International News Black Lives Matter

It comes down to what is (the definition of) institutional racism and I haven't seen that discussed much. There is possibly an eliminate of unintentionally but damaging 'cross purposes' going on here.

It first reared it`s head in the Lawrence report by Sir William Macpherson in 1999.

"The collective failure of an organisation to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin. It can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour that amount to discrimination through prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness, and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people"

In my humble, right leaning opinion there is almost zero institutional racism, most large organisations have policies and procedures to nullify it`s occurrence either intentional or accidental.
However, and this is where it gets tricky, as you work down into society as a whole the water is much more murky.
Racism still exists and it is not purely the domain of "White v Black" it is far more subtle and nuanced.
Then you are into far wider societal problems of how some people choose to live.

Good luck fixing that, lets just be nice humans that would be a start.

It first reared it`s head in the Lawrence report by Sir William Macpherson in 1999.

"The collective failure of an organisation to provide an appropriate and professional service to people because of their colour, culture, or ethnic origin. It can be seen or detected in processes, attitudes and behaviour that amount to discrimination through prejudice, ignorance, thoughtlessness, and racist stereotyping which disadvantage minority ethnic people"

In my humble, right leaning opinion there is almost zero institutional racism, most large organisations have policies and procedures to nullify it`s occurrence either intentional or accidental.
However, and this is where it gets tricky, as you work down into society as a whole the water is much more murky.
Racism still exists and it is not purely the domain of "White v Black" it is far more subtle and nuanced.
Then you are into far wider societal problems of how some people choose to live.

Good luck fixing that, lets just be nice humans that would be a start.
I've worked in large organisations with excellent policies and procedures but I have also witnessed overt racism at all level of the same organisations.

I've worked in large organisations with excellent policies and procedures but I have also witnessed overt racism at all level of the same organisations.

That is where the problems can be. However it doesn`t follow that the behaviour of an individual makes the entire organisation "institutionally racist".
Weeding out the individuals and/or changing their behaviour is the institutional problem, not racism per se.

That is where the problems can be. However it doesn`t follow that the behaviour of an individual makes the entire organisation "institutionally racist".
Weeding out the individuals and/or changing their behaviour is the institutional problem, not racism per se.
Oh if it were only one! There's a lot of low level, under the radar racism out there that cumulatively adds up to institutional racism despite the wonderful policies and procedures.

Hmm. I don’t see it that way. I see institutional racism as the unintended discrimination that arises from bias in processes and standards. Eg things like close-downs at traditional times that relate to only some religions, definitions of professional attire etc. It’s not racist to have Christmas holidays and expect people to wear (the right kind of) suit, shirt and tie, but when a few of these things pile up they start to conspire against specific minorities and the result is discriminatory.

To be honest I think a team standing arms around shoulders on the centre circle in unity says far more than "taking the knee".

That`s just me though...

To be honest I think a team standing arms around shoulders on the centre circle in unity says far more than "taking the knee".

That`s just me though...
Absolutely agree with you. Although I think the whole thing has served a purpose, and it’s time to move on.

Ive always thought taking the knee looked more like a surrendering stance.

When independent isn't really independent. Pretty incendiary if this is proven to be true. Johnson will need his very best lies to get out of the poo.

It'll get lost in all the other stuff they've done.

Absolutely shocking if true, hopefully there will be a thorough and open investigation into this.

When a body writes a report there is very often an executive summary, the juicy bits if you like. If the report didn`t have one then it will get chopped about.

The Government will not, and should not, take every single sentence as verbatim, they have to take a broader view, the summary, as they are representing everyone.

Hence, from the Guardian link....

"A spokesperson for the race commission said: “We reject these allegations. They are deliberately seeking to divert attention from the recommendations made in the report.

The commission’s view is that, if implemented, these 24 recommendations can change for the better the lives of millions across the UK, whatever their ethnic or social background. That is the goal they continue to remain focused on.”

You do the big broad stuff to make a difference, the small stuff happens locally.

When a body writes a report there is very often an executive summary, the juicy bits if you like. If the report didn`t have one then it will get chopped about.

The Government will not, and should not, take every single sentence as verbatim, they have to take a broader view, the summary, as they are representing everyone.

"A spokesperson for the race commission said: “We reject these allegations. They are deliberately seeking to divert attention from the recommendations made in the report.

The commission’s view is that, if implemented, these 24 recommendations can change for the better the lives of millions across the UK, whatever their ethnic or social background. That is the goal they continue to remain focused on.”

You do the big broad stuff to make a difference, the small stuff happens locally.
Completely (and probably deliberately) missing the point as usual. King of the gaslighters strikes again.

Hahaha. Tory Central Office will be impressed with you.

In my experience (including being part of reviews/writing the reports) in the public sector, all parties involved got to see the whole report before it was published as they'd be asked for comments etc. In this case assuming the article is accurate, then contributors have been denied that with this report being treated as if it is a top secret intelligence document by partitioning knowledge to individual bits.

Oh, and the Govt claimed this is an independent review/report but the process described is the opposite of independent based on that article.

Completely (and probably deliberately) missing the point as usual. King of the gaslighters strikes again.

Get some new material........ is that the best reasoned discussion you`ve got? Weak.

Back
Top Bottom