Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.31: Barnsley at home

I saw those stats and wondered how many passes were in our own half, likewise possession.
Barnsley weren’t brilliant, but were dominant and more determined.
Most teams we play are far stronger on the ball.

Paul, as usual a brilliant summary.
There appears to be the mindset "keep possession" even if it means going back to centre half or goalkeeper and don't risk doing anything too creative.
Twice in the first 15 minutes we had a throw in, about 15 yards in their half, in front of South Stand. We hardly looked at the option of throwing the ball forward, just took the easy option of throwing it back towards halfway line, then back again to Moore. 2nd time I think it even went back to Cummings.
From that position, of 35 yards from opposition goal line we MUST go forward, surely one player can make a run down the line, he can't be off side.
It is sometimes similar with a free kick we have in opposition half we can't end up 10 yards in our own half or even back at our own GK from a dead ball situation.

Given we are supposed to have had 17 shots in that match, I'm left wondering what defines a shot these days!

Excellent report as ever, Paul. I think some of the passing along the back line happens because there's often not much movement (or many bodies) in central midfield to receive the ball (CB being the honourable exception), so the options are limited.

Must confess I'm easily puzzled by formations. According to the BBC report we played 3-4-2-1. If so, there should have been 4 midfield options. It didn't really look like it and I wonder whether the players were puzzled too!

cheers @Paul B insightful as always - re our sizable injury list, what ever happened to sports science ?, a system that was introduced under IL's tenure, and for a time injured players recovered quicker , OUFC shelled out a bit on that system , yet its been all quiet on that front for some time now

If I have to watch another game where the opposition winger has the space and time to have himself a picnic as Cadden did on Tuesday, I think I will go insane. Is there something I am not understanding about how football is played? because someone needs to sit me down and explain why this is deemed acceptable and us never rectified, because it's a tactic of some sort.

Thanks Paul. (I was starting to worry I’d missed your report.) Excellent as always and very nicely articulates the general frustration and current despondency. I’m less and less convinced that Des is right for us. We generally do well when we play out of our skins. But can Des motivate? I wish he’d sound tougher in interviews.

Back
Top Bottom