Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.42 - Morecambe away

The decision to make it all-ticket was ridiculous. I had two friends make late a decision to come. Both had accepted that they would more than likely have to watch from the home seats, however, MFC were happy to sell them terrace tickets at the away ticket collection point.

A relief for them, but stupidity from MFC to make it all ticket at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t go up this year. Three weeks ago made other arrangements - couldn’t stand Robinson; couldn’t stand his football. Hopefully we’ll be playing them up there next year again in league 1.

But I wouldn’t bet on it.

We could well be playing them again - in L2!
The mood captured well Paul. Our owners make me weep - their communication with fans - 2 out of 10.

I posted something on the match day thread about our inability to retain possession from throw ins. The goal conceded, as you say @Paul B , came from just that scenario. Ably assisted by some slack marking and Eastwood unable to get anywhere near to saving. Same old, same old.
Mr Manning has made some impression though. Starting Smyth was a novelty, sadly, not having played anywhere near enough this season, he tired well before the 90 and lost any effectiveness.
Two weeks to the next outing and a much sterner task. Maybe Manning will have more of a squad to choose from by then. Maybe the tactics he wants to use will have become more embedded in the player's minds. Mrs L and myself will be there. We've also got a hotel within walking distance of the ground so might even indulge in glass of something before the game. Purely medicinal, of course!

The mood captured well Paul. Our owners make me weep - their communication with fans - 2 out of 10.
generous out of 10 award there (imo) @Victor1986 .... Id be hard pushed to give them 1/10

Mr Manning has made some impression though.
I actually thought we looked worse than the two games under Short, despite getting a point. We created much less on Saturday than we did against either Derby or Lincoln. To be honest, it felt a lot like watching the end of Robinson’s reign. Nothing in the final third and no real style of play at all. It was poor. At least in the games before we should’ve easily gotten something from both. I can’t say that I felt that we did watching the Morecambe game. We didn’t deserve to win the game, even if it looked like we might.

I think that Manning got a lot wrong. Playing Smyth much further forward than Brannagan, leaving Smyth on for at least 15 minutes after his legs had gone when Bate was sitting there (he made that change but not until injury time when we had already blown it), leaving Goodrham’s energy and industry on the bench when Browne was also increasingly shot as the game went on, bringing Murphy on… he got loads wrong IMO. I was very disappointed despite thinking we might get away with it until a few minutes from the end.

I have to say, too, that while I was initially relieved to hear a change of tone from Robinson’s bullshit hysterics, I’m not sure I agree with Manning’s lack of urgency. “There are plenty of points to play for” he said in his first meeting with the players. No, there aren’t. We need points now. Morecambe was more or less the best chance we could’ve been presented with, especially after they played midweek. And got hammered by an average at best Charlton team, by the way. You can still have a calmness to you while stressing that the players have lost the right to be cuddled and sheltered from the fact that they’re firmly in the s**t. It doesn’t make you a doom merchant to walk in there and go, “We will get out of this, but it starts right now, and we don’t have time for excuses or for anybody to find their balls.”

There is no choice but to get behind everybody until the end of the season and hope that we just about manage to flop over the finish line before soiling our collective pants in exhaustion, and I am categorically not writing him off or getting on his back in anything I am saying. I am not “on his case” or whatever. But I do think he is going to need to learn fast and is going to have to very quickly drop this casual attitude that there’s loads of time and nobody should worry.

We are beyond that, and I think the players could do with being made to front up now. There are a lot of them on a lot of money, with a lot of experience of playing much higher and much better than this, who are currently moping about and acting sorry for themselves while looking for a kiss on the forehead.

I still don’t think it has dawned on far too many people just how bad this is, whether they’re a manager one game into a job or a fan of 50/60/70 years.

I posted something on the match day thread about our inability to retain possession from throw ins. The goal conceded, as you say @Paul B , came from just that scenario. Ably assisted by some slack marking and Eastwood unable to get anywhere near to saving. Same old, same old.
Mr Manning has made some impression though. Starting Smyth was a novelty, sadly, not having played anywhere near enough this season, he tired well before the 90 and lost any effectiveness.
Two weeks to the next outing and a much sterner task. Maybe Manning will have more of a squad to choose from by then. Maybe the tactics he wants to use will have become more embedded in the player's minds. Mrs L and myself will be there. We've also got a hotel within walking distance of the ground so might even indulge in glass of something before the game. Purely medicinal, of course!
Drinks before the game might dull the pain

We've got to hope that Plymouth absolutely crush Stanley tomorrow night.

And with MKD picking up a couple of wins in the last two and then playing Morecambe this Saturday, they could well be above us by the final whistle on Saturday.

What price on both us and Stanley needing to get something out of the last game of the season?

