International News Covid-19 .....

May I ask a question of you Scotchers? I'm aware from previous posts on here that you work in the prison service and are having to cope with quite a lot at the moment with exposure to both Covid-19 and violent prisoners, but what exactly is your role in the service, and as a front line operative are you being provided with adequate PPE?

My role is the equivalent of Sergeant/Inspector in the police in that I have a senior role but still operational and proud to still be in uniform. Under normal circumstances I can be responsible for writing and delivery policies, dealing with complaints and 1000 emails, and managing staff and regimes.

However, we are not in normal times and I have therefore taken what I see as more of a leaders role rather than that of a manager, and am fairly frontline and hands on. PPE is available, and we are supported when dealing with confirmed cases. This includes access to masks, visors, gloves and aprons. As far as I'm aware this is mirrored throughout the service, but as with health care trusts, the need will be greater in London and some of the larger local prisons.

There are two problems though. Firstly the risk is invisible and many prisoners are not disclosing symptoms due to a combination of fear, ignorance and a distorted belief that they will treated differently (by prisoners and staff). Therefore, its highly likely that the vast majority of those infected are seen as being 'normal' and are therefore managed without ppe. The second problem is that we still deal with violent, non-complaint individuals who have no respect for social distancing or the wellbeing of others. As staff we have to maintain control and order and that means that we have to intervene and put "hands on". That is when all of the guidelines go out of the window, and we can only hope that we do not catch anything (as well as the usual cuts and bruises and broken bones that almost gets taken for granted!).

I have to admit that I sometimes get annoyed that we are a forgotten service and excluded from all of the usual things like priority shopping at the supermarket etc, and no one gets to see what we do or put up with. But that's the nature of the job and little has changed in the 25 years I've been doing it!!! But there is no denying that the risk posed directly through the virus, and indirectly through risk of wide scale disorder is as bad as it's been since the riots in 1990 and I'll be amazed if I come through this unscathed.

Last edited:
But the truth is that too many people in real positions of influence have been more concerned about protecting their billions and worrying about where their next billion will come from.
Who are these worried billionaires in our government with real policy making influence- are they the same ones who largely closed down our nation and came up with the unprecedented financial support programmes for individuals and businesses?

Could you maybe give examples of these people in positions of real influence, and how they have looked to protect their wealth?
Well I could start with some of those who pull the strings of much of the mass media but either you know that already or you genuinely think these people aren't greedy megalomaniacs. If you think that I will never change your view. So be it. It's not the end of the world.... yet. (half tongue in cheek)

We have different world views.

Well I could start with some of those who pull the strings of much of the mass media but either you know that already or you genuinely think these people aren't greedy megalomaniacs. If you think that I will never change your view. So be it. It's not the end of the world.... yet. (half tongue in cheek)

We have different world views.

So the media are responsible for this?!

I'll be honest, I had you down as someone who was a little left leaning and anti-establishment, but generally sensible enough.

Shame if you are just a run of the mill, conspiracy theorist, loon!!!

So the media are responsible for this?!

I'll be honest, I had you down as someone who was a little left leaning and anti-establishment, but generally sensible enough.

Shame if you are just a run of the mill, conspiracy theorist, loon!!!
That's a bit of a leap of logic you've made there.

As for the insult, is that really necessary?

That's a bit of a leap of logic you've made there.

As for the insult, is that really necessary?
I think the leap of logic is blaming this all on the influential media billionaires!!

Even Trump has gone that far yet!!!

I'll leave you be, I'm sure you've got some 5g masts to smash up!!!

We were specifically told on yesterday’s televised briefing that all numbers on the graphs, specifically those representing other countries and their totals, only included hospital deaths as standard. That appears to not be entirely true, to be kind.

