Fan's View Fan's View 22/23 - No.2 - Derby away

Thanks Paul it’s great to be rounding off the weekend reading a FV again. Nearly being crushed when we scored was my overriding memory of the last visit to Derby!

A good read as ever, passed you by in the Smithfield........... nice place, paid by contactless, and nothing has come out of my account yet. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I went to the baseball ground in 1971 (I think),Easter sat v Leeds utd, title decider, never seen so much wet mud on a pitch, the ground staff were marking the white lines in the goal area, wind blew the white line sideways as it was floating on mud.

Derby won 2-0 , players on both teams were coated in it at full time

I went to the baseball ground in 1971 (I think),Easter sat v Leeds utd, title decider, never seen so much wet mud on a pitch, the ground staff were marking the white lines in the goal area, wind blew the white line sideways as it was floating on mud.

Derby won 2-0 , players on both teams were coated in it at full time
It wasn't much better in this classic from '77. Pitch was so bad that when Derby won a penalty they couldn't find the spot so had to paint it on again before it could be taken...

A good read as ever, passed you by in the Smithfield........... nice place, paid by contactless, and nothing has come out of my account yet. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I paid by card in there too. But not contactless - that has not been working on my card for ages even though I have been told the problem has been fixed. There had been a Visa network issue.
It wasn't much better in this classic from '77. Pitch was so bad that when Derby won a penalty they couldn't find the spot so had to paint it on again before it could be taken...

I remember watching that on Star Soccer at the time.

Good to have you back again, Paul! Yes, I am guessing that there were probably some equally bad pitches elsewhere but the Baseball Ground is the one that went down in folklore – mud everywhere... except where the mud was so bad, they put sand over the top... and where a back pass to the keeper was fraught with danger as the ball would suddenly stop, stuck in the mud!

Agreed, we will need a few more games to be able to put Saturday into context – SW and Ipswich drawing at home and MK losing were probably not the starts they wanted either. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom