Ashes Build Up

Yes, the non-spin bowling looks a bit one paced (fast medium rather then actually quick) - and if Stokes bowls it's more of the same(ish). Although I think he will be severely limited in how many overs he'll get and whether he will be at full throttle is open to debate. In the spin department, Moeen is a bit of an unknown quantity nowadays at test cricket really - and if he gets knocked out of the attack (and they *will* target him) it all looks a bit one-dimensional. Looking at the scores in the county championship at the moment, I think you'd put your money on a high scoring draw.*

* I am a terrible 'pundit'. Under no circumstances put your money on a high scoring draw.

Our bowling attack is a 40 year old, two 36 year olds, an injured Ben Stokes and Ollie Robinson, hope Robinson is prepared to put a shift in.
Still think we will this one and win the series though.

Rehan Ahmed in the squad for the second Test.
I hope that he plays.

I don’t think there is any other choice tbh. Ali won’t be match fit and Root isn’t a front line spinner. Will be interesting to see what they do about the “pace” options.

Am really quite irritated that we have apparently gone for an 'all pace' attack for the second test, with Root as 'the spinner'. It is one dimensional and a pretty damning indictment of the state of spin bowling in this country.

England XI: Crawley, Duckett, Pope, Root, Brook, Stokes, Bairstow, Broad, Robinson, Tongue, Anderson. (BBC Sport)

If Stokes is still restricted as to how many overs he can bowl, the bulk of the attack is going to be very samey.

No Mooen makes the tail longer as well.

I agree with ZTH that this could potentially be a one paced attack, although Tongue did work up a bit of speed against Ireland and it would seem he might the option for the shorter pitched stuff.

I don't think we were ever going to see Rehan Ahmed in this Test - bowling on a spin-friendly dust-bowl in Pakistan is very different to what is on offer at Lords at the present time. He's also in no particular bowling form - his first class record is 22 wickets in 11 games at 37 and I think he may have taken about 6 wickets this season. I saw him against Gloucestershire a few weeks back and he got carted around by statistically the worst county in England. It is, as ZTH also says, a savage indictment of the English spin options on offer.

A year ago Matt Parkinson was being advocated as an option by many - including here. He couldn't even get a game with Lancashire and has moved, mid-season to Kent.

Last edited:
Mmm. Wood is not fit enough to start.
Broad coming in at number 8.
The bravery of Bazball seems to have gone in this selection.

I agree with ZTH that this could potentially be a one paced attack, although Tongue did work up a bit of speed against Ireland and it would seem he might the option for the shorter pitched stuff.

I don't think we were ever going to see Rehan Ahmed in this Test - bowling on a spin-friendly dust-bowl in Pakistan is very different to what is on offer at Lords at the present time. He's also in no particular bowling form - his first class record is 22 wickets in 11 games at 37 and I think he may have taken about 6 wickets this season. I saw him against Gloucestershire a few weeks back and he got carted around by statistically the worst county in England. It is, as ZTH also says, a savage indictment of the English spin options on offer.

A year ago Matt Parkinson was being advocated as an option by many - including here. He couldn't even get a game with Lancashire and has moved, mid-season to Kent.
Should, I suppose, point out that Liam Dawson has just taken 12 wickets in the match for Kent against Middlesex, as well as scoring a big century.

Hopefully Bairstow will tighten up with the gloves.

All pace might make sense on this wicket but seems strange not to rest Anderson and bring Woakes in given the former’s age and lack of form, and the latter’s record at Lords.

I know Bazball is all about going for the win at all costs but I’d be a lot happier if we were going into this one level. It feels like a loss is basically Ashes over.

Should, I suppose, point out that Liam Dawson has just taken 12 wickets in the match for Kent against Middlesex, as well as scoring a big century.
To be fair, the way we are playing at the moment, I think I could take 10 wickets in a match against the Middx batting lineup... Another hammering today.

To be fair, the way we are playing at the moment, I think I could take 10 wickets in a match against the Middx batting lineup... Another hammering today.

More or less impressive than Notts losing to Somerset?

2nd innings, Somerset 500+ whilst Notts were 92 all out.

Oddly enough, I saw the your one bright moment of the season - I'm a member (although not a fan) at Surrey and went to the 20/20 game last week. That was some run chase and watching Curran (S) and Narine going for 50+ was some sight.

Was the protest irritating? Yes.
Did it do any real damage? No.
Do I agree with the need to keep the issue in the headlines? Yes.
Will it have convinced a single person to change their mind? No.
Will a single person have even been inspired to read up on the issue? I very much doubt it.

It's a waste of time doing things like this. They'd be better using their energy coming up with something more effective and more likely to engage people rather than just p!ssing them off a bit for five minutes.

Back
Top Bottom