Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

Have to say, I thought pointing would be a skill Josh McEachran would be a bit better at :unsure:

Kind of hoping Des is incorporating half an hour of pointing into each training session from now on.
He was hoping to, but he hasn't worked out a way of indicating to the squad where they need to gather for the training as of yet.

Okay, guys, help me out here.

I'm relatively new to the forum. Reading most threads there is a feeling that the club is at a critical point (which it is - not least with stadium) but also a lot of worry and negatively (with Des, some of the players and particularly the board and possibly owners).

My question is - is this forum generally quite negative and therefore I shouldn't worry or is it "cry into my pint" time? I thought initially it might be the former but a lot of posters I respect seem to be ringing the alarm bells.

I see a lot to be positive about - some great players (Leigh, Brannagan, Moore, Harris and Brown) and a decent keeper purchase and striker plus I think the last 45 minutes I saw from Burey was strong. We have players coming back from injury. That said, there has been a degree of confusion in the way we play which makes me worry about/for Des (and the lack of investment in his staff) and some players have come off the boil - Rodriguez and McGuane and, of course, we have shown a drop off on form / league position. On balance I think we probably need the rest of the season and next summer to consolidate.

So my question - is the forum overly negative or should i be crying in my pint?

This forum, and social media in general, are where you get the extreme views. When things are going badly it will often seem to be a very negative place, when things are going well then the pendulum goes the other way.

The vast majority of fans probably sit somewhere in the middle. Even during the dying days of the Karl Robindon era, there were vast numbers at games who had nothing to do with the booing or chants, although this changed with every passing game. It was a very different picture on here, twitter and Facebook (with here being the most tame of the three!).

With most things in life, you will get an indicator of how others feel by looking on here and elsewhere, but it's also important to see things with your own eyes and your own expectations. Some will see 7th as shite for a team that was recently 2nd. Others will see that as a huge improvement for a club that was recently 21st.

Despite what some would say (me included), neither view is completely right or wrong. We all have our own opinions and that is what generally makes this a good place to celebrate, rant or just chat about our great football club!

Yeah I'll give it a go. I may be in my early 50s but at least I can still run about. I can point as well, which is always a good skill to have.
A bit of pointing and then a two footed lunge at Callum Lang and I'd say you're golden

This forum, and social media in general, are where you get the extreme views. When things are going badly it will often seem to be a very negative place, when things are going well then the pendulum goes the other way.

The vast majority of fans probably sit somewhere in the middle. Even during the dying days of the Karl Robindon era, there were vast numbers at games who had nothing to do with the booing or chants, although this changed with every passing game. It was a very different picture on here, twitter and Facebook (with here being the most tame of the three!).

With most things in life, you will get an indicator of how others feel by looking on here and elsewhere, but it's also important to see things with your own eyes and your own expectations. Some will see 7th as shite for a team that was recently 2nd. Others will see that as a huge improvement for a club that was recently 21st.

Despite what some would say (me included), neither view is completely right or wrong. We all have our own opinions and that is what generally makes this a good place to celebrate, rant or just chat about our great football club!
Any statistician will look at the long-term, medium, and short-term trends. Compared to last season (medium-term), we are doing well, but compared to pre-Buckingham, we are not, and I feel we have a great deal of negativity consequently amongst fans. When you peel back the 'graphs' to the data behind it, the common denominator appears managerial. I'm sure other factors play a part, but getting rid of KR and bringing in Manning changed the curve. Likewise, Manning going and Buckingham coming in reversed the positive trend to a negative one. It is still early regarding the latter, but based on the evidence, with a lack of structure, game plan, and set-up, it's hard to feel a more positive change is around the corner unless he pulls a rabbit out of the hat. That is not to say it won't happen, it is just not looking likely as currently Des looks well out of his depth emotionally and tactically (feeling the pressure being an understatement). To know whether his struggles reflect a lack of support across the club (what Chairman and CEO(!)), his coaching team, not having the right players, a combination of these, and or plainly he isn't good enough, is up to debate, but certainly I am starting to cross towards the latter (not helped by the aforementioned). If so, the rest of the season may make uncomfortable watching (I hope I am wrong).

Last edited:
Any statistician will look at the long-term, medium, and short-term trends. Compared to last season (medium-term), we are doing well, but compared to pre-Buckigham, we are not, and I feel we have a great deal of negativity consequently amongst fans. When you peel back the 'graphs' to the data behind it, the common denominator appears managerial. I'm sure other factors play a part, but getting rid of KR and bringing in Manning changed the curve. Likewise, Manning going and Buckingham coming in reversed the positive trend to a negative one. It is still early regarding the latter, but based on the evidence, with a lack of structure, game plan, and set-up, it's hard to feel a more positive change is around the corner unless he pulls a rabbit out of the hat. That is not to say it won't happen, it is just not looking likely as currently Des looks well out of his depth emotionally and tactically at the moment (feeling the pressure being an understatement). To know whether his struggles reflect a lack of support across the club (what Chairman and CEO(!)), his coaching team, not having the right players, a combination of these, and or plainly he isn't good enough, is up to debate, but certainly I am starting to cross towards the latter (not helped by the aforementioned). If so, the rest of the season may make uncomfortable watching (I hope I am wrong).
I've seen this mentioned a few times. To me he looks calm and composed

I've seen this mentioned a few times. To me he looks calm and composed
Hmmm....I do wonder what "out of his depth emotionally" actually looks like....

maybe this is more "out of your depth, emotionally"

Although some might actually prefer this approach🤯

Hmmm....I do wonder what "out of his depth emotionally" actually looks like....

maybe this is more "out of your depth, emotionally"

Although some might actually prefer this approach🤯

Ah, Troy Deeney's inspiration. Need to show PASSHUN on the touchline like threatening to punch the 4th Official in the head to show the manager is emotionally up to it.

