Championship Championship Relegation Battle

Rotherham
Barnsley
Doncaster
Huddersfield
Sheff Wed

All pretty much on eachothers door steps.

Hopefully we will be visiting Sheff Utd, Leeds Utd, and Hull City as Yorkshire opponents.

It would take a very unlikely set of results for Wednesday to go down now. The young German dude has done an impressive rescue job there.

So they’ll likely be waiting for us in the Championship too!

If we stay down, I'd rather Plymouth come down, Birmingham will spend big.

You'd have to imagine Huddersfield will have an EXTREMELY competitive budget as well? Maybe even still getting the parachute payments. And Rotherham never mugs in League One.

Just a note about the other end of the Championship table (because, you know, there's a 1 in 4 chance that's going to impact us next year!).....

.....Ipswich now one point away from promotion to the PL, with a home game against likely-already-doomed Huddersfield to come (whilst Leeds play Southampton).

Heck of an achievement that would be. I know they were the moneybags team the last few years in League One, but they're not now and they're competing and on the verge of beating a bunch of clubs that have far more money than they do.

The crazier thing - the ten guys who have made the most Championship starts for them this season are (in order) Hladky, Chaplin, Davis, Morsy, Woolfenden, Burgess, Luongo, Burns, Broadhead & Clarke....and all of them were playing for them in League One at least for the second half of last season. Maybe the gap between the two divisions doesn't have to be as big as we sometimes think?

You have to think that if ever a British manager is going to get a shot at a big Premier League gig ever again, Kieran McKenna must be on a very short list........

Thats impressive about the players I had assumed they had brought in quite a few. And we had an ok record against them.

Just a note about the other end of the Championship table (because, you know, there's a 1 in 4 chance that's going to impact us next year!).....

.....Ipswich now one point away from promotion to the PL, with a home game against likely-already-doomed Huddersfield to come (whilst Leeds play Southampton).

Heck of an achievement that would be. I know they were the moneybags team the last few years in League One, but they're not now and they're competing and on the verge of beating a bunch of clubs that have far more money than they do.

The crazier thing - the ten guys who have made the most Championship starts for them this season are (in order) Hladky, Chaplin, Davis, Morsy, Woolfenden, Burgess, Luongo, Burns, Broadhead & Clarke....and all of them were playing for them in League One at least for the second half of last season. Maybe the gap between the two divisions doesn't have to be as big as we sometimes think?

You have to think that if ever a British manager is going to get a shot at a big Premier League gig ever again, Kieran McKenna must be on a very short list........
An extraordinary season for them. What a job McKenna has done for them.
It will be interesting to see where he goes next. I reckon if he gets a good offer he could be off before the new season.
Go out on a high before the inevitable struggle next season. Would some team like West Ham be brave enough to take him?

It will be interesting to see where he goes next. I reckon if he gets a good offer he could be off before the new season.
Go out on a high before the inevitable struggle next season. Would some team like West Ham be brave enough to take him?

If the football rumours are to be believed, West Ham are after Lille's manager, Paulo Fonseca.

Apart from the prem strugglers like Southampton with Jones, not counting Wilder, Dyche as they got themselves promoted first, Lampard, Gerrard were glamour names, when was the last time a half decent prem side gave a chance to a homegrown manager with no real big name from the FL? It just doesn't seem something that happens anymore. i expect he will be Ipswich manager next season, inevitably lose a few games and he will never get a real chance in the top flight.

Apart from the prem strugglers like Southampton with Jones, not counting Wilder, Dyche as they got themselves promoted first, Lampard, Gerrard were glamour names, when was the last time a half decent prem side gave a chance to a homegrown manager with no real big name from the FL? It just doesn't seem something that happens anymore. i expect he will be Ipswich manager next season, inevitably lose a few games and he will never get a real chance in the top flight.
You maybe right, but that would be ridiculous in my view.
The job that he has done wouod make him manager of the season to me ( competing with clubs with huge parachute payments giving them a real advantage.

The thing in his favour from a PL club perspective is that he was a coach at Man U in the past....

The only recent one I can think of that was successful was Graham Potter when Brighton took him from Swansea. Even the Championship clubs seems more interested in getting managers from outside the Football League.

However, our current manager came from outside the FL.

I just don't see him getting a good job like West Ham, he could get the Brentford job say if that came up but is that much better than just staying put at the club where he has credit in the bank?

I just don't see him getting a good job like West Ham, he could get the Brentford job say if that came up but is that much better than just staying put at the club where he has credit in the bank?
Brentford would give him a far better chance of staying up in my view.
They are nearly as established PL club. It is likely that Ipswich will do a 'Luton' and struggle to stay up next season. It is not impossible that they go down in a similar way to Sheffield United. If he does stay and keeps them up next season, his stock will be higher still.

Man Utd, if they were a serious team and realised they need a project manager a la Klopp or Arteta to get them competitive again, should be interested.

Brentford would give him a far better chance of staying up in my view.
They are nearly as established PL club. It is likely that Ipswich will do a 'Luton' and struggle to stay up next season. It is not impossible that they go down in a similar way to Sheffield United. If he does stay and keeps them up next season, his stock will be higher still.

Brentford have been slipping down though, they have to reinvest the Toney money wisely this summer.

If Ipswich are sensible they will give him a goo deal and if they go down keep him on the next year.

Man Utd, if they were a serious team and realised they need a project manager a la Klopp or Arteta to get them competitive again, should be interested.

They should, but I bet they won't.

They'll end up hiring some Spanish, Dutch or Portugese guy we've never heard of, who happened to have taken some midtable La Liga side to the quarter finals of the Conference League.

The only young English manager who didn't happen to be an international star as a player that I can think of that's gotten a top gig recently is Eddie Howe - and to get it, he had to not only take Bournemouth from League One to the Premier League, but also keep them there for five years!

They should, but I bet they won't.

They'll end up hiring some Spanish, Dutch or Portugese guy we've never heard of, who happened to have taken some midtable La Liga side to the quarter finals of the Conference League.

The only young English manager who didn't happen to be an international star as a player that I can think of that's gotten a top gig recently is Eddie Howe - and to get it, he had to not only take Bournemouth from League One to the Premier League, but also keep them there for five years!
There’s Gary O’Neil? He was a PL player for a bit I think but not a big star, he’s done very well - though Bournemouth booted him out for the aforementioned foreign chap.

There’s Gary O’Neil? He was a PL player for a bit I think but not a big star, he’s done very well - though Bournemouth booted him out for the aforementioned foreign chap.

That is true - although he took a very strange path. Joined the Bournemouth coaching staff, stayed on after the manager who hired him left, got the caretaker job, did great then got binned......only to get another gig at Wolves where he's done equally great.

It's not exactly the 'Prove yourself in the Football League then get your chance' model!

Back
Top Bottom