General Cup Competitions - Prize Money - Priorities

Yellow River

We are currently fighting on all 4 fronts, League 1 , FA Cup, League (Carabao) Cup & Leasing Trophy.

Hell of an achievement for a club of our the size at the beginning of December.

I think most fans, players, management & staff would say that the League is the priority, but what about the other competitions, where do we concentrate our energies with a League 1 size squad?

The prize money on offer makes interesting reading.

Leasing Trophy.

Participation 20k
Group wins 10k
Group draw 5k
Rd 2 winner 20k
Rd 3 winner 40k
QF winner 50k
RU 50k
Winner 100k

League (Carabao) Cup.

No prize money until semi finals.
SF loser 25k
RU 50k
Winner 100k

FA Cup.

Round 1 winner 36k
Round 2 winner 54k
Round 3 winner 135k
Round 4 winner 180k
Round 5 winner 360k
QF winner 720k
SF winner 1,800k
SF loser 900k
RU 1,800k
Winner 3,600k

I hadn’t realised how poor the prize money is for the Carabao Cup compared to the other two competitions.

Of the other thing to take into consideration is TV money should we be chosen, that of course is an unknown and luck of the draw.

It’s also possible to draw a big Premier League club in the Carabao Cup & FA Cup (from round 3 onwards) clearly that’s not possible in the Leasing Trophy. As much as I dislike the introduction of U21 teams in the LT, the prize money is not to be sniffed at.

Is it just about the prize money though? FA Cup is the best cup competition in the world, while the League Cup in my eyes is still a prestigious competition, and we are previous winners after all!

Last edited:
I asked elsewhere what the league cup prize money was and got told different figures.
rd and prize money for the winners:-
1 5k
2 7 k
3 10k
4 15k
qtrs 20k
semi 25k
runner up 50k
winner 100K

I haven't found an official link confirming it though.

Also I don't think tv money is luck of the draw. The tv companies pick plucky underdog at home to team higher up in the leagues. two big premiership teams playing. or Manchester United.

I asked elsewhere what the league cup prize money was and got told different figures.
rd and prize money for the winners:-
1 5k
2 7 k
3 10k
4 15k
qtrs 20k
semi 25k
runner up 50k
winner 100K

I haven't found an official link confirming it though.

Also I don't think tv money is luck of the draw. The tv companies pick plucky underdog at home to team higher up in the leagues. two big premiership teams playing. or Manchester United.

The Carabao Cup prize money I got from this link, https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1181979/Carabao-Cup-prize-money-breakdown-how-much-worth as it’s in the Express it must be true. ;) Happy to be proven wrong as the figures do seem to be very low.

As for the luck of the draw, if we draw Rochdale at home it’s unlikely to be picked for TV, whereas if we draw Man U it’s highly likely to be picked. That’s what I mean by ‘luck of the draw’

Win them all............. ? ? with the squad we have.............. only mentality to have.

Winning is an easy habit to continue rather than "turning around" a dog of a season.

With the tv money, we were the top draw and Hayes and Yeading were the plucky underdogs so it's all relative.

As for prize money, we haven't yet had a penny from the league cup run, but with 2 sell outs against Sunderland and Man City, and over 10k against West Ham, we have not only earnt a decent amount in gate receipts but have also attracted many more people to our club.

As @Essexyellows says, we need to look to win them all. Exeter on a (probably) wet Wednesday night in the leading.com trophy will not be the sexiest fixture in December, but winning keeps us involved in to next year and will leave us one step closer to Wembley. And this group of players deserve as much success as they can get.

just keep winning games, regardless of the competition
I agree. Dont risk Eastwood if he has a knock (it will be good for Stevens to have another game), but play a team giving Moore, Long, game time but trying to win on Wednesday.
In the FA Cup and of course v Man City we have gone too far now to not try and win.
We have a good squad and with Brannagan, Hanson, Woodburn, Baptiste coming back there is no reason why we can go for it whilst giving all of the players in the squad game time.

Yeah, I think there's plenty of evidence now that the boost from continuing to win games is much more of a plus than fatigue from fixture congestion is a minus.

We've got good options in our squad, so we should definitely rotate - particularly for the Tinpot Trophy.

But no white flags - no making ten changes and playing the youth team in any game. Play a strong team every game, and try and win 'em all!

Yeah, I think there's plenty of evidence now that the boost from continuing to win games is much more of a plus than fatigue from fixture congestion is a minus.

We've got good options in our squad, so we should definitely rotate - particularly for the Tinpot Trophy.

But no white flags - no making ten changes and playing the youth team in any game. Play a strong team every game, and try and win 'em all!
I guess that re the ten changes, if you are going to do that needs to be at the start of the Competitions
Now the EFL Cup, one game from history ( and big pay days), FA Cup £135k for the next game plus potentially a big money 4th round and even the FL Trophy, whatever games from Wembley and decent payday.
I guess that Bury dropping out has meant a couple more free dates, and when the players are fit we do seem to have a decent squad

Back
Top Bottom