International News Covid-19 .....

Go into lockdown, infections decrease, then what? because the virus will still be around, you cant kill a virus.

Similar infection rates but lower death rates than us and they are going into full lockdown. We're not. It will be interesting to see how the two countries fair in the next few weeks.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Britain (and other countries) follow, whether this week or a few weeks down the line. Johnson has copied the approach from Germany and other countries on several occasions since March, usually two or three weeks afterwards. If he were a good politician then it would be the other way round.

Go into lockdown, infections decrease, then what? because the virus will still be around, you cant kill a virus.
In Germany it's the death figures that are causing most alarm, record numbers (though no signs of exponential growth) and plateaued at a comparatively high level. Once infections decrease then deaths will too. And by then the vaccine (plot twist to give Brexiters wet dreams, it's been held up by EU red tape in Germany despite being invented in the country) will be ready.

Intensive care bed numbers are "red", but then that's the same every year...unused ICU beds cost millions. What people don't seem to understand is that bed number is a flexible concept. It's not as simple as having 10,000 beds (physical, actual beds) in total...if 1,000 staff have to isolate for example then the capacity reduces to 9,000...the physical metal and mattress bed is still there, but cannot be used.

'Cos they don't a**e about when they lockdown? 😳

I was referring to its impact on pretty much the rest of the world rather than just the UK. Many countries have been lauded for theIt swift responses (I.e Germany) yet their situation is still on a knife edge.

The minute we seem get on top of this virus and ease out of lockdown it flares right back up.... But China, nope... just going about their normal business now.

Sunday figures.... sorry...bit late!
41,399 people in Leicestershire have tested positive - up from 41,129 (increase 270).
19,314 (increase of 124) were within the Leicester City Council area.
22,085 (increase of 146) cases were reported in the County.

No deaths reported. :)

Australia and New Zealand appear to be doing ok too (based on friends/family out there).

If only we were an island with the ability to restrict entry and impose mandatory hotel quarantine on arrivals... it could have been so different.

One of those islands has rather a lot of space and better weather, the others have far fewer people.... and better weather!
Australia has 7 people per sq mile.
NZ is 46 per sq mile.
England 1010 per sq mile.

Human contact spreads it.

I`m all for us closing the borders hard, if you are in you are in, if you are out.... tough luck........ to late though.

One of those islands has rather a lot of space and better weather, the others have far fewer people.... and better weather!
NZ is 46 per sq mile.

I`m all for us closing the borders hard, if you are in you are in, if you are out.... tough luck........ to late though.

While I agree that Australia is considerably larger than the U.K. there’s huge swathes of it that aren’t inhabited. Sydney has a population of nearly 3k per square km, whilst this is less than our cities it’s certainly not a small number.

Surely the question is what has gone wrong for Germany, rather than a baseline comparison of deaths measured in a different way?
Germany done really well in the first wave, implemented a lighter lockdown and now are in reverse looking at a pre-Christmas hard lockdown?

Population -
Germany 83 million
UK 66 milion

• React
Reactions: QR
NZ is 46 per sq mile.

I'm not sure the Aussies would all agree on the weather front with all the wildfires last year and now have Byron Bay losing its beach with a storm and more heavy storms expected due to El Nino.

It seems that the chaos of delays in vaccine delivery and appointments having to be cancelled has now started...

Can’t say this is any real surprise.

I was referring to its impact on pretty much the rest of the world rather than just the UK. Many countries have been lauded for theIt swift responses (I.e Germany) yet their situation is still on a knife edge.

The minute we seem get on top of this virus and ease out of lockdown it flares right back up.... But China, nope... just going about their normal business now.
Because, if youve been "researching" very similar viruses in your big lab, doing a bit of tinkering, not being too careful about sanitising yourself, you have a much better idea of what youre dealing with when it goes to s**t. Plus lots of lying of course.

How do you know that?you think the Chinese tell the truth?

Well indeed... I don’t necessarily trust their stats one bit.

But they are certainly going about their normal business and their economy has rebounded dramatically.

So.... they have either decided that they need to live and mix with it and hundreds of thousands of people are actually getting incredibly ill with the virus on a daily basis (given the size and density of their population), or the virus is not spreading or affecting them in the way the scientists have predicted it will here.

The government are shooting themselves in the foot by not cancelling the five Xmas Beano. Things will get worse as a result and allowing that to happen 75k will be dead by New Year’s Eve.!

The government are shooting themselves in the foot by not cancelling the five Xmas Beano. Things will get worse as a result and allowing that to happen 75k will be dead by New Year’s Eve.!
How would cancelling the Beano help? Its not like Dennis the Menace is a super spreader?

Back
Top Bottom