FA Cup FA Cup replays

The German Cup draw has all lower-league teams in one pot and all Bundesliga 1 and 2 teams in another. All lower teams get home advantage and the game is done in one day, ET and penalties. Lower-league clubs still get a good payday and TV money, less fixture congestion and giant killings still happen at roughly the rate as in England. It's a decent system once you get used to it.

It’s a ‘hard no’ from me. Any type of manipulation of the draw is wrong. I don’t like North/South regionalisation in our League Cup, let alone the ‘Championship/top half L1 v bottom half L1/L2’ split. Highly manipulative, boring and quite frankly patronising.

If the average fan has lost interest in a particular competition it’s a shame, but it’s even more of a shame to have to artificially manipulate it by changing the format in any way. The FA Cup should be (as should the League Cup for that matter) a completely open draw (at least from the First Round Proper). No seeds, no regions, one off cup tie that goes to a replay if it ends in a draw (or two legs for the League Cup). For me, as soon as you start tinkering the whole thing falls apart. The Football League Trophy was already a steaming pile of turd, but the PL kids teams have now completely killed it. Any further manipulation of the League Cup or FA Cup will (IMHO) only do the same for these.

As a wider point, no disrespect to Germany, but their League system has nowhere near the depth of ours - none of the big countries of Europe do for that matter. In Spain you only need to go down like 2 divisions before its farmers playing fishermen on a dusty plain. It’s why the FA made a song and dance about our 11k+ attendance v Luton in the fifth tier when they were bidding for a tournament - the comparable level elsewhere is regionalised amateur dogsh*t.

It’s also why arrogant patronising types like Guardiola just do not get it. The English Football League system does not exist to serve the national football team (as he has implied) and it most definitely doesn’t exist to serve the needs of Manchester City or any other club with delusions of grandeur on the European stage.

Guardiola can - and I mean this in the nicest possible sense – get tae f*ck.

It’s a ‘hard no’ from me. Any type of manipulation of the draw is wrong. I don’t like North/South regionalisation in our League Cup, let alone the ‘Championship/top half L1 v bottom half L1/L2’ split. Highly manipulative, boring and quite frankly patronising.

If the average fan has lost interest in a particular competition it’s a shame, but it’s even more of a shame to have to artificially manipulate it by changing the format in any way. The FA Cup should be (as should the League Cup for that matter) a completely open draw (at least from the First Round Proper). No seeds, no regions, one off cup tie that goes to a replay if it ends in a draw (or two legs for the League Cup). For me, as soon as you start tinkering the whole thing falls apart. The Football League Trophy was already a steaming pile of turd, but the PL kids teams have now completely killed it. Any further manipulation of the League Cup or FA Cup will (IMHO) only do the same for these.

As a wider point, no disrespect to Germany, but their League system has nowhere near the depth of ours - none of the big countries of Europe do for that matter. In Spain you only need to go down like 2 divisions before its farmers playing fishermen on a dusty plain. It’s why the FA made a song and dance about our 11k+ attendance v Luton in the fifth tier when they were bidding for a tournament - the comparable level elsewhere is regionalised amateur dogsh*t.

It’s also why arrogant patronising types like Guardiola just do not get it. The English Football League system does not exist to serve the national football team (as he has implied) and it most definitely doesn’t exist to serve the needs of Manchester City or any other club with delusions of grandeur on the European stage.

Guardiola can - and I mean this in the nicest possible sense – get tae f*ck.
agree 100% on how the FA Cup (and League Cup) should be drawn, and played with replays , until a winner is decided, like the good old days.... however, sadly ,the horse has not only bolted, its long died and gone to the glue factory, regarding both competitions , certainly since the PL was created and the £ for being relegated from that level far, far exceeds any kudos, never mind prize money, for winning eith Cup competition. Both The FA and EFL have criminally allowed the PL to dictate to them from the off , to the detriment of both major domestic club competitions, and IMO to the detriment of English football

At the time, the FA were more concerned with slapping down the Football League than acting for the good of the game. There are plenty of articles on 'tinternet concerning the creation of the "FA Premier League" - this one from The Guardian is representative

What they didn't forsee was Rupert Murdoch going all in with the future of Sky TV and now the tail is wagging the dog....

I wouldn't. It's the FA Cup, the oldest cup competition in the world. These clubs should respect the history and play it as it is. Don't want replays? Win the game in the first place.
Good post. Going back to the fifties ( sorry ) I seem to remember a second or even third replay, Sheffield United or York City perhaps. Then again, it was the only cup competition and it meant so much. Everything seems to have been watered down.

Good post. Going back to the fifties ( sorry ) I seem to remember a second or even third replay, Sheffield United or York City perhaps. Then again, it was the only cup competition and it meant so much. Everything seems to have been watered down.
I can remember the Arsenal-Liverpool FA Cup semi-final of 1980 going to 3 replays I think it was. Can you imagine what Klopp would make of that.

Oxford had a second replay against Chelmsford City in the 60s, before my time but I expect a few on here will remember it.

I can remember the Arsenal-Liverpool FA Cup semi-final of 1980 going to 3 replays I think it was. Can you imagine what Klopp would make of that.

Oxford had a second replay against Chelmsford City in the 60s, before my time but I expect a few on here will remember it.
I actually quite like going straight to penalties- extra time is generally dreary. The classic scenario of holding the big team on your cabbage patch and getting to play at their huge ground is still appealing though.

I can ... and the toothy bin dipper can fuckrightoff

albeit league cup ... we had 2 replays as well as the intial tie to finally beat BigRons Man U at the Manor , .... with no complaints from Big Ron if memory serves

albeit league cup ... we had 2 replays as well as the intial tie to finally beat BigRons Man U at the Manor , .... with no complaints from Big Ron if memory serves
Well they complained about coming back to The Manor when Maxwell won the coin toss 😂

Played at Griffin Park if memory serves me correctly. Lost 1-0. Oxford Mail headline." A night to forget.....in a hurry".

Back
Top Bottom