Manager/Coach Des Buckingham

But you are missing the fundamental difference in ability to generate revenue from other streams that we are sorely lacking where we are. The club is far less sustainable in it's current state and the owners know this.
Trouble is, I can't see the stadium being much of a success (in terms of attendances) if we're still in L1. You'll get the usual sell-outs/close to sell-outs in the first couple of games there, but if we're still in L1 that would soon drop off I think.

Success on the pitch and success in the new stadium go hand in hand.
I do worry about what’s on the horizon if the stadium doesn’t become a reality and they pull out. We could be playing Oxford City before we know it. It’ll make our current problems look like a luxury.

But you are missing the fundamental difference in ability to generate revenue from other streams that we are sorely lacking where we are. The club is far less sustainable in it's current state and the owners know this.
We may have the ability, but whether we actually do or not is a different story.

Any loan repayments we have to make, maintenance etc could offset any additional revenue from the stadium. Main thing is getting fans in, which I'm not sure would happen in much greater numbers than we get now if we remain in L1.

Trouble is, I can't see the stadium being much of a success (in terms of attendances) if we're still in L1. You'll get the usual sell-outs/close to sell-outs in the first couple of games there, but if we're still in L1 that would soon drop off I think.

Success on the pitch and success in the new stadium go hand in hand.
It will change things hugely.
Are you seriously suggesting that a brand new state if the art stadium will have little effect in attendances as compared to the Kassam?
If we are near the top of L1, attendances would be far higher than they are now.

I do worry about what’s on the horizon if the stadium doesn’t become a reality and they pull out. We could be playing Oxford City before we know it. It’ll make our current problems look like a luxury.
It has been clear for a while what will happen if the ground doesn't happen. The club have made this totally clear.
The club would cease to exist in its current form.
I would guess that the club would have to reform at a far lower level than Oxford City ( and would need to find a ground to play on to do this)

The gargantuan elephant in the room with all of this is the planning application (and it's success) for the new stadium. The whole gamble by our owners and backers is hinging on the success of this and so I would imagine is the ongoing long term commitment to the club generally. There is no plan B if this is unsuccessful and I dare say they will not be prepared to continue funding the losses on the playing side with no prospect of recoup for a longer term sustainable future for the club. They may well be looking to cut their losses and run if the new ground never gets off paper.

With this in mind, their apparent trepidacious approach to this window (with the significant exception of the Goodwin signing).

There are bigger games at play here for those providing the funds I would think.
Maybe any signings we make will have to be loans or young players with potential sell on investments, if the stadium situation is governing our transfer dealings.

It has been clear for a while what will happen if the ground doesn't happen. The club have made this totally clear.
I would guess that the club would have to reform at a far lower level than Oxford City ( and would need to find a ground to play on to do this)
Bloody hell worse than I thought!!

It will change things hugely.
Are you seriously suggesting that a brand new state if the art stadium will have little effect in attendances as compared to the Kassam?
If we are near the top of L1, attendances would be far higher than they are now.
I'm not so sure they would.

The year Doncaster moved into their stadium they saw hugely inflated attendances at the start, but they soon dropped off. They then got promoted the season following and average attendance jumped by around 4,000. Attendances then stayed around 10k for the period they were in the Championship then dropped massively when they were relegated back to L1, and they have never recovered since.

Attendances are more based on the quality of football you're watching than the quality of the stadium you're watching it in.

Okay, guys, help me out here.

I'm relatively new to the forum. Reading most threads there is a feeling that the club is at a critical point (which it is - not least with stadium) but also a lot of worry and negatively (with Des, some of the players and particularly the board and possibly owners).

My question is - is this forum generally quite negative and therefore I shouldn't worry or is it "cry into my pint" time? I thought initially it might be the former but a lot of posters I respect seem to be ringing the alarm bells.

I see a lot to be positive about - some great players (Leigh, Brannagan, Moore, Harris and Brown) and a decent keeper purchase and striker plus I think the last 45 minutes I saw from Burey was strong. We have players coming back from injury. That said, there has been a degree of confusion in the way we play which makes me worry about/for Des (and the lack of investment in his staff) and some players have come off the boil - Rodriguez and McGuane and, of course, we have shown a drop off on form / league position. On balance I think we probably need the rest of the season and next summer to consolidate.

So my question - is the forum overly negative or should i be crying in my pint?

It's a curates egg of a problem. Football is mad in that if we are in the championship (or pushing for it) and getting decent crowds, there would be a buyer regardless of the stadium situation. There's always someone who thinks they can fix it.

If we got to the Championship, there would be a queue the length of Magdalen Bridge to take it on. Whether they are the "right" owners is another question, but if the current incumbents have cut and run, were they the right owners anyway?

And the owners would get a large chunk back.

A middle of the road League 1 club, not so much.

Depends whether being rose-tintedly optimistic makes you feel better, or sitting-on-a-pin pessimism.
Find what gives you joy and follow that path. It won’t make any difference to the team and results.
(Full disclosure: I was pro-Talbot and pro-Patto).

