Ashes Build Up

Yes but Moeen has played against that before with the Aussies, dealt with the pressure, and it isn't going to potentially affect his long term confidence. That isn't to say if we get into a good position then Rehan can't then come in so under less pressure. I suspect he'll end up sharing the spin bowling with Root. Moeen also, in theory, strengthens the batting line up.

What this situation does show that we have so little depth in the spin dept. English cricket really needs to look at this but whether the ECB can pull themselves away for the rubbish that is 'The Hundred' I doubt.

He has experienced the pressure.....it's a bit of an open question about whether he's dealt with it.

11 Ashes Tests (17 innings); 20 wickets at 64.65; economy rate almost 4; strike rate over 100.

It's a pretty horrific record - and by the way, that is substantially worse than Joe Root's Ashes record, which is 17 wickets at 41.23; economy rate 3.68; strike rate 67.

And now we plan to throw him back in after two years of playing nothing but white ball cricket? I think the Aussies will target Moeen every bit as much as they would target Rehan. And Rehan has much more talent to potentially deal with it. Does he have the temperament? We're not going to find out unless we give him a chance.

And if England are too timid to give Rehan a shot.....I might be inclined to play four quicks of varying styles, and have Root spend a lot of time over the next two weeks bowling in the nets!

He has experienced the pressure.....it's a bit of an open question about whether he's dealt with it.

11 Ashes Tests (17 innings); 20 wickets at 64.65; economy rate almost 4; strike rate over 100.

It's a pretty horrific record - and by the way, that is substantially worse than Joe Root's Ashes record, which is 17 wickets at 41.23; economy rate 3.68; strike rate 67.

And now we plan to throw him back in after two years of playing nothing but white ball cricket? I think the Aussies will target Moeen every bit as much as they would target Rehan. And Rehan has much more talent to potentially deal with it. Does he have the temperament? We're not going to find out unless we give him a chance.

And if England are too timid to give Rehan a shot.....I might be inclined to play four quicks of varying styles, and have Root spend a lot of time over the next two weeks bowling in the nets!

I wouldn't mind that.

Tbf to Moeen, he wasn't doing that with Stokes as captain. Look at the turnaround in Leach under him as opposed to Root who used Leach as a defensive bowler. I'm not saying Moeen is the answer but England have managed to wreck spinners previously by chucking them in to high pressure situations, and I'd rather they took far more care with Rehan.

Aus 422 for 7 v India.
A bit ominous.
...or its a flat pitch and the Aussies bowlers are going to spend the next 2 days flogging themselves in the sun a week before the first test...

Aus 422 for 7 v India.
A bit ominous.

The Aussies have so far had one good partnership (and a cracker it was) but the rest of their batting line wasn't that impressive. I suspect England will be looking at the plans used by the Indians so this Test may be useful.

...or its a flat pitch and the Aussies bowlers are going to spend the next 2 days flogging themselves in the sun a week before the first test...
Good point. Let's hope that you are right.
It seems daft to prepare a pitch for a bore draw for a Test Final ? There really needs to be a result one way or the other ( or at least have an exciting draw)

Good point. Let's hope that you are right.
It seems daft to prepare a pitch for a bore draw for a Test Final ? There really needs to be a result one way or the other ( or at least have an exciting draw)
As India are 30-2 in reply, it looks like my hopes aren't going to be fulfilled...

The Aussies have so far had one good partnership (and a cracker it was) but the rest of their batting line wasn't that impressive. I suspect England will be looking at the plans used by the Indians so this Test may be useful.
It is one thing having a plan ( although hopefully Anderson and Broad will be better prepared than the Indians)
Regardless, it isn't good that Smith already has a century to his name ....

It is one thing having a plan ( although hopefully Anderson and Broad will be better prepared than the Indians)
Regardless, it isn't good that Smith already has a century to his name ....

Agreed about Smith. I suspect we'll be bowling short at Head based on today unless Jimmy is swinging it around corners.

The Indians are quality at leaving the ball....

I'm not too worried about this game, the Indians are rubbish over here. They couldn't even beat the team under Root that was all over the place in the recent series.

Their bowling attack however....

I'm not too worried about this game, the Indians are rubbish over here. They couldn't even beat the team under Root that was all over the place in the recent series.

Although the Indians were winning 2-1 at the end of that summer. We just drew the series because we got to play the final game a year later under Baz!

I don't think the Aussie middle and lower order is great.....but their Top Five are dangerous, and I'd say their bowling attack is comfortably the best in the world right now.

It's going to be the ultimate test for Bazball.......

I hasn't realised that the Australia v India Test is 6 days.
That seems sensible on the basis that a result is needed really
India are fighting, but Australia are firm favourites at the moment..

Although the Indians were winning 2-1 at the end of that summer. We just drew the series because we got to play the final game a year later under Baz!

I don't think the Aussie middle and lower order is great.....but their Top Five are dangerous, and I'd say their bowling attack is comfortably the best in the world right now.

It's going to be the ultimate test for Bazball.......
Look, I'm trying to clutch at a handful of straws here and remain positive, I don't need you and your "facts" coming along and ruining it with well thought out logic and information 😑

Roll on Friday and my day in The Hollies...

I hasn't realised that the Australia v India Test is 6 days.
That seems sensible on the basis that a result is needed really
India are fighting, but Australia are firm favourites at the moment..
Hopefully it'll go the whole six days.

I didn't realise it was a six day test! When was the last time that happened?

Mind you, at the rate the wickets are(n't) falling, they'll need all of that!

Edit - or perhaps not!

Last edited:

Edit - or perhaps not!

I think the last time was the previous (inaugural) World Test Championship, between New Zealand and India in 2021.

Then they lost two full days due to rain, so the game did indeed finish on Day 6.

Not Ashes related, but 2 years ago today Middlesex managed to concede 20 runs off 2 BALLS!!!

FB_IMG_1686394346656.jpg

...and against Surrey as well. The joys of following Middx.

Edit - or perhaps not!

Day six is only available if time is lost.

β€œTo account for the possibility of weather impacting the match, the Test is scheduled to have a sixth day as insurance, although this can only be used in the event of time being lost.”

Back
Top Bottom