General Corners

The issue with Brannagan's floated corner is that they're so difficult to attack. I think the logic behind them is that they're also difficult to clear. A pacy corner can be headed powerfully away, which could lead to a more effective counter opportunity.

I do think there's a middle ground though between a long and short corner. Just playing the ball to the corner of the box for someone to whip the ball in with pace will disrupt the defensive shape and maybe allow someone like Taylor or our big defenders a bit more space to attack the ball.

Think the intention of the floated cross is forDickie to head back across goal - which carries a higher chance of scoring.

The downside being the keeper has a pretty easy time as despite putting a player on him we don’t create any other blocks

Think the intention of the floated cross is forDickie to head back across goal - which carries a higher chance of scoring.

The downside being the keeper has a pretty easy time as despite putting a player on him we don’t create any other blocks
Not much chance of that if they are floated into the 6 yard box, as that's too easy for the keeper.

Pretty much all of Brannagan's went that way against Lincoln.

I've said for years to anyone that will listen that if a player were to take up position on or just in from the corner of the penalty area on the opposite side from the kick, the ball would come through to him more often than not, either because the corner is over hit or the defense gets a flicked header on to it.

It seems an obvious way of recycling the ball to me - so obvious that there must be a tactical reason that I can't see for doing it....

The corner against City, shows why we don’t score many, Dickie had virtually a free header but straight into arms of Bravo, that aside Dickie has be awesome

One for the stats gurus here.

Isn’t success at corners often down to the average height of the team? I’d contend we are not an especially tall team and this is backed up by the impression that we don’t in fact score a high ratio of headed goals.

Correct me if I’m wrong of course.

Or looking at it another way - how many do we concede from corners? That's the other side of the coin, teams defending them. Any team regularly letting goals in from corners would be called weak.

The corner against City, shows why we don’t score many, Dickie had virtually a free header but straight into arms of Bravo, that aside Dickie has be awesome
Not sure it does at all.

Most of our corners our players get nowhere near them.

I've said for years to anyone that will listen that if a player were to take up position on or just in from the corner of the penalty area on the opposite side from the kick, the ball would come through to him more often than not, either because the corner is over hit or the defense gets a flicked header on to it.

It seems an obvious way of recycling the ball to me - so obvious that there must be a tactical reason that I can't see for doing it....

I say it every corner we have, put someone on that position, or just outside the box. A fair proportion end up getting glanced out to that area and there is never a player positioned to collect it. Baffling.

I disagree that he takes good corners, he seems to just float it up to the far post every time, better than not beating the first man but they never seem very threatening. I prefer the whipping it in style of Maguire or Garbutt

Interesting, I’m sure you’re right. I don’t recall them to necessarily be floated I guess the maguires and Garbutts strike the ball with a lot more effect/severity

I think with corners as long as we retain the ball then they have some value, because the general stats are obviously not good.
Maybe short corners are better for us because it suits or style of play.

I remember Brock consistently nailing a floated near post corner for whatmore to flick on, caused havoc back then but I’m guessing that’s something that can be defended easily nowadays

With the way we are playing at the moment I would say we get a minimum of eight corners per game.Haven't looked this up it just seems like it. If we get two in quick succession we might try something different, The trouble is we try the same routine time after time.As this doesn’t seem to work as stated on here previously you would think we could try something a little different.Same goes for free kicks out wide.
Lincoln had 2/3 different ideas and the one that impressed was the very long corner which left a aplayer unmarked who headed back across goal.
Branagan can hit forty yard passes at will so he should be able to find a spot where someone could run onto.

Something I've noticed recently at games is how we are now varying that play - although it's usually between Dickie, Mousinho and Ruffels to keep teams guessing. There are times where Dickie is the decoy because teams are so focused on stopping him at set pieces that they get sucked in.

Also, we've varied where the runs are coming from and how the are timed. While we still aren't scoring from corners, we are doing enough to make opposition scouts work hard. Just like in the NFL where you setup teams with different plays from the same look.

Bit late but I thought set pieces looked a lot better vs Donny. Partly down to Baptiste who really drives them in but also seemed to have a clear strategy of targeting Mous + Dickie at the back to head back in, unlucky not to score from at least one

I remember Brock consistently nailing a floated near post corner for whatmore to flick on, caused havoc back then but I’m guessing that’s something that can be defended easily nowadays
Why is it easier to defend now than it was then?

Brannigan takes very good corners, delivery is fine imo
Can put my finger on why we don’t capitalize somehow

I actually think Baptiste took better corners when hitting them deep, then someone like Dickie heading the ball back across goal.

The other issue is, we never have someone holding out the back. Invariably the ball tends to drift out the back either by the defending winning the initial ball or it being over kicked etc, so would help if someone (possibly the opposite fullback) drifting in behind.

Additional to cornes, we don to seem that great on any set pieces in and around the box.

Back
Top Bottom