Okay, guys, help me out here.

I'm relatively new to the forum. Reading most threads there is a feeling that the club is at a critical point (which it is - not least with stadium) but also a lot of worry and negatively (with Des, some of the players and particularly the board and possibly owners).

My question is - is this forum generally quite negative and therefore I shouldn't worry or is it "cry into my pint" time? I thought initially it might be the former but a lot of posters I respect seem to be ringing the alarm bells.

I see a lot to be positive about - some great players (Leigh, Brannagan, Moore, Harris and Brown) and a decent keeper purchase and striker plus I think the last 45 minutes I saw from Burey was strong. We have players coming back from injury. That said, there has been a degree of confusion in the way we play which makes me worry about/for Des (and the lack of investment in his staff) and some players have come off the boil - Rodriguez and McGuane and, of course, we have shown a drop off on form / league position. On balance I think we probably need the rest of the season and next summer to consolidate.

So my question - is the forum overly negative or should i be crying in my pint?
From a high level perspective I think the forum is slightly over negative. At times it can seem to be dominated by some extremely over negative posters, who are not matched in numbers by the over positive posters. However the ‘mute’ button can be useful!!

For example I find it hard to accept a lot of criticism that Buckingham is getting. Undoubtedly he’s made mistakes (recent team selections imho) but which manager gets it right from day1? From our league position it looks like he joined at a great time but the reality was different. Manning jumped ship from an over performing team. A dip was likely to happen, and it became more likely as the injuries mounted up. I’m not sure if we’ve had more injuries than other clubs, but cos of our unbalanced squad (thanks Karl) the injuries have hit us harder than most.

Unless Des goes bonkers I’d like to see where we are at in December 24 / Jan 25. Let him have a full pre-season, give him a chance to replace the big salary continuously injured / ageing players and then start judging him.

I still think we will make the playoffs. From the position we were in approx 2 months ago, I think we’ll have underperformed if we don’t make and perform well in the play offs. But I don’t think I’ll be jumping up and down calling for Buckingham’s head if we do slip out, he needs to be given a proper chance.

So with Buckingham I think some of the criticism is over the top, but I think if anything TW and GF are getting off lightly. I really think they are putting on a poor show at the moment.

Last edited:
From a high level perspective I think the forum is slightly over negative. At times it can seem to be dominated by some extremely over negative posters, who are not matched in numbers by the over positive posters. However the ‘mute’ button can be useful!!

For example I find it hard to accept a lot of criticism that Buckingham is getting. Undoubtedly he’s made mistakes (recent team selections imho) but which manager gets it right from day1? From our league position it looks like he joined at a great time but the reality was different. Manning jumped ship from an over performing team. A dip was likely to happen, and it became more likely as the injuries mounted up. I’m not sure if we’ve had more injuries than other clubs, but cos of our unbalanced squad (thanks Karl) the injuries have hit us harder than most.

Unless Des goes bonkers I’d like to see where we are at in December 24 / Jan 25. Let him have a full season, give him a chance to replace the big salary continuously injured / ageing players and then start judging him.

I still think we will make the playoffs. From the position we were in approx 2 months ago, I think we’ll have underperformed if we don’t make and perform well in the play offs. But I don’t think I’ll be jumping up and down calling for Buckingham’s head if we do slip out, he needs to be given a proper chance.

So with Buckingham I think some of the criticism is over the top, but I think if anything TW and GF are getting off lightly. I really think they are putting on a poor show at the moment.
This is a really good summary and where I am. Was listening to the Dub and they (is it George) were making this very point. Also that Des hasn’t been give the support of a proper team around him. This to me is the crux of it. How can this guy come from India and be expected to hit the ground running without a team around him of his own choosing. I’m still very pro Des, think he comes across clear and considered but I think he needs more backing. #prayforDes

Bit weird that he only got a guaranteed 2.5 years given he’s such an expensive marquee signing, though? A centre forward in his early twenties, costing almost half a million quid, and his guarantee isn’t even three years. What’s that about? Sam Long got 3.5 years a year ago, and Moore and Brown both got three years in recent months. I believe Harris and Rodrigues also signed for three. There are options to extend on a few deals, obviously, including Goodwin’s, but that’s not an obligation on the club. Seemingly the key seems to be not the length of a contracts dished out per se, but the end date. All of which seem to centre around June 2026.

Do we have any players with guaranteed contracts beyond that date? ie excluding options? A pertinent question, particularly given the club has stopped making contract lengths public at their end, almost out of nowhere.

I‘m not expecting any more permanent signings in this window, just a couple of loans.

Assuming the non playing high wage earners such as Murphy, Brown, Henry and Bodin will be leaving for pastures new in the summer, it will be very interesting to see (if we’re told) the length of contract for new signings before the beginning of next season.

If only we could have a fans forum where these concerns and questions can be raised.

Back
Top Bottom