International News Covid-19 .....

Its the jounalists to blame for the whole sorry situation, they just love to catastrophise any situation especially now when there doesnt appear to be any other significant news. I guarantee if 9-11 had happened a couple of weeks ago we would never have heard another peep about covid 19 it would just have appeared in the autumn as somewhat higher death rate than last year

Really?

Journalists have the power to instigate a global economic crisis and the lockdown of millions of people?

And what do you suppose their motivation for doing so is?

for the first time since the 'arrival' of panic buying, the local (to me) small co op branch has a number of visible empty spaces on its shelves - toilet roll, hand washing products, eggs, rice, pasta and canned soup , baked beans, paracetamol (along with other similar painkillers) and ..... bottles of pinot grigio white wine!... are all items out of stock... with bread, pizza & various ready meals in very short supply ..... there is a delivery expected at some point today/ this evening, I'm informed

guess even though the local small co-op have been limiting certain items to two per person, extended families of serial panic buyers have gone round local, smaller grocery type shops in their people carrier transporters, and cleaned 'em out by every family member each buying 2 of the 'rationed' items? ?

Tescos, good, occasionally busy later.

Sainsburys, moderate to good, sale on Corn Flakes.

Asda, slight to moderate, heavy crowds by evening.
Marks and Spencers and Co-Op, fair.
Waitrose fair to moderate, spillage in aisle 7.
Lidl, rough at first, moderate later.
And that's the end of the Shopping Forecast.

Tescos, good, occasionally busy later.

Sainsburys, moderate to good, sale on Corn Flakes.

Asda, slight to moderate, heavy crowds by evening.
Marks and Spencers and Co-Op, fair.
Waitrose fair to moderate, spillage in aisle 7.
Lidl, rough at first, moderate later.
And that's the end of the Shopping Forecast.
I think that should be in the Jokes thread ?

for the first time since the 'arrival' of panic buying, the local (to me) small co op branch has a number of visible empty spaces on its shelves - toilet roll, hand washing products, eggs, rice, pasta and canned soup , baked beans, paracetamol (along with other similar painkillers) and ..... bottles of pinot grigio white wine!... are all items out of stock... with bread, pizza & various ready meals in very short supply ..... there is a delivery expected at some point today/ this evening, I'm informed

guess even though the local small co-op have been limiting certain items to two per person, extended families of serial panic buyers have gone round local, smaller grocery type shops in their people carrier transporters, and cleaned 'em out by every family member each buying 2 of the 'rationed' items? ?
The kids are off school after tomorrow which is speeding it all up even more. People are going into hyperdrive.

Wait until they lock London down in the coming days. They’ve already moved old Queenie out to Windsor today, but for no real reason in particular, you understand. As soon as that’s formalised the rest of the country will brick it and buy every Pot Noodle in the land.

Savages.

They've been egging the Govt on to shutdown and now they are saying what will low wage parents do with their? Give me strength :rolleyes:

Seems reasonable to me to get the Govt to look at the impact on those hit the hardest financially.

Seems reasonable to me to get the Govt to look at the impact on those hit the hardest financially.
Listen mate, if you think the government should ever be remotely responsible for looking after people during a crisis, you’re a proper loon. It isn’t like that’s the deal when people take their cushy jobs in Westminster - that in the event of crisis or catastrophe they take on the responsibility of sorting it out and protecting people.

You do what any sane and rational person would do and you blame the media.

For me, the depressing/worrying thing is what is still going on in Italy.

Remember if you look at the numbers (and I am a total stats geek, so I always look at the numbers), what is going on in Britain (and the US) is almost exactly two weeks behind what is going on in Italy, with infections/deaths increasing at the same rate here now, as they did in Italy then.

Italy started quarantine/lockdown protocols back on February 22nd.....but the rate of infection/deaths from COVID are still growing exponentially. Today was the largest single-day growth in infections there, and the last two days have been the two most deadly days there since the outbreak began.

Meaning that Italy is still not yet at the peak of their outbreak.

Yes, the response in Italy was fairly haphazard.....they didn't shut everything down all at once, they did it very much piecemeal. But does anyone want to suggest that it has been any less haphazard in the US/UK?

So I don't see any reason to assume that we won't see the epidemic take the same pattern here as in Italy. It seems to be doing that everywhere unless you go into full and complete lockdown (like Wuhan did), or take drastic measures extremely early (like Singapore & Hong Kong did - and to an extent Japan. COVID is still growing there - but the growth has been pretty linear, not exponential).

Can't see any way that this isn't going to continue to get substantially worse here for at least the next two-three weeks

An assessment I broadly agree with but I can't help thinking that the kissing on both cheeks greeting hasn't helped in Italy, Spain and France

An assessment I broadly agree with but I can't help thinking that the kissing on both cheeks greeting hasn't helped in Italy, Spain and France
I said to someone a couple of weeks ago that “all that smooching” wouldn’t help the likes of Italy, Spain and France with the spread of this. I’d had a couple of pints and was being particularly facetious, but you’ve convinced me that I’ve cracked it.

To be fair our stand offish attitude should come in pretty handy here, when they said stay 6 foot from people I did wonder who in day to day life chooses to get that close.

To be fair our stand offish attitude should come in pretty handy here, when they said stay 6 foot from people I did wonder who in day to day life chooses to get that close.
Indeed. My reaction was very much “Why are they asking me to get even closer to people?”

Hey, I'm a programmer, I don't think I could isolate socially any more unless I moved in with the penguins in Antarctica... I've been training for this all my life ? ? ?

I said to someone a couple of weeks ago that “all that smooching” wouldn’t help the likes of Italy, Spain and France with the spread of this. I’d had a couple of pints and was being particularly facetious, but you’ve convinced me that I’ve cracked it.

All this ‘bump elbows’ greeting needs to go as well.

How about a return to bowing and curtsying? Those Elizabethans in plague time knew the score.

Back
Top Bottom