Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

At the risk of a barrage of abuse, I think a reality check, and a bit of perspective is needed.

Atkinson is GOOD, potentially VERY GOOD. He passes the ball out of defence very well, and although he's still got a lot of improvement to make with his defending and positioning at times, he's progressing nicely in his first season as a professional footballer, and has formed a good partnership with Moore, and I'm very happy he's with us.

But he's still VERY naive and raw, which is evident every time he goes on one of his kamikaze runs, as he just bombs off, leaving a gaping hole behind him, and on a number of occasions, has very nearly been tackled, just about managing to dump the ball to the nearest teammate, who then is put under pressure not to lose it while Atkinson is so far out of position, which is exactly what happened when Henry lost the ball, and it cost us a goal, but it was just as much Atkinson's fault for putting Henry under such pressure, whilst leaving a gaping hole behind him.

LeftSideBoy say's he's never seen any CB play like him, at any level, well that's because a CB cannot play like that at professional level, and keep getting away with.
It looks good when it works, but it's fraught with risk, it's too gung ho, and might've been ok at non league level, where he could get away with it, but the more he plays at this level, let alone higher, teams will suss him out, and start laying traps.

For me, he's got a long way to go to be considered as good as Dickie, who times his runs a lot better, knows when to bring the ball out of defence, and when not to, and to pass it out instead, is a lot more intelligent and composed, reads the game brilliantly, and is quicker, and for me, is already better than most of the CB in the premiership.

For Atkinson to even be considered as good as the likes of Dickie or Elliott, he needs to stay here for another couple of seasons, in order to develop, where he can learn from the defensive mistakes that he WILL make, and learn to time and control his runs forward better, with more intelligence.

But like I say, he's developing very nicely, and has already made big improvements since the start of the season, and if he can continue improving at that rate, then we've got an excellent prospect on our hands!

At the risk of a barrage of abuse, I think a reality check, and a bit of perspective is needed.

Atkinson is GOOD, potentially VERY GOOD. He passes the ball out of defence very well, and although he's still got a lot of improvement to make with his defending and positioning at times, he's progressing nicely in his first season as a professional footballer, and has formed a good partnership with Moore, and I'm very happy he's with us.

But he's still VERY naive and raw, which is evident every time he goes on one of his kamikaze runs, as he just bombs off, leaving a gaping hole behind him, and on a number of occasions, has very nearly been tackled, just about managing to dump the ball to the nearest teammate, who then is put under pressure not to lose it while Atkinson is so far out of position, which is exactly what happened when Henry lost the ball, and it cost us a goal, but it was just as much Atkinson's fault for putting Henry under such pressure, whilst leaving a gaping hole behind him.

LeftSideBoy say's he's never seen any CB play like him, at any level, well that's because a CB cannot play like that at professional level, and keep getting away with.
It looks good when it works, but it's fraught with risk, it's too gung ho, and might've been ok at non league level, where he could get away with it, but the more he plays at this level, let alone higher, teams will suss him out, and start laying traps.

For me, he's got a long way to go to be considered as good as Dickie, who times his runs a lot better, knows when to bring the ball out of defence, and when not to, and to pass it out instead, is a lot more intelligent and composed, reads the game brilliantly, and is quicker, and for me, is already better than most of the CB in the premiership.

For Atkinson to even be considered as good as the likes of Dickie or Elliott, he needs to stay here for another couple of seasons, in order to develop, where he can learn from the defensive mistakes that he WILL make, and learn to time and control his runs forward better, with more intelligence.

But like I say, he's developing very nicely, and has already made big improvements since the start of the season, and if he can continue improving at that rate, then we've got an excellent prospect on our hands!
Never mind "nearly been tackled"...he gets dumped on his a**e once a game minimum (including against Tranmere) because he sometimes shows too much of the ball.

He's still brill though...

Also centre backs are the must have players atm. Rob has all the attributes to reach the top good on the ground and in the air. Players like him are going to be much in demand after brexit which will be affecting foreign imports I think.

Absolutely nothing to do with it..it was a well struck shot with power, nobody was stopping it.
What not even the marvellous Josh Rufells who clearly got done and didn’t make a last minute challenge, our defenders need to UP THEIR GAME and start putting their bodies on the line, watch it again and you will see what I mean, we need to improve if we going into the top 4, it’s as simple as that, hope Robinson sees this.....

I think Robbos comments today re Tuesdays game confirm who will go in the summer. Can't see Hall anytime beyond this season with us. Big questions in my opinion on Hanson and Dan, and maybe Henry.
Just my opinion....
Add Eastwood, Kelly and even possibly Skyes to that list, I’d even question Ruffells on recent displays, we need to keep on improving if we are to progress.

Atkinson is GOOD, potentially VERY GOOD.
For me, he's got a long way to go to be considered as good as Dickie, who times his runs a lot better, knows when to bring the ball out of defence, and when not to, and to pass it out instead, is a lot more intelligent and composed, reads the game brilliantly, and is quicker, and for me, is already better than most of the CB in the prepremiership
I agree that he has a lot to learn. The way that he was turned for the Wigan goal was far too easy.
With regard to his runs, I have been surprised how he has generally avoided being caught out. He gives us an attacking option often drawing fouls and offloading to an Oxford player high up the pitch.
Finally I don't agree that Dickie is quicker. A terrific player but it was mentioned a few times last season that his weakness was that he lacked pace. Atkinson has shown some decent pace in the past few games.

What not even the marvellous Josh Rufells who clearly got done and didn’t make a last minute challenge, our defenders need to UP THEIR GAME and start putting their bodies on the line, watch it again and you will see what I mean, we need to improve if we going into the top 4, it’s as simple as that, hope Robinson sees this.....
I was talking about the comment re Eastwood

You’re a harsh judge. Let’s hope Robinson listens to your advice eh

Very few centre backs make forward runs with the skill that Atkinson does, and it's great to see. But, I do wonder how good a defender we would be saying he is if he didn't make these forays. To me in his main job of defending he is a competent, but not outstanding, CB. He is young and inexperienced, so if he improves in his defensive play and keeps up with the attacking side then he will be a great player.

• React
Reactions: m
Handball was the main reason he got 'done ' otherwise he wouldn't have . And to dive in and give a free kick away when it would take an amazing shot to beat Easty( it was so well struck) . If Atkinson would have been on the first header would not have been lost . Ruffles had a poor first half but let's not go overboard

Very few centre backs make forward runs with the skill that Atkinson does, and it's great to see. But, I do wonder how good a defender we would be saying he is if he didn't make these forays. To me in his main job of defending he is a competent, but not outstanding, CB. He is young and inexperienced, so if he improves in his defensive play and keeps up with the attacking side then he will be a great player.
Surely that applies to every player in all positions, The whole point is that he stands out because he does do things not seen by a cb. You mention his age but then surely if you feel that has any bearing that makes his performance even more outstanding does it not?

Many on here didn't want him starting regular using age and being raw as some reasoning but he has shown what an outstanding talent he is and has a big future.

Handball was the main reason he got 'done ' otherwise he wouldn't have . And to dive in and give a free kick away when it would take an amazing shot to beat Easty( it was so well struck) . If Atkinson would have been on the first header would not have been lost . Ruffles had a poor first half but let's not go overboard
Not sure i agree fully with that, handball aside i wouldn't say Josh was in control of the situation, from memory was he not side on (ish) whilst their fella was always facing towards our goal?

That said i don't think we can apportion blame for what was a wonderful goal

Surely that applies to every player in all positions, The whole point is that he stands out because he does do things not seen by a cb. You mention his age but then surely if you feel that has any bearing that makes his performance even more outstanding does it not?

Many on here didn't want him starting regular using age and being raw as some reasoning but he has shown what an outstanding talent he is and has a big future.

I agree, he does stand out because he makes those forward runs. No issue with his age in any respect.
My main point was that defensively (his main job), he is no more than average for League one, at present. Don't you think?

Not sure i agree fully with that, handball aside i wouldn't say Josh was in control of the situation, from memory was he not side on (ish) whilst their fella was always facing towards our goal?

That said i don't think we can apportion blame for what was a wonderful goal
The 2nd ball was loose , without his hand guiding it completely the opposite direction then it would have been scrappily dealt with . Not a good half from Ruffles and a great strike .

And it came from the first header being lost , Atkinson wouldn't have done and no defender deals easily with a loose bouncing ball .

I agree, he does stand out because he makes those forward runs. No issue with his age in any respect.
My main point was that defensively (his main job), he is no more than average for League one, at present. Don't you think?
Well as someone who mentioned what a talent he is from virtual the moment he entered the building (playing obviously) then no i do not agree.

An Average League 1 player would not have a big future whereas Rob Atkinson most certainly does.

Average for league one!? 😅 Have you even bothered to look at his stats mate? His tackles won / headers won and interception stats are a joke! Ludicrous comment..

Average for league one!? [emoji28] Have you even bothered to look at his stats mate? His tackles won / headers won and interception stats are a joke! Ludicrous comment..
Are they? I must be mistaken then. I was just basing it on what I watched where I've seen him make quite a few mistakes and lose quite a few headers in the box. I'll pay closer attention in future. [emoji846]

I disagree.

Completely forgetting Atkinson’s forward runs, putting them aside altogether.

I’ve watched every game this season. I’ve seen Rob Atkinson have two poor games for memory - Lincoln away, and Doncaster away. There may be more, but those stand out as they were so rare/unexpected - usually he’s been solid, more than solid in fact, winning multiple tackles, including some great last ditch ones. He’s an excellent one on one defender, often coming away with the ball.

I’d argue that even if he never made one single forwards run, you’d consider him an above average L1 centre back, and one you’d be happy to have in a promotion chasing side.

Back
Top Bottom