Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.50 - Forest Green Rovers away

Well-measured report as ever. Thanks for your diligence and perseverance this season, it's appreciated.

I was tickled by one sentence - "I can only recall one fleeting moment when I thought we might be slightly under manned at the back and we got to half time with that single goal lead." Had I been watching I'd have shat myself (I paid £2.50 then gifted iFollow the same when I discovered Peter Rhodes-Boyson wasn't involved; who wouldn't?). I'd have seen the 'captain' watching Finlay lose a header after FGR hoofed a hopeful clearance then amble after the attacker he was supposed to be marking into the box; well saved Simon Eastwood.

It was nice to see his trademark failure displayed once again; anyway, onwards and upwards. Maybe.

It was a very friendly place to visit. We wanted to have a mooch around the shops but the sight of the hill walk to the ground meant we took the park & ride bus direct. At the final whistle we applauded the FGR players off, they all looked shell shocked but, still found time to acknowledge their own fans and say hello to a few who were waiting by the pitch exit. Mrs L and myself wish them well for next season and beyond.
Must also mention the representative of their supporters organisation selling draw tickets, a real character and, a good salesman! We were also amused by the text on the side of the facilities by the Brewdog beer stand. Apparently they recycle the contents of the loos and sprinkle it onto the pitch! (we assume it is treated first)

The George pub was full of Oxford supporters and a really good find. A good local ale as well.
A really good ( steep) walk to the ground.
In the middle of the Cotswolds, it sure is no Luton
I've been to the George a few times when we played them quite a few years back. Got lost in the woods once after the landlord assured us it was a quick and easy short cut. Thought we might miss kick off but we didn't.

Five minutes gone: “Get it wide, get it wide! Oh for f**ks sake get it wide!!” yells the man to my right. Moore down the middle to McGuane ; on centrally to Joseph; two, three steps…. goal.
Man shuts up.

Nailsworth is in my neck of the woods. FGR’s ground has good memories for me but it’s a b****r to get to and from. Hopefully never again though. As a club you can’t dislike them but let’s leave them where they’re heading; we should be going in the opposite direction.

Thanks Paul for all the entertaining reads again this season.

I went to a birthday party at Egypt Mill last year, lovely spot!

Any memory of 86 should surely bring great joy to us ?

It would be great to an ultras surfer tribute to our 86 glory the week that they turn up
Fleetwood and Stevenage vying for worst away support?

Excellent report as usual, thanks for taking the time and energy to do these I always look forward to them.

My only small gripe is I don't think you've quite captured the sense absolute pure, unadulterated relief that we'd secured our L1 status despite the horror show of the last few months and the carnage the previous chap did was put to rest.The nervousness amongst the fans has been palpable so the cheers and relief after the end (waiting for MKD result) was a joy to behold.

Maybe the inquest should start next Monday though.

Excellent report as usual, thanks for taking the time and energy to do these I always look forward to them.

My only small gripe is I don't think you've quite captured the sense absolute pure, unadulterated relief that we'd secured our L1 status despite the horror show of the last few months and the carnage the previous chap did was put to rest.The nervousness amongst the fans has been palpable so the cheers and relief after the end (waiting for MKD result) was a joy to behold.

Maybe the inquest should start next Monday though.
Relief yes, but for me that was tempered with a bit of anger that we'd ended up there in the first place. And I never felt it remotely in doubt on the day so all credit to the players and our new manager for that. Therefore tension didn't really kick in. And even if we'd cocked this up a win on the final day against Accrington would still have kept us up.

Back
Top Bottom