Ashes Build Up

That is a huge loss.
I would say that it significantly improves the Aussi odds ( especially if Stokes can't bowl)
Who will be the spinning option ( orvall seamers)?

So Stokes has approached Moeen.
That shows how bare the cupboard is ( somebody who doesn't want to play Test cricket anymore)
It's a bit of a shame that Rehan hasn't had to chance to gain more experience after his 5 for on debut

That shows how bare the cupboard is ( somebody who doesn't want to play Test cricket anymore)
It's a bit of a shame that Rehan hasn't had to chance to gain more experience after his 5 for on debut

I wonder if they'll give Rehan a chance when we are 3-0 after 3 Tests? 😁

Honestly, begging Moeen to come back seems like a surprisingly timid move for Stokes and Baz.

You picked an 18 year-old kid for a Test in Pakistan against some of the finest players of spin bowling in the world, and he essentially won it for you by ripping out their entire middle order second innings......and then you don't want to give him a shot in favour of bringing a guy out of retirement who's a great one day player, but has an Ashes Test average of 65 and a strike rate of over 100 (after 11 matches)?

Rehan is the bold move. They should stay in character and make it!

Otherwise you're in this bizarre situation of blooding the youngest player in England Test history, seeing him bowl you to victory and then not getting him another game for more than a year (you have to assume he'll go to India no matter what, but that's early 2024......)

I don't think chucking him into an Ashes series with all the pressure that goes with that at his age/inexperience is right in this instance. The Aussies would undoubtedly target him. It would be very risky for his long term career/confidence.

Moeen is the 3rd highest spin wicket taker according to somebody on Sky. I don't know how accurate this is. And he last played against Australia in Test cricket.

I don't think chucking him into an Ashes series with all the pressure that goes with that at his age/inexperience is right in this instance. The Aussies would undoubtedly target him. It would be very risky for his long term career/confidence.

Moeen is the 3rd highest spin wicket taker according to somebody on Sky. I don't know how accurate this is. And he last played against Australia in Test cricket.
I think that the Aussis will target Moeen anyway.
He has played no first class cricket for what a couple of years? A bit different to 20/20 cricket

I think that the Aussis will target Moeen anyway.
He has played no first class cricket for what a couple of years? A bit different to 20/20 cricket

Yes but Moeen has played against that before with the Aussies, dealt with the pressure, and it isn't going to potentially affect his long term confidence. That isn't to say if we get into a good position then Rehan can't then come in so under less pressure. I suspect he'll end up sharing the spin bowling with Root. Moeen also, in theory, strengthens the batting line up.

What this situation does show that we have so little depth in the spin dept. English cricket really needs to look at this but whether the ECB can pull themselves away for the rubbish that is 'The Hundred' I doubt.

I saw a bit of Leicestershire v Yorkshire in the 20/20 last night.
Only 20/20, but Rehan was excellent.
Mark Butcher and Nick Knight were if the opinion that Rehan did have the temperament to not fold of the Aussis targeted him.

As you say, Moeen at 8, improves the batting. I am still not sure that the Test team should have a player who hasn't played first class cricket for an age.

he did alright against Pakistan

Moeen Ali will be targetted by the sandpaper squad
IMO bringing him in after he's not played test cricket for ages would be like Manning signing Beano for the coming season, after all Beano would've been the all time top Scorer for the U's , bar having 3 chalked off due to Chester going bust mid season, so 'officially' he was the second highest goal scorer

Last edited:
Didn't realise that Australia's test with India is the ICC WT Final.

I thought it would be a competitive friendly, but this is a FINAL!

Aus are 76/3 Day 1 2nd session.

I am beginning to be a bit concerned about the Ashes, specifically the bowling attack.

Stokes may or may not be able to bowl, and if he does, then you'd have to think he will only have a very limited number of overs in him.
Leach out, and we have been so remiss at preparing any sort of backup that we are having to ask Moeen to come out of retirement from red ball cricket with no preparation whatsoever.

So if we aren't careful we will have three pace bowlers, a spinner who hasn't been in long form cricket for ages and Joe Root bowling little dibbly dobblers. Not great!

Back
Top Bottom