International News Covid-19 .....

Bit of an epic, but an informative overview of what CV19 is and a few other facts too ... cut and pasted from elsewhere, (where it had already been cut and pasted)....

John Robb
1 hr ·

From Jayne Casey Facebook page...long read about the virus and where it comes from - bit more complex than making a guess about 5G or Wuhan labs.
''Scientific advancements in molecular dating suggest Coronaviruses are close to 290 million years old. As such, they have an extremely long and complex genome.
However, as they are so ancient, they are made not of DNA, but of RNA, which is a more primitive single stranded, genetic material. With a highly unstable membrane, this can easily be disturbed and killed, prior to hijacking our cells, that is. Imagine the sensitivity of a balloon; which is why heat, or the simple act of vigorous hand-washing and bleaching is so effective at destroying it.
Humans have dealt with Coronaviruses in the form of the common cold all of our lives. And more recently, and far more seriously, during the SARS & MERS outbreaks of 2003 and 2012.
Since these more deadly diseases presented, scientists have been warning public health officials and governments of the dangers of such a pandemic. Hence all of the sci-fi movies, books, apocalyptic drama series, featuring mutated Corona-respiratory viruses. Especially in Asia, where they are commonly found, and have caused such public health emergencies in the past.
Coronaviruses are split into 4 groups, 2 of which are found in birds, and 2 in bats.
Bats, like us, are mammals. They are also a natural reservoir of many viruses, as they have an extremely powerful immune system. This means they can host them without producing an inflammatory response and actually becoming sick themselves.
This is, however, worse for us, as when bats fly twice daily -some at speeds exceeding 90 miles per hour- their body temperature mimics that of a fever, and the viruses they host must mutate to withstand this.
Of course, fever is the human body’s way of attacking and killing pathogens, so if we become infected by a virus built to withstand this response, we are in trouble.
I keep seeing people talking about “eating bats”...
Here in Asia, bats are eaten commonly across many cultures. However, it is not ingesting the meat of a bat which caused this virus to enter a human. And no scientist ever said this. The simple act of cooking would kill a Coronavirus anyway.
No, in China, it is common practice to keep a wide variety of live wild animals, including bats, in wet markets, where they are sold. Keeping live bats in a confined space, with human contact, could easily lead to exposure and transmission through a bite, blood contact during killing, or simply excessive “viral shedding”, which occurs when an animal becomes stressed, and the immune response changes, causing the previously suppressed virus to replicate rapidly.
Similar to how we may develop a cold sore when we become ill with a cold or flu, if we are already unfortunate enough to host the herpes virus.
In the past many viruses have also entered the human population from bats via a secondary host. Which could well be the case with the novel Coronavirus, as bats were kept in filthy conditions alongside a variety of “exotic animals” at the markets where the outbreak originated.
Incidentally, following the SARS-COV-1 outbreak in 2003, a virology institute was founded in the Hubei province where many hundreds of Coronaviruses are isolated from wild bats and stored and studied by scientists everyday. It is also possible that infection occurred through scientific contact with a virus. One thing is clear though, it was certainly a single human infection that led to this pandemic. If the virus leaped into more than one human, the researchers would expect a greater number of genetic mutations.
What non-science people don’t realise is, that science leaves a trail, that all scientists can follow. Even unaffiliated ones.
If this virus “didn’t exist” or was “genetically engineered” or didn’t resemble what the published information was saying, then it would require thousands of research assistants, PhD students, doctors, virologists, immunologists the world over, who are looking at the sequence of the genome, looking at the virus under the microscope, reading the scientific literature, to be staying silent.
If one asks any member of the scientific community, academic or medical, even a high school science teacher; they all say the same thing. This was an accident waiting to happen. They’ve been expecting it for years. They’ve even used their research grants to study this stuff and issue stark warnings. Singapore set up a centre for infectious disease research following SARS-COV-1. Hence their exemplary response to this situation.
But I guess the idea of a 5G conspiracy is just sexier than reading up, listening to experts from all walks of life, and then accepting our governments wilful ignorance and total disregard for human life.''.....

Absolutely.... however you can't avoid global challenges arising and the issue here is how our government is dealing with this one. Ours is demonstrating incompetence and dishonesty. Why defend them?
PS I am not claiming that any of this would be easy for any government however barefaced lying isn't a way forward. I was actual impressed by some of Hancock's candour yesterday so it can be done!

Well this is cr*p whichever way you look at it. I can't see how though people can be sent to care homes without tests or when showing symptoms. The likelihood of it sweeping through a care home is high considering the likely condition of the residents and that staff have to be in close proximity, so social distancing isn't possible.

Here, the Care Home staff/managers are rightly criticising the Govt and its rules. That is why blindly not criticising the Govt is the wrong thing to do imo.

PS I am not claiming that any of this would be easy for any government however barefaced lying isn't a way forward. I was actual impressed by some of Hancock's candour yesterday so it can be done!

Indeed, there will be good points and bad points to come out of all this. I would hope the resulting public enquiry will be fair and just.

On the matter of honesty... unfortunately you can’t take the politician out of people.. the classic kissing babies heads whilst stealing their lollipops scenario... however, I think China have been far from honest and upfront about all of this and maybe, just maybe, if they hadn’t tried to conceal and play this down initially then things may have turned out different. But that is only conjecture.

