Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.24: Burton at home

Dear old Gary Newbon. I remember in my student days Central TV bigged up a "Gary Newbon interview with Muhammed Ali" all week. Come Friday it never happened because Gary was run over by a taxi outside New Street dashing to be on time for the interview.

“He swapped foots there” - inarticulate as that is, it’s a point worth noting. Few players in league one have a decent ‘second’ foot, something we take for granted when watching the premier league (though I try not to). RR does, and it contributes to him being a much better player; more skilful and less easy to predict his movement.
On a side note, there’s a centre back at this club who actually hasn’t got a decent ‘strong’ foot. But he’s been dropped.

Getting names wrong was not all radio derby…

Don’t think I miss heard on Saturday when Nathan (?) announced our team for the first time? I had to ask my neighbour who on earth was that “Mark Hughes” ? A new striker perhaps? Well if he was, and he took the 9 shirt for the game …🫢

….and good old Nick H often struggles with anything more complicated than Mills. 😉

Don’t think I miss heard on Saturday when Nathan (?) announced our team for the first time? I had to ask my neighbour who on earth was that “Mark Hughes” ? A new striker perhaps? Well if he was, and he took the 9 shirt for the game …🫢

….and good old Nick H often struggles with anything more complicated than Mills. 😉
Funny you should say that. In my first draft I had referenced Nick H but removed it. :)

Particularly enjoyed @Colin B's contribution here - and if you're the sort of poster who (with all respect to this feature) glosses over these posts I would suggest you take this one in.

The Boardroom anecdotes are great, the finances that allow Burton to punch above their weight are worth understanding too. And like Colin I have an element of respect for them as a club. Aside from the fact that Burton has historically been a very decent away day, they've done what they've done fairly and sustainably - which definitely can't be said for many of their equivalents.

As an aside @Paul B - I do read your (away) reports, though almost exclusively for future pub recommendations!

Particularly enjoyed @Colin B's contribution here - and if you're the sort of poster who (with all respect to this feature) glosses over these posts I would suggest you take this one in.

The Boardroom anecdotes are great, the finances that allow Burton to punch above their weight are worth understanding too. And like Colin I have an element of respect for them as a club. Aside from the fact that Burton has historically been a very decent away day, they've done what they've done fairly and sustainably - which definitely can't be said for many of their equivalents.

As an aside @Paul B - I do read your (away) reports, though almost exclusively for future pub recommendations!
Yes the financial bit was so interesting, we were wondering at the game how they managed to compete on their tiny gates.

The Newbon/Clough digression was superb!

Nagging sense of guilt that I can't find anything specific to praise in Paul's typically readable and resonant report.

I know, I know. It's a team game nowadays.

Great report as usual.
Wonder if there was a Friends of Old Pirelli Factory group in Burton in the early 2000s? Just look at what can be done (on a small scale) with the right plans in place.

Couldn’t agree more about Colin’s financial insight and boardroom anecdotes. I’ve never ventured into the boardroom – that’s whole new world. And on the financial side CB has it at his fingertips. I had to do research each time and try and remember what Kieran Maguire had said.

Couldn’t agree more about Colin’s financial insight and boardroom anecdotes. I’ve never ventured into the boardroom – that’s whole new world. And on the financial side CB has it at his fingertips. I had to do research each time and try and remember what Kieran Maguire had said.
It's not all at my fingertips Paul, and I do have to do a bit of research sometimes. And when I can't find the information I need, I just make it up!!!🤣🤣

Interesting - I often can't hear the PA, but I also heard 'Mark Hughes' announced on Saturday!

I agree about one footed players - it's comical at times watching players who avoid even a short pass with their 'wrong' foot and need to trundle into position to lay the ball off.

I'll add my thanks to Paul and Colin, interesting read as ever.

It's not all at my fingertips Paul, and I do have to do a bit of research sometimes. And when I can't find the information I need, I just make it up!!!🤣🤣
Well you fooled me. Probably better at spreadsheets than me. :)

Thanks Paul, Colin.
So Burton's turnover is £6.81M (less £100k for player trading profits)
Oxford's turnover was £6.88M
So effectively, despite the huge difference in attendances, financially we are the same size club, apart from our owners spend approximately £2M ish more on salaries which creates our loss compared to Burton aiming to break even.
Looking at Burton's website, they are advertising/have the following:-
During whole of December - Christmas Party nights every Friday & Saturday and New Year Eve's Gala night
Conferencing - Play hosts to business meetings, exhibitions, conferences, seminars, breakfast meetings. The Albion Suite is for 300 delegates; Bradbury Lounge, up to 100 delegates. The nine executive boxes ideal for smaller business meetings and/or break out rooms.
Banqueting - Offer bespoke events like proms, birthday parties, christenings, wakes, retirement celebrations, presentation evenings, charity fundraisers.
The main stand is used 7 days a week, up to 14 hours a day, they have everything covered.
I suppose really the football is a side event!!
As regards Ben Robinson, I can confirm what Colin has said, he seems a really decent genuine guy, good business acumen, likes his football and actively involved in the local community. I've been lucky to be invited into exec box by a client for Oxford games and every time Ben pops in to say hello, very quick comment on the football and check all is OK. Also the food served is excellent, 3 decent courses + cheese & biscuits, plenty of tea & coffee, good choice of beers (for that type of establishment, though not quite up to Paul's real ales!) & wines.

Thanks Paul, Colin.
So Burton's turnover is £6.81M (less £100k for player trading profits)
Oxford's turnover was £6.88M
So effectively, despite the huge difference in attendances, financially we are the same size club, apart from our owners spend approximately £2M ish more on salaries which creates our loss compared to Burton aiming to break even.
Looking at Burton's website, they are advertising/have the following:-
During whole of December - Christmas Party nights every Friday & Saturday and New Year Eve's Gala night
Conferencing - Play hosts to business meetings, exhibitions, conferences, seminars, breakfast meetings. The Albion Suite is for 300 delegates; Bradbury Lounge, up to 100 delegates. The nine executive boxes ideal for smaller business meetings and/or break out rooms.
Banqueting - Offer bespoke events like proms, birthday parties, christenings, wakes, retirement celebrations, presentation evenings, charity fundraisers.
The main stand is used 7 days a week, up to 14 hours a day, they have everything covered.
I suppose really the football is a side event!!
As regards Ben Robinson, I can confirm what Colin has said, he seems a really decent genuine guy, good business acumen, likes his football and actively involved in the local community. I've been lucky to be invited into exec box by a client for Oxford games and every time Ben pops in to say hello, very quick comment on the football and check all is OK. Also the food served is excellent, 3 decent courses + cheese & biscuits, plenty of tea & coffee, good choice of beers (for that type of establishment, though not quite up to Paul's real ales!) & wines.
Yes, the food, wine, and hospitality is top drawer. I had the best red wine I've ever had there a few years ago (I'm normally a white wine drinker, but it was a beautiful shin of beef main course, so it had to be red) and it turns out that it was from the vineyard of a business associate of Ben's. He'd been gifted some, and liked it so much that he bought a few cases for the Boardroom. It's that level of attention to detail that makes all the difference, and is something we can only dream of until we leave The Kassam Stadium.

On the financial side, what these reports hopefully illustrate to people (who may not normally take notice of financial stuff) is how hampered we are with the current stadium set up. It's not just our lack of income from the sort of things you mention above, but the high rent and other charges that we have to pay make it a double whammy. We've been brilliant at player trading over recent years, but when we have a season without it the numbers look stark.

Back
Top Bottom