The reaction to the Care Homes tragedy is precisely that; a reaction. We deserve better than that from the Government that leads this country beyond the awful situation we are all trying to deal with. After the 39-45 conflict the Labour government created the NHS. The blonde liar and crew need to demonstrate they have a vision that extends beyond the rich getting richer. I doubt that a weekly round of applause for workers disgracefully undervalued will do the job.

We were specifically told on yesterday’s televised briefing that all numbers on the graphs, specifically those representing other countries and their totals, only included hospital deaths as standard. That appears to not be entirely true, to be kind.

The systems for reporting deaths varies country to country. The level of detail and timing behind them are known only to those who operate said systems.
Our Trust....... Patient tests positive fo Covid-19 becomes a "Positive inpatient" on the 1st of the month (for ease), stays in hospital for 10 days and sadly dies on the 11th of the month. They re not reported as a Covid death until a second lab test is completed (up to 4 days) so the 15th of the month, the death then has to be authorised on our system, can be another 4 days , 19th of the month. Number is sent to DOHSC, 24-48 hours, or longer with weekends and bank holidays......... they become a Covid Death press statistic 21 days after 1st diagnosis.
Comparing that across different legislatures and systems is like herding cats!

My understanding on the above is that whilst France do include wider deaths than hospitals alone, there is a significant lag in this data to make the findings inconsistent. I'm not so sure that the difference in figures provided is to deliberately mislead or hide the severity of this, and haven't seen any examples where we have claimed to be better than anyone else.

But then anyone can use statistic to push whichever point they want, to be kind.

The reaction to the Care Homes tragedy is precisely that; a reaction. We deserve better than that from the Government that leads this country beyond the awful situation we are all trying to deal with. After the 39-45 conflict the Labour government created the NHS. The blonde liar and crew need to demonstrate they have a vision that extends beyond the rich getting richer. I doubt that a weekly round of applause for workers disgracefully undervalued will do the job.

What would you like to see being done in our care homes?

Care Homes.......... anyone with a Frailty Score of more than 5 (ergo the majority of care home residents) has survival odds of roughly 80/20 against if they get Covid, if they get hospitalised and survive on ventilated care in a ward it improves to 70/30 against. If they go into ITU and require mechanical or invasive ventilation it drops to 80/20 again.
The care pathway decision can be read here: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng159/chapter/1-Admission-to-hospital

I think the leap of logic is blaming this all on the influential media billionaires!!

Even Trump has gone that far yet!!!

I'll leave you be, I'm sure you've got some 5g masts to smash up!!!
You're clever enough to know i didn't say that and anyone else who cares to read back though my posts will see it too.

The systems for reporting deaths varies country to country. The level of detail and timing behind them are known only to those who operate said systems.
Our Trust....... Patient tests positive fo Covid-19 becomes a "Positive inpatient" on the 1st of the month (for ease), stays in hospital for 10 days and sadly dies on the 11th of the month. They re not reported as a Covid death until a second lab test is completed (up to 4 days) so the 15th of the month, the death then has to be authorised on our system, can be another 4 days , 19th of the month. Number is sent to DOHSC, 24-48 hours, or longer with weekends and bank holidays......... they become a Covid Death press statistic 21 days after 1st diagnosis.
Comparing that across different legislatures and systems is like herding cats!
I like you, really. I disagree with you about a lot of things, often vehemently, but at least you engage, and if you have information or worthwhile knowledge of something you put it across in a reasonable fashion. Unless you’re on an intentional wind up, which you sometimes are you big rascal. At least you don’t P**s your pants, and you play the ball rather than the man. Not everybody does that.

Yes... I’m convinced that you are my best friend. After Cannell.

At least you don’t P**s your pants, and you play the ball rather than the man.

I know I shouldn't bite, but as you pretend to ignore my posts it really doesn't matter!

This "playing the ball" shite is truly pathetic. It's called debate and when you suggest that the government are committing genocide these views will be challenged.

I'd rather take notice of those who are at the sharp end of this crisis and socially distance myself from those with no idea.

Back
Top Bottom