What I am finding a little tasteless is the political posturing as though a labour government would have got every decision correct. Easy to express that opinion from the other side of the fence but in reality they would have still been using the same resources and using the same scientific experts.

Indeed, there will be good points and bad points to come out of all this. I would hope the resulting public enquiry will be fair and just.

On the matter of honesty... unfortunately you can’t take the politician out of people.. the classic kissing babies heads whilst stealing their lollipops scenario... however, I think China have been far from honest and upfront about all of this and maybe, just maybe, if they hadn’t tried to conceal and play this down initially then things may have turned out different. But that is only conjecture.

What I am finding a little tasteless is the political posturing as though a labour government would have got every decision correct. Easy to express that opinion from the other side of the fence but in reality they would have still been using the same resources and using the same scientific experts.
Public enquiries are not established to find anything out, they are established to shove issues into the long grass. Firstly, identify a knight of the Realm, secondly take ages agreeing terms of reference, thirdly report back belatedly, fourthly (not an exhaustive list) business as usual. Check out Grenfell.

I know this is a bit of a tautology, but one thing that really shits me off over recent years is that if you criticise the government you are accused of politicising the argument.

Well, the fact is, that the government are responsible and regardless of who they are they are open to scrutiny. I have 0.000% doubt that anyone currently complaining about political points being scored would be applying exactly the same to a different government.

Wake up folks. It’s because party politics is built into the UK parliamentary system.

By saying “party politics should be avoided in the current environment” is like saying “our system of government is useless”.
The current govt spent a lot of time and money saying “don’t vote for them, they’re useless”. Fine. They’re useless, so don’t blame them and step up and take responsibility. If you are deficient, own it.

If now is the time for dropping politics - that means now is the time to stop pretending that your ascent to power was anything other than politics!

So is there anyone on here who doesn't believe the government is making it up as they go along?

The major issue is that we live in a instant society where we want instant answers to any problems, instant information at any time and instant action to solve all of our problems yesterday,the only drawback is that this is dependent on the most un instant factor people doing something in a environment that we have never been subjected to , I am not defending anyone or taking a political slant on what’s happening, I just get the impression that the majority of people are trying to do their best , whether if that is good enough I hope so

There will have to be some serious mental health support (and not just praise in the press) for medical staff after this. That last few paragraphs are just wow, how horrible for them that the situation creates this mindset!

more lies .....

Have you ever noticed that these people never have the courage of their convictions to put a name to an allegation? If that article said "Mr Joe Smith CEO of LocalShop said he had spoken too..." it might have some credence. Without it it is complete pish.
Matt Hancock could be talking to Lord Sainsbury so the folk on the ground wouldn`t know......... so it isn`t a "lie" is it?

So is there anyone on here who doesn't believe the government is making it up as they go along?

Every region has Emergency planning for such things, the Government then has to hold all that together in the face of "whatever it is".
In this case they are dealing with the facts & the consequences and sending a very clear message to all of us.
Stay at home. (if we don`t move it doesn`t spread)
Protect the NHS (with resources we can cope)
Save lives (see above)

They are "managing" 66+ million folk pretty well tbf.

Have you ever noticed that these people never have the courage of their convictions to put a name to an allegation? If that article said "Mr Joe Smith CEO of LocalShop said he had spoken too..." it might have some credence. Without it it is complete pish.
Matt Hancock could be talking to Lord Sainsbury so the folk on the ground wouldn`t know......... so it isn`t a "lie" is it?
ooops - I only managed to leave the question mark off ( as in 'more lies ?... ') :rolleyes:

Every region has Emergency planning for such things, the Government then has to hold all that together in the face of "whatever it is".
In this case they are dealing with the facts & the consequences and sending a very clear message to all of us.
Save lives (see above)

They don't seem to managing care homes and the folk in that very well etc.

Save lives (see above)

Sorry but what a load of ####!

The NHS, care homes, local government, food suppliers etc are performing miracles. But that's in spite not because of central government for all the reasons above.

• React
Reactions: Ian
Because the government weren't warned! Most people were screaming out from the roof tops!
Screenshot_20200403_171244_com.android.chrome.jpg

• React
Sorry but what a load of ####!

The NHS, care homes, local government, food suppliers etc are performing miracles. But that's in spite not because of central government for all the reasons above.
Genuine question:
How has government policy(other than possibly not ordering “lockdown” sooner) caused problems for food distribution and retail of same ?

Genuine question:
How has government policy(other than possibly not ordering “lockdown” sooner) caused problems for food distribution and retail of same ?
As I said, as above...

Govt: We're talking to supermarkets
Supermarkets: You're not.

It all adds to confused messaging = unnecessary conversations/clarifications = wasted time

When you are on the front line trying to deliver and the government push out falsehood it doesn't help.

• React
As I said, as above...

Govt: We're talking to supermarkets
Supermarkets: You're not.

It all adds to confused messaging = unnecessary conversations/clarifications = wasted time

When you are on the front line trying to deliver and the government push out falsehood it doesn't help.
Talk about politicians not answering the question tabled.
They say a day is a long tome in politics.
You post a video from 4 weeks ago (the 7th March) and use that as evidence that the government are indirectly curtailing the activities of food distribution and retail of same-in April.
I believe it is on record ( Kantar) that the month of March was the busiest since records began, with many stores up over 100%.
Again I ask, how is this government causing the above industry to fail ?

Back
Top Bottom