International News Black Lives Matter

Is he wrong here for saying what he thought here then or would you rather he just said what he thought the public wanted to hear?
I would rather he was thoughtful and restrained, rather than indulge in these kind of disrespectful games. We should have greater expectations of politicians rather than continuously making excuses for them.

I would rather he was thoughtful and restrained, rather than indulge in these kind of disrespectful games. We should have greater expectations of politicians rather than continuously making excuses for them.
A game would perhaps imply that he was being disingenuous however I don’t think he was. I understand your opinion but I’m not making excuses for anyone, simply acknowledging someone else’s opinion that others may be reluctant to express for fear of criticism.

I think he ought to read more and think carefully about what the 'taking a knee' signifies in this context. It *does not* mean somehow being subservient to anyone - so the basis of what he is objecting to is basically wrong. And what's all the Game of Thrones nonsense?
He has already come out with a whole load of rather peculiar views which seem at odds with the modern world.
Do I give him some credit for honesty? Yes I do.
Do I think it's a brilliant idea for him to give the idea to some of the more 'traditional' in society that this is somehow a gesture of subservience? Not at all, really.
Do I think it's a shame that a man with views so far out of step with the mood of the times (about many things) is in the position he holds? Yes, certainly.
Why are you so sure he’s ‘so far out of step with the mood’?

Isn't there 2 parts to this? Firstly, completely missing the point on where the kneeling came from, I can't believe anyone would think it's from GoT and not started as a silent protest in the US. That's just mad, anyone in office should have a basic knowledge of what is going on.

The second part 'I only kneel for the Queen or proposing', well that's up to him. Bit of an odd way to word it though, and quite insensitive though. But his choice to kneel or not.

Isn't there 2 parts to this? Firstly, completely missing the point on where the kneeling came from, I can't believe anyone would think it's from GoT and not started as a silent protest in the US. That's just mad, anyone in office should have a basic knowledge of what is going on.

The second part 'I only kneel for the Queen or proposing', well that's up to him. Bit of an odd way to word it though, and quite insensitive though. But his choice to kneel or not.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office is subject to potential legal proceedings by Harry Dunn’s family. Raab may well be grateful for any distractions that can be provoked?

I expect Julia Hartley Brewer is patting herself on the back for the laid back style of interview that elicited his response, a clumsy response that he probably regrets now having likened it to something that happens on a tv show but people need to show a sense of perspective in their response to his comments.
It wasn't disinterested or clumsy, it was ignorant and crass which given his position is inexcusable.

RFU reviewing the song Swing Low due to slavery connections/ connotations ....

The chance of the fans not singing it is pretty slim - a similar ban was mooted 4 years ago when BLM was a thing then and nothing happened.

Interestingly, the song Amazing Grace was sung at one of George Floyd's funerals. The song was written by John Newton, a Slave Trader, and in the present hysterical environment, should it be banned? What's good for Cecil Rhodes is good John Newton?

The chance of the fans not singing it is pretty slim - a similar ban was mooted 4 years ago when BLM was a thing then and nothing happened.

Interestingly, the song Amazing Grace was sung at one of George Floyd's funerals. The song was written by John Newton, a Slave Trader, and in the present hysterical environment, should it be banned? What's good for Cecil Rhodes is good John Newton?
Interestingly, Amazing Grace was already discussed on here, with someone (sorry dunno who) pointing out that it was written by the slave trader who became enlightened about what he had done "I was blind but now I can see", so in short, probably not.

Interestingly, Amazing Grace was already discussed on here, with someone (sorry dunno who) pointing out that it was written by the slave trader who became enlightened about what he had done "I was blind but now I can see", so in short, probably not.
I have no issue with it whatsoever, but it does show the level of ignorance out there in the zeal to hide or remove history that some don't like, and how perhaps a little more care and thought is needed at this moment. Even if Newton repented after the ship wreck, surely the fact he continued slave trading and investment in it after converting to Christianity, means the song is on the removal list?

I have no issue with it whatsoever, but it does show the level of ignorance out there in the zeal to hide or remove history that some don't like, and how perhaps a little more care and thought is needed at this moment. Even if Newton repented after the ship wreck, surely the fact he continued slave trading and investment in it after converting to Christianity, means the song is on the removal list?
You have a very simplistic view of morality. Anyone would think you have chucked out a judgement based on the first few lines of a Wikipedia entry.

Back
Top Bottom