Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.11: Shrewsbury at home

Maybe this state of trepidation is an age thing Paul? Mrs L and myself said something along the lines of "it'll go wrong in a moment" whenever the triangle passing mode was switched on. It was close a couple of times but we still looked far and away better than Shrewsbury.

Some great insights there @Colin B ! Loving the story of the wine and chips. Knowing what sort of stuff is turned out by the Kasstad kitchen I don't think I can disagree with his opinion though!

Excellent Paul. I am normally as pessimistic as you ( never such thing as an easy game), but having listened to NTT20 recently, Shrewsbury did sound a really poor side so I did think that we would win comfortably. It won't be that easy Saturday.

Love the Financial analysis and stories Colin. I believe that under Cotterill, Shrewsbury 'went for it' a bit. Roland seems to have cut back this season and at the same time Cotterill left.

I'm a lazy sod, so I'll do just the one reply to @Manorlounger and @Foley if you don't mind.

Yes, the Boardroom food at The Kassam Stadium is an embarrassment compared to virtually every other club I've visited, even some of those without particularly good facilities. Quite frankly he doesn't give a toss, and charges the club a ridiculous amount for the rubbish that he serves up. So those that think it's all fine dining are wide of the mark when it comes to home games. But my real point was that there is a boardroom protocol that you thank your hosts and don't complain (not always easy, especially after a defeat!) and it's this that Roland Wycherley thought he was above, and it wasn't just the one occasion.

Under Cotterill Shrewsbury never "went for it" to the extent that people think and their wages and salaries for the period he was manager were pretty similar to those in my report. I think it was all a bit of hyperbole that probably suited Wycherley at the time, as it could have put the fan pressure on his manager rather than himself.

Also, @Paul B my Bristol Rovers report will be fairly brief as they're one of those that don't publish full accounts, and what they do publish is hard to believe! All to be revealed in the next Fan's View.....................

I'm a lazy sod, so I'll do just the one reply to @Manorlounger and @Foley if you don't mind.

Yes, the Boardroom food at The Kassam Stadium is an embarrassment compared to virtually every other club I've visited, even some of those without particularly good facilities. Quite frankly he doesn't give a toss, and charges the club a ridiculous amount for the rubbish that he serves up. So those that think it's all fine dining are wide of the mark when it comes to home games. But my real point was that there is a boardroom protocol that you thank your hosts and don't complain (not always easy, especially after a defeat!) and it's this that Roland Wycherley thought he was above, and it wasn't just the one occasion.

Under Cotterill Shrewsbury never "went for it" to the extent that people think and their wages and salaries for the period he was manager were pretty similar to those in my report. I think it was all a bit of hyperbole that probably suited Wycherley at the time, as it could have put the fan pressure on his manager rather than himself.

Also, @Paul B my Bristol Rovers report will be fairly brief as they're one of those that don't publish full accounts, and what they do publish is hard to believe! All to be revealed in the next Fan's View.....................

What a showman!

I take your point about Rodrigues and McEachran, but the former just offers that point of difference - the ability to play a killer pass, or just put his foot in and create problems in an advanced position. It was noticeable once he and Bodin were off that there was no one playing in the 'hole' and that was part of the reason everything slowed down.

About 15 years ago, I took a dozen Dutch colleagues to the Kassam to have a meal and watch Oxford vs Carlisle. All paid for by the company.
we were shown into a large room with a buffet style selection. We queue, they opened the first tray, empty, the second, empty and so on. We ended up with 8 inch dry pizzas.
I being a Grumpy Git asked to speak to whomever was in charge. Out comes one of his lackeys who was completely disinterested, until I mentioned that the company had booked a Christmas party for several hundred and I’d be speaking to the person who was organising the party.
It was so Kassam, take the money and run.
The only positive thing about the night was listening to the Dutch singing the referee’s a wa**er in Dutch

I take your point about Rodrigues and McEachran, but the former just offers that point of difference - the ability to play a killer pass, or just put his foot in and create problems in an advanced position. It was noticeable once he and Bodin were off that there was no one playing in the 'hole' and that was part of the reason everything slowed down.
A risk and reward thing? Rodrigues more likely to play the killer pass but also more likely to lose the ball than JMcE

Châteauneuf du Pape, how cliched! A decent burgundy (ideally a southern Cote de Beaune), or Bordeaux (St Estephe, Margaux, etc.) and I might have been impressed 🍷😉

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom