International News Donald Trump 🍊🇺🇸

In some cases definitely, but I think contributing towards people's financial future if they have 'X' amount of children is always going to push people one way if they're on the fence.
You’d be hard pressed to get that on a manifesto. When I was a kid I always used to hear about “council mums” who were declared to be popping out five kids with five different fellas, just to get the benefits. People won’t go for it.

Ideally you want to create a better society with better prospects, so that people want to have children for the right reasons. Namely because they believe there’s a world worth bringing something they’re meant to love into.

I might be a little old fashioned but I would hope that families are grown out of love and want rather than some financial bonus!
It's not about a 'financial bonus', it's about feeling confident you will be able to support your children due to help from your government.

I know people in their early 20's who have been together for years who would love to start a family - the only reason they haven't is finances.

It's not about a 'financial bonus', it's about feeling confident you will be able to support your children due to help from your government.

I know people in their early 20's who have been together for years who would love to start a family - the only reason they haven't is finances.
What help are you looking for if you don't think it has to be benefits? Things haven't really changed, starting a family has always been a massive financial burden. It is still looking like Labour will be a better fit for you than Tory, much more chance that you'll see the kind of investment that will make a difference.

You’d be hard pressed to get that on a manifesto. When I was a kid I always used to hear about “council mums” who were declared to be popping out five kids with five different fellas, just to get the benefits. People won’t go for it.

Ideally you want to create a better society with better prospects, so that people want to have children for the right reasons. Namely because they believe there’s a world worth bringing something they’re meant to love into.
I think we're too far gone for that to ever be a possibility. Think of all the things that need to be reversed and changed, both in terms of politics and society. It's definitely a nice idea but I don't think it's realistic.

There's definitely a fine balance between allowing people to do nothing but have 20 kids and take thousands from the state, and offering people fair and workable incentives to contribute to a much needed increase in birth rate.

The long term solutions are increasing the native birth rate VS importing hundreds of thousands of immigrants a year for decades to replace the elderly. What would the public prefer?

What help are you looking for if you don't think it has to be benefits? Things haven't really changed, starting a family has always been a massive financial burden. It is still looking like Labour will be a better fit for you than Tory, much more chance that you'll see the kind of investment that will make a difference.
A system that allows and encourages parents to continue to work whilst offering incentives would be the best. Countries like Hungary offer tax breaks if you have over a certain amount of children and remain in employment, as well as interest free loans for young married couples which gets written off entirely if they have more than 3 children.

I'm not sure any party really represents that. Both I think see immigration as the answer to all problems like ageing population, skill shortage etc.

As others in this thread have rightly said, we should be training and enabling our own to be the people who carry this country forward.

I think we're too far gone for that to ever be a possibility. Think of all the things that need to be reversed and changed, both in terms of politics and society. It's definitely a nice idea but I don't think it's realistic.
If that were truly the case then I would argue there would be no point in trying to bribe anybody into carrying it on, and there’s also nothing to protect from any perceived outsiders.

It should be more nuanced and targeted than just increasing benefits.

I believe the birth rate to maintain a population needs to be 2.1, so anyone having 3+ children would be contributing to increasing the population. Having incentives/financial benefits to reaching such a number should encourage more to do so.

Obviously there's sometimes more to it than just the finances. Some of my female friends don't like the idea of having children because they don't think it's fair to bring them into a world so backwards, particularly with all the troubles young people face now.

It goes without saying though that giving people the financial means to actually have children will encourage far more to do so, and have more of them.

What of the opinion that mounting population is the single biggest threat to human existence?

A system that allows and encourages parents to continue to work whilst offering incentives would be the best. Countries like Hungary offer tax breaks if you have over a certain amount of children and remain in employment, as well as interest free loans for young married couples which gets written off entirely if they have more than 3 children.

Awesome!

I'll be sure to share with my Hungarian colleague how modern-day Hungary would be a good model for the UK!

If that were truly the case then I would argue there would be no point in trying to bribe anybody into carrying it on, and there’s also nothing to protect from any perceived outsiders.
Things can obviously get better but I think many of the big problems of today are here to stay. Social media has f****d the youngest generation. I have family members of that age and wow... their world views are something else! I can't see how that can be reversed though when it's on such a wide scale.

What of the opinion that mounting population is the single biggest threat to human existence?
The world's population is largely only increasing due to birth rates of people from outside of Europe/the west. I don't think there's a single country in Europe/Northern America where the native birth rate is above 2.

Awesome!

I'll be sure to share with my Hungarian colleague how modern-day Hungary would be a good model for the UK!
I mean, we're just talking about birth rates/incentives to have children, not the country as a whole.

Things can obviously get better but I think many of the big problems of today are here to stay. Social media has f****d the youngest generation. I have family members of that age and wow... their world views are something else! I can't see how that can be reversed though when it's on such a wide scale.

With respect, your world views are something else in my opinion. It's a generational thing although I accept that social media ramps up some of the content.

The world's population is largely only increasing due to birth rates of people from outside of Europe/the west. I don't think there's a single country in Europe/Northern America where the native birth rate is above 2.

So?

With respect, your world views are something else in my opinion. It's a generational thing although I accept that social media ramps up some of the content.
Trouble is, older people still have much of the voting power as they sit in their fully paid for house they bought for half of what it's worth now. That's partly why younger people's opinions seem so outrageous - we're experiencing things the older generations never have. It's also why many of us find the views of our elders fascinatingly out of touch.

Social media is causing havoc amongst teenagers and unfortunately kids much younger. If you've ever heard the phrase 'Sephora girls' you know exactly what I mean.

So the point is if you're saying worldwide population growth is a problem, then it isn't anything to do with us - within a few years our native population is likely to reduce at the current rate. Us having more kids will have little difference on global population levels.

So the point is if you're saying worldwide population growth is a problem, then it isn't anything to do with us - within a few years our native population is likely to reduce at the current rate. Us having more kids will have little difference on global population levels.

This is remarkable gibberish and I thank you for brightening up my day. Sincerely.

Trouble is, older people still have much of the voting power as they sit in their fully paid for house they bought for half of what it's worth now. That's partly why younger people's opinions seem so outrageous - we're experiencing things the older generations never have. It's also why many of us find the views of our elders fascinatingly out of touch.

Social media is causing havoc amongst teenagers and unfortunately kids much younger. If you've ever heard the phrase 'Sephora girls' you know exactly what I mean.

Older people don't have any more voting power than anyone else, everyone gets one vote. However, younger people are less likely to use their vote to make a difference.

If you want social equality and a future which caters for all, then vote accordingly. But if you're getting upset about people in boats and Rwanda then you're hugely missing the point.

Back
Top Bottom