End of iFollow

• The formula splits the League’s distributable revenue depending on the values sourced from broadcast and other income but the current effective share is approximately Championship 70%, League One 18% and League Two 12%.
  • According to the existing distribution formula, clubs in the Championship will be approximately 46% better off and 25% in League One and League Two respectively
The gap between Championship and League One is set to get even wider. Next season would be a good time to get promoted!

f*****g tail wagging the dog

football should be 3pm ko on Saturdays, and 7.30/7.45pm ko tues or wed eve

EFL are going to really P**s off a lot a fans by allowing sky to decide when games are played and also that the only other option to watch your team if its a clash with feasible working hours is to buy a damn sky sport package- that'll work out at more than the ifollow £10 per game. -Im not remotely interested in watching the likes of MK , Wycombe etc . As for keeping the Saturday 3pm embargo. Given they're taking 10 games out of the equation for a Sat 3pm ko , what a load of bollox

Should just let everyone stream whatever games they want at whatever time they are, the 3pm embargo is actually hurting match going fans and those who support from further afield in the UK and can’t get to every game.

If you are going to go to a game in person you are going to go whether it’s on tv or not, I do a hundred mile round journey to home games and I have still gone when we have been on tv. The games I have watched on IFollow and paid a tenner for (having already paid to go in on my season ticket) I was never going to in person for various reasons so it makes no difference.

The only people who lose out as usual are the fans, football just needs to move on from the 3pm Saturday rule now, it’s obsolete and life/technology has passed it by.

A Gillingham fan who lives in Calais has a much better deal than a Gillingham fan who lives in Inverness now all because of a rule bought in donkeys years ago, that’s how ridiculous it is.

Should just let everyone stream whatever games they want at whatever time they are, the 3pm embargo is actually hurting match going fans and those who support from further afield in the UK and can’t get to every game.

If you are going to go to a game in person you are going to go whether it’s on tv or not, I do a hundred mile round journey to home games and I have still gone when we have been on tv. The games I have watched on IFollow and paid a tenner for (having already paid to go in on my season ticket) I was never going to in person for various reasons so it makes no difference.

The only people who lose out as usual are the fans, football just needs to move on from the 3pm Saturday rule now, it’s obsolete and life/technology has passed it by.

A Gillingham fan who lives in Calais has a much better deal than a Gillingham fan who lives in Inverness now all because of a rule bought in donkeys years ago, that’s how ridiculous it is.
Agreed, it’s especially illogical when there can be a sold out Oxford game that I literally cannot get tickets for, yet it would be illegal for me to pay £10 to the club to stream it because of… reasons? Because that would hurt… someone? And there would easily be the technology to unlock paid video subscriptions on sold-out Saturday 3pm games, it would literally be the press of a button somewhere.

Agreed, it’s especially illogical when there can be a sold out Oxford game that I literally cannot get tickets for, yet it would be illegal for me to pay £10 to the club to stream it because of… reasons? Because that would hurt… someone? And there would easily be the technology to unlock paid video subscriptions on sold-out Saturday 3pm games, it would literally be the press of a button somewhere.

It’s getting weird now, like they are going out of their way to be difficult rather than just taking the easy option.

Still when you are travelling to Plymouth for a 12pm kick off at least you can rest easy in your seat knowing that their won’t be a televised 3pm kick off on.

Looks dodge to me, undersold again. 50% increase in value to the EFL but Sky getting about 500% more EFL games. Presumably Sky getting their contingency plans in place in case they lose in the bidding for the Premier League rights.
This is exactly what it is. The PL will finally catch up to just about every other major sports league in the western world, who have had their own streaming platforms for years, by having a ‘PremFlix’ style offering. The stadiums will still be full and everyone will finally realise that they’ve wasted at least half a decade, if not more, by running away and flapping their hands at a little camera on the halfway line.

And rather than expanding and greatly improving an already existing system in iFollow, so that the EFL can monetise its own brand value and the clubs have a more hands on input and direct revenue stream, they’ve sold it off to the same people who are about to lose the PL monopoly.

Honestly - the people in charge of running football in this country are an utter joke.

Wouldn’t it have been better to go in with the premier league on Football Flix/prime/plus/whatever the B*****s it will be called as they will need content?

It's odd how they can pick and choose when the 3pm blackout applies. Man City vs Leeds was shown on TV yesterday with a 3pm KO due to the coronation. So why is it ok to do it then and no other time just because a man is getting fitted with a crown*?

*I wont get in to a debate about my thoughts on the coronation as a whole on this thread!

I don't think that there will be changes at 7 days notice.
Apparently all TV games to the end of the year will be announced before the start of the season (I believe)
As it says: "The defined notice periods will enable clubs and fans to plan further in advance and this will include the placement of all live matches selected for broadcast for the period to FA Cup 3rd Round before the start of the season."

So, first half of the season all pre-selected before start of season. After that "defined notice periods" though doesn't yet say what that period is.

I don’t know that I buy Premflix replacing Sky in the UK.

Premier League UK TV rights went for c. £1.7bn per season last time round.

Let’s assume for sake of argument that Premflix costs the same £250 that a nine month Sky sports subscription currently goes for. Viewers get more Premier League games but lose all other parts of the sport offering so it’s as good an assumption as any.

To avoid losing money, Premflix has to be sold to 6.8m of the roughly 20m UK households. Bearing in mind that they’ll probably sell a lot less subscriptions in, say, Scotland, and that they will offer absolutely no non-football non-Premier League content, that’s no mean feat.

They have to sell to even more, or at an even higher price, when you factor in the costs they’ll take on for producing content in-house, working out how to deliver it to people, and pumping out relentless propaganda, all of which will currently be Sky’s problem.

It makes more sense for Sky, because they can use the sport to sell a bunch of other services that people would probably do without, or buy elsewhere, if not for the sport. They also share the cost with Amazon and BT, who each do the same.

Whilst the NFL does have its own streaming service, it also gets more than $10bn a year from domestic TV rights which are absolutely the more important source of revenue, which is further reflected in the massive restrictions placed on domestic streaming to make sure the NFL isn’t harming its TV-company customers.

Obviously above is all speculation and I know nothing, but if I had to guess then I’d say this is actually leverage and diversification more than Premflix contingency planning. Maybe they’re even thinking about what a Super League could do to the competitiveness of the Premier League.

My main concern when seeing this news in the impact in terms of moving kick off times, with longer term worries on the increased Championship share. But, without wanting to be too ScotchEgg about this, part of me also thinks that Sky are very, very, very good at drumming up interest in pretty much whatever they want. They now have £935m reasons to build the EFL brand.

Back
Top Bottom