Spanish Football Barcelona refusing to honour contracts

boogaloo

Strange goings on at Barcelona. They claim they are skint and can't afford any players, yet they have splashed out £150million on various talent including Lewandowski. And now La Liga won't let them register their new players because their wage bill is too high.

So, to try and balance their books they are now trying to force out players like Martin Braithwaite, Frenkie De Jong and Samuel Umtiti.

Their scummy fans apparently booed Braithwaite because he's refusing to leave. Why should he leave? Barcelona in their stupidy decided to offer him a four year contract. He's well within his rights to stand his ground.

They've also said that Frenkie De Jong must either take a 50% pay cut or leave. Errrr, no - What part of 'Contract' do Barcelona not understand?

Horrible club - I hope the 3 of them stick to their guns. Tough sh*t if Barcelona can't manage their finances.

Strange goings on at Barcelona. They claim they are skint and can't afford any players, yet they have splashed out £150million on various talent including Lewandowski. And now La Liga won't let them register their new players because their wage bill is too high.

So, to try and balance their books they are now trying to force out players like Martin Braithwaite, Frenkie De Jong and Samuel Umtiti.

Their scummy fans apparently booed Braithwaite because he's refusing to leave. Why should he leave? Barcelona in their stupidy decided to offer him a four year contract. He's well within his rights to stand his ground.

They've also said that Frenkie De Jong must either take a 50% pay cut or leave. Errrr, no - What part of 'Contract' do Barcelona not understand?

Horrible club - I hope the 3 of them stick to their guns. Tough sh*t if Barcelona can't manage their finances.

Agreed. They got £500m in iirc this summer by selling a % of certain future income streams so pay your debts/obligations. Especially when the likes of De Jong deferred his pay to help them out originally.

Agreed. They got £500m in iirc this summer by selling a % of certain future income streams so pay your debts/obligations. Especially when the likes of De Jong deferred his pay to help them out originally.

Look into that rights deal, it’s very dodgy, they have essentially paid themselves the money through a shell company so they can go out and buy players. I imagine them and Madrid will have another go at forcing the super league through soon, desperate for the cash.

Read this morning that if they don't raise the funds to register players like Christensen and Kessie by Saturday then they will be forced to let the leave for free before the end of the window.

They seem to believe that there is one rule for Barca and one for every other team.
We are bankrupt? No problem let's set up a European 'super ' league which will generate more revenue.
Hope they have to let players go and actually follow the rules!

Read this morning that if they don't raise the funds to register players like Christensen and Kessie by Saturday then they will be forced to let the leave for free before the end of the window.

I believe it's Spanish La Liga rules that prevent them being registered, in that they must adhere to financial fair play. However they are still contracted to Barcelona, but they just won't be able to play any La Liga matches.

UEFA rules on the other hand don't appear to give a toss about financial fair play (PSG and Man City being prime examples), so I guess they could theoretically register them and play them in the Champions League matches, but where exactly are the players going to get their match fitness from? 🤷‍♂️

So basically they're lumbered with players earning a total of over £1million A WEEK that they can't even play! Financial incompetence at its worst - makes Nick Merry look financially astute!

Last edited:
Whilst we may write things here with a tad of humour at their current plight,it is a stark warning that in real terms the game is in serious trouble as they and many others have been allowed to spend beyond their means and are still trying to do so.

One would think that their recent and current actions re finance mismanagement would immediately block any club from getting anywhere near a European League pot of gold.

Sadly the "Name" will ensure they carry on as normal.

Regarding De Jong, they have also lowered his deffered wage to £6m.

Chelsea bound surely?!

It has been rumoured that Pique has been asked to take a second pay cut so facilitate the new arrivals

It has been rumoured that Pique has been asked to take a second pay cut so facilitate the new arrivals

Supposedly Pique has offered to play for free. Don't believe it though. I'd say pay me what you've agreed but over 10 years or however long.

Their eyes really are bigger than their stomachs. Yet if you believe their President they were in for MBappe, Haaland etc this summer. :rolleyes:

I'd genuinely laugh if other teams play this to get Barca to pay some of wages of players they want to shift on.

I know all teams and owners are pretty morally bankrupt but Barcelona are so incredibly unlikeable

I’m sure they’ll be ok but I hope they end up out of business

Look into that rights deal, it’s very dodgy, they have essentially paid themselves the money through a shell company so they can go out and buy players. I imagine them and Madrid will have another go at forcing the super league through soon, desperate for the cash.

So the way I read it, they sold 25% of their La Liga media rights for the next 25 years to Sixth Street, who are a $60b US investment firm, for about 500m Euros.

I'm not sure I necessarily see it as dodgy, but it is incredibly short-term thinking from the club because they are dramatically reducing their future revenues in order to bring players in this season. They are going to have less money to play with for the next quarter century as a result of this deal (and it would of course be hilarious if their players refused to leave so that they couldn't register their new signings after all. Then they'd have given away 25% of their media rights for nothing!)

That being said, I'm not sure I quite see the benefits of this deal from Sixth Street's perspective either. Barca made about $165m last year from La Liga TV rights. They must be banking on that number going up significantly (or maybe on a SuperLeague happening) or they're hoping to leverage their TV rights ownership to buy a chunk of the club in the future when Barca dig themselves into a financial hole they can't get out of (looks inevitable, the way they're acting at the moment). Otherwise, they're roughly doubling their money over 25 years, which ain't a great rate of return for a private equity firm.

I used to like Barcelona I r actually been to see them a couple of times but since Messi left they've been an embarrassment to themselves I probably dislike real Madrid more still tho.

They've sold another 25% of their in house media production hub for £85m and only own 25% now. This money is supposed to help enable them to register their new signings but it so far hasn't. I like the new nickname from local media, FC Palanca (or Financial Levers FC according to the article) as it seems appropriate.

Barcelona looking at legal action over Griezmann with Atleti only using him after 60 minutes so they don't trigger the clause for a further £35m clause under their interpretation.

Oh and Javier Tebas is crying yet again as Real Madrid and Barcelona are no longer the biggest spenders and the PL is causing 'transfer inflation'. He obviously has selective memory loss considering how Real Madrid and Barcelona have caused 'transfer inflation' over the years considering Barca paid a reported £146m for Coutinho and Real Madrid a then world record fee of £85m for Gareth Bale. Tebas should have a baby crying as his ring tone as it matches his public announcements. Whilst the spend is ridiculous, Real Madrid and Barcelona's spend was ridiculous for years (using debt as well which is another of his complaints and Barca now selling the family silver) and others have just overtaken them at their own game:

Back
Top Bottom