Extremely likely I'd say!

This seems soo similar to the relegation to the conference, just sleep walking to the abyss, I would have hoped that the manager (who ever had been appointed) would have made it quite clear that it’s time to extract the digest and attempt to win , we do not have the luxury to have plenty of points to get if we are incapable of getting them in the first place

This seems soo similar to the relegation to the conference, just sleep walking to the abyss, I would have hoped that the manager (who ever had been appointed) would have made it quite clear that it’s time to extract the digest and attempt to win , we do not have the luxury to have plenty of points to get if we are incapable of getting them in the first place
I know - it's depressing isn't it?

The only thing going in our favour at the moment is goal difference - could be pretty crucial by the end of the season!

I actually thought we looked worse than the two games under Short, despite getting a point. We created much less on Saturday than we did against either Derby or Lincoln. To be honest, it felt a lot like watching the end of Robinson’s reign. Nothing in the final third and no real style of play at all. It was poor. At least in the games before we should’ve easily gotten something from both. I can’t say that I felt that we did watching the Morecambe game. We didn’t deserve to win the game, even if it looked like we might.

I think that Manning got a lot wrong. Playing Smyth much further forward than Brannagan, leaving Smyth on for at least 15 minutes after his legs had gone when Bate was sitting there (he made that change but not until injury time when we had already blown it), leaving Goodrham’s energy and industry on the bench when Browne was also increasingly shot as the game went on, bringing Murphy on… he got loads wrong IMO. I was very disappointed despite thinking we might get away with it until a few minutes from the end.
My impression was that he had given directions and a change in tactics. Whether that improved things, or not, the outcome wasn't much better. To see Smyth given a start and Goodrham and Bate given little or no time on the pitch was probably testament to Mannings preferred physicality over anything else. Again, Smyth in the front of midfield when we all would have expected Brannagan to lead.
The fact remains that he doesn't have the personnel to play his way yet. To watch Moore and Findlay nervously tapping the ball to each other was excruciating. I can't get my head around Murphy at all. The sooner he's blown out the better. As for playing him ahead of Goodrham, a mystery.

Perhaps the enforced break will see more analysis of the squad and maybe, a change for the better when we play Peterborough.

I have to say, too, that while I was initially relieved to hear a change of tone from Robinson’s bullshit hysterics, I’m not sure I agree with Manning’s lack of urgency. “There are plenty of points to play for” he said in his first meeting with the players. No, there aren’t. We need points now. Morecambe was more or less the best chance we could’ve been presented with, especially after they played midweek. And got hammered by an average at best Charlton team, by the way. You can still have a calmness to you while stressing that the players have lost the right to be cuddled and sheltered from the fact that they’re firmly in the s**t. It doesn’t make you a doom merchant to walk in there and go, “We will get out of this, but it starts right now, and we don’t have time for excuses or for anybody to find their balls.”

There is no choice but to get behind everybody until the end of the season and hope that we just about manage to flop over the finish line before soiling our collective pants in exhaustion, and I am categorically not writing him off or getting on his back in anything I am saying. I am not “on his case” or whatever. But I do think he is going to need to learn fast and is going to have to very quickly drop this casual attitude that there’s loads of time and nobody should worry.

We are beyond that, and I think the players could do with being made to front up now. There are a lot of them on a lot of money, with a lot of experience of playing much higher and much better than this, who are currently moping about and acting sorry for themselves while looking for a kiss on the forehead.

I still don’t think it has dawned on far too many people just how bad this is, whether they’re a manager one game into a job or a fan of 50/60/70 years.
I said similar on the way back to the car on Saturday, as you did with your Short point. Someone else in the group questioned why the subs came on so late and if some of the back line were played out of position. Mannering seemed a little too laid back in his early assessment of the task ahead. He will have had the best part of a quarter of the season, being 3 points outside the relegation zone as a starting point.

Just a point about substitutions, what others are saying that we should have bought whoever on late in the game. Players should be able to play 90mins, and if they can’t then they are not fit enough. Just saying…..

And also I’ve switched off to relegation. We’ve been so f*****g rubbish this season we will deserve it if we go down. Just saying……..

I would be surprised.
I reckon it is likely to be us or Accrington who go down.
FGR just about down and Cambridge and Morecambe have a huge amount to do.
It is in the stars that we play Accrington last game of the season - winner takes it all

I would be surprised.
I reckon it is likely to be us or Accrington who go down.
FGR just about down and Cambridge and Morecambe have a huge amount to do.
It is in the stars that we play Accrington last game of the season - winner takes it all
We've had a history of swapping leagues with Accrington since our last season in the old Southern league when they went into administration, paving the way for us to replace them in the football league.
Whose turn is it to go down this time?

Back
Top Bottom