Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

If we can sign the new Jimmy Phillips then great, but we should certainly give Josh a new contract!
I was just wondering.
Who have we had better in the last 20 years at left back?
Skarz was decent, Johnson had fantastic pace but was more of a wing back / winger.

If we can sign the new Jimmy Phillips then great, but we should certainly give Josh a new contract!
He has definitely improved of late but as soon as he comes up against a decent winger, he is often exposed. I don’t think he was to blame for the first goal on Tuesday night, but he definitely had a poor game. Can we find a better option at LB? Definitely. Will we bother? Doubt it.

I was just wondering.
Who have we had better in the last 20 years at left back?
Skarz was decent, Johnson had fantastic pace but was more of a wing back / winger.
Marvin Johnson played quite a few games for us at left back and was better than Ruffels. Can’t remember any others who I would have have been better

Marvin Johnson played quite a few games for us at left back and was better than Ruffels. Can’t remember any others who I would have have been better

Going forward yes, but he always looked vulnerable when face to face with the opposition's winger. Plus he'd always be targeted as he's a winger clearly playing out of position.

He's got a lot of potential but he needs to anticipate in defence better. Gets pulled around quite a bit at the minute.

He's pretty good at the basics though so there's hope. If we coached defense as a team that would help.

Won’t be here long, bet he’s got many suitors in the championship and probably even Premier League. Try and find a better left footed centre back in league who can bring the ball 50 yards and cause problems.

Yes he has his flaws but he’s 22 playing his first season in league one. If he can iron out the silly fouls (like 90% of the team) and work on his positioning to not get pulled out of his position he’ll go right to the top.

Even if he is "average", he has gone from a good Conference CB to his current standing in half a season (from his debut). There is no reason to suggest that he won't get better
The coaches have done really well. He has improved massively from the start of the season.
8 clean sheets in the past 15 league games is pretty impressive with such a young back 5 including Atkinson.

The belated decent keeper introduction helped.
Absolutely. Stevens has been excellent.
Stevens and Atkinson are 22 and Moore 23. I am not sure whether we have ever had such a young trio?
Short and Mous have done really well in helping to develop such an inexperienced and young defence

Moore seems older than 23. Maturing nicely
This. For all the plaudits Atkinson is (rightfully) getting, Moore has gone under the radar a bit. He's been outstanding since the start of the winning run - can't remember him faulting him at all recently.

Probably above average for comfort on the ball (again, Atkinson means he's overlooked) + has developed his long pass to the left wing well. His defensive side of the game is what stands out though, I'd even go as far as saying he's our most important player at the moment.

Absolutely. Stevens has been excellent.
Stevens and Atkinson are 22 and Moore 23. I am not sure whether we have ever had such a young trio?
Short and Mous have done really well in helping to develop such an inexperienced and young defence
If only we could keep them for 2/3 seasons ...what a base to take us into the Championship!

Back
Top Bottom