Whilst I agree we would be in a total mess and reforming would be a possibility, we didn't actually go bust when we fell out the league (and still had to pay rent) or before Kassam came in when the ground was rusting away for years. If the planning falls through and we decide to ground share rather than sign up to another rental agreement then it would force the council's hand. I expect if they were faced with that level of anger (and with council budgets being tight) they would sell Kassam some more development land at a bargain price in exchange for the keys to the stadium. Our owners would jump ship at that point as there'd be no money to be made and we'd still be in a dilapidated stadium in a shite location, probably playing at least a league below where we are now, so I'm not saying this would be preferable to starting again!

I wonder where we'd be now if we hadn't been "rescued" in 1999 and had reformed at that point. I expect we'd have had a more enjoyable time as a fan base and would currently have less debts.

I'm relatively new to the forum. Reading most threads there is a feeling that the club is at a critical point (which it is - not least with stadium) but also a lot of worry and negatively (with Des, some of the players and particularly the board and possibly owners).

My question is - is this forum generally quite negative and therefore I shouldn't worry or is it "cry into my pint" time? I thought initially it might be the former but a lot of posters I respect seem to be ringing the alarm bells.

I see a lot to be positive about - some great players (Leigh, Brannagan, Moore, Harris and Brown) and a decent keeper purchase and striker plus I think the last 45 minutes I saw from Burey was strong. We have players coming back from injury. That said, there has been a degree of confusion in the way we play which makes me worry about/for Des (and the lack of investment in his staff) and some players have come off the boil - Rodriguez and McGuane and, of course, we have shown a drop off on form / league position. On balance I think we probably need the rest of the season and next summer to consolidate.

I worry more about the long term future and that’s where our energy and anxiety should lie rather than the ‘crisis’ that we are in on the field imo. I can only speak for myself to say I feel we are lucky to be where we are even with the current loss of form.

I worry more about the long term future and that’s where our energy and anxiety should lie rather than the ‘crisis’ that we are in on the field imo. I can only speak for myself to say I feel we are lucky to be where we are even with the current loss of form. Maybe the owners are happy we’ve avoided relegation for another year and all their energy is directed at the stadium effort.

I wouldn't say people on here are inherently negative. Most Oxford fans I talk to in person are far more critical than most on here.

Issue is, there either is no plan (which is what it looks like) which is obviously worrying. Or there is a plan and it just evidently isn't working, which is equally as worrying.

By no means should Des be sacked, but I think a lot of people are making excuses for him.

I wouldn't say people on here are inherently negative. Most Oxford fans I talk to in person are far more critical than most on here.

Issue is, there either is no plan (which is what it looks like) which is obviously worrying. Or there is a plan and it just evidently isn't working, which is equally as worrying.

By no means should Des be sacked, but I think a lot of people are making excuses for him.
You’re right, and it’s impossible to know all the details. The communication is definitely poor at the moment that’s where I will level some criticism. Regarding DB, he may turn out to be clueless but there needs to be a reasonable time period to know either way.

You’re right, and it’s impossible to know all the details. The communication is definitely poor at the moment that’s where I will level some criticism. Regarding DB, he may turn out to be clueless but there needs to be a reasonable time period to know either way.
I can't remember the last time I watched a team that looks so clueless and disjointed. Unfortunately, that lies at the feet of Des.

I can't remember the last time I watched a team that looks so clueless and disjointed. Unfortunately, that lies at the feet of Des.
Not even at the end under KR? DB has won some games, Robbo went weeks without a win. It’s definitely not great right now but that period was horrendous!

Last edited:
Whilst I agree we would be in a total mess and reforming would be a possibility, we didn't actually go bust when we fell out the league (and still had to pay rent) or before Kassam came in when the ground was rusting away for years. If the planning falls through and we decide to ground share rather than sign up to another rental agreement then it would force the council's hand. I expect if they were faced with that level of anger (and with council budgets being tight) they would sell Kassam some more development land at a bargain price in exchange for the keys to the stadium. Our owners would jump ship at that point as there'd be no money to be made and we'd still be in a dilapidated stadium in a shite location, probably playing at least a league below where we are now, so I'm not saying this would be preferable to starting again!

I wonder where we'd be now if we hadn't been "rescued" in 1999 and had reformed at that point. I expect we'd have had a more enjoyable time as a fan base and would currently have less debts.
Things are totally different now and McWilliams has said that there is no future without the new ground.
We have massive debts and the losses every year are eyewatering.
A groundshare would mean significant fewer supporters.

I can't see any option but administration and the club going out of business if the ground falls through ( unless tjete is something else going on behind the scenes)

No even at the end under KR? DB has won some games, Robbo went weeks without a win. It’s definitely not great right now but that period was horrendous!
Under KR I always felt like while it may not be coming off, I could see what the plan was and what they were trying to do. I don't see that at the minute.

Back
Top Bottom