International News Afghanistan

Yes I've known people who campaigned in elections, who only gradually got to know the candidate, and were variously impressed or not impressed. I think Layla Moran was highly regarded by her team.
Not regarded highly by a lot in Oxfordshire

Just the sort of dismissive comment and pay off I'd expect. These are the sorts of things we learn through life, we don't all have your gift of foresight.

We were actually set up to campaign before we met the candidate - as he was working his way through the party machinery we didn't really know what sort of individual we would end up with. Policy wise we seemed to be on the same page and initially all seemed OK, it was only as things progressed that the fuller picture emerged. Obviously in your life full of certainty you'd have called it straight away.

Thanks for the explanation, which I guess makes sense and I was not aware necessarily of the mechanics of how this can all work.

However, this does sort of make it worse if I am honest, campaigning for a candidate you actually know nothing about and using the art of rhetoric ?

But then again, this is precisely why I have never got involved in politics.

It also certainly explains why we have this circus of politicIan’s who can’t actually do their job?

• React
Reactions: Ian
Not regarded highly by a lot in Oxfordshire
She's sitting MP in Oxford West constituency - she held the seat in the last election, (Bojo's 'get Brexit done' single slogan election), she also stood in the post (last) election Libdem leadership election
so, therefore she appealed to more people in Oxford West, than the individual candidates in the other parties, in at least 2 general elections did @bazzer9461 :sneaky:

She's sitting MP in Oxford West constituency - she held the seat in the last election, (Bojo's 'get Brexit done' single slogan election), she also stood in the post (last) election Libdem leadership election
so, therefore she appealed to more people in Oxford West, than the individual candidates in the other parties, in at least 2 general elections did @bazzer9461 :sneaky:
I was just referring to the campaign team. She can come over as a bit 'me me me' but apparently was hard working and nice and appreciative of their efforts!

Thanks for the explanation, which I guess makes sense and I was not aware necessarily of the mechanics of how this can all work.

However, this does sort of make it worse if I am honest, campaigning for a candidate you actually know nothing about and using the art of rhetoric ?

But then again, this is precisely why I have never got involved in politics.

It also certainly explains why we have this circus of politicIan’s who can’t actually do their job?
Umm, no...we campaigned on national policy, not rhetoric or personal promises and he happened to be the 'frontman' in our constituency. Localised issues mattered a lot less in the European elections, which is how those UKIP clowns managed to get elected some years later. A lesson hard learnt and a candidate firmly rejected by the Tory majority in Surrey at that time, well at least the less than 30% who voted.

Should have got the job & yes I did.

Unfortunately, he didn`t have the "weight" of the parliamentary folk behind him.

Missed a trick there.
I sit on a different part of the political spectrum but he seems like a bright, intelligent bloke with a worldview based on experience. I notice Johnny Mercer, another MP and ex Army Officer expressing his frustrations this week, describing the leadership management style as 's**t'.

Should have got the job & yes I did.

Unfortunately, he didn`t have the "weight" of the parliamentary folk behind him.

Missed a trick there.
You're going to have to stop agreeing with me or this will never get off the ground....

• @Essexyellows and @QR to host official club phone-in before the game to discuss all football and current affairs topics.

You're going to have to stop agreeing with me or this will never get off the ground....

• @Essexyellows and @QR to host official club phone-in before the game to discuss all football and current affairs topics.
Now that would be a dynamite presenting duo on Gammon Boomer News [emoji6](does it still exist by the way?)[emoji1787]

More highly regarded than the last Tory.
Neither have covered themselves in the sort of liking they would like as many MP, she always seems to jump on the bandwagon and in the case of Afghanistan she would rather our troops stay there and help without thinking doing so the Taliban would over come a small force as that is what we would be in Afghanistan as the only military force, The ANA seem to have finished.

Now that would be a dynamite presenting duo on Gammon Boomer News [emoji6](does it still exist by the way?)[emoji1787]
I'd check that with Wandering Yellow - he was very enthusiastic prior to its launch!

Last time I looked, it would have been cheaper to read the 'news' individually to the people tuning in, rather than actually broadcasting.

Brize Norton runway passes quite near behind my house, counted 10 aircraft taking off in about 20 mins just after midnight so pretty obvious where they were going, so at least we are making a massive effort

You ought to read the comments in the online Oxford fail when she has something to say 😊

Erm I don't think the comments in the Oxford Mail are representative of wider society, or of anyone really!
Oh, I don't know - the football comments are always entertaining, if not based on any reality or seemingly even watching the games in most case.

I tend to read the comments over the stories - there's a lot of batshit mental people attracted to those pages!

Rory Stewart would’ve been PM if he hadn’t been so open about saying how stupid an idea he thought Brexit was, and how it needed to go back to the people. His own integrity and honesty regarding his beliefs cost him. How sad that somebody such as him - intelligent, honourable and informed - can’t actually get anywhere because too much of the voting public would rather be lied to by crooks and conmen, who are merely pretending to be something as ‘harmless’ as unqualified idiots, when in reality they’re pillaging and raping the country while wrapping themselves in its flag. Stewart’s desire to see his country not commit an act of self-harm rendered him unsuitable to run it, apparently. Depressing.

I would’ve likely voted for the Conservative party for the first time in my life had Stewart been in charge, but the parliamentary system in this country means that they’re sorted for power regardless, so it doesn’t matter. They don’t need to worry about governing with fairness and integrity, or even in a legal manner for the matter, nor do they need to think about the lives and futures, let alone opinions of plebs like me, when they can set fire to everything and still keep the keys. The majority is there either way; what it stands for and represents is not the concern of those at the controls.

The handling of the crisis in Afghanistan, not just over the last week or two but in the months and years ahead, will provide us normal folk with yet more evidence of how this mob are unfit for purpose. Not because of the colour of their rosettes or the party name that they stand behind, but because as individuals and as politicians they are completely and utterly inept, and have no right to be anywhere near the controls at any time in history, let alone one as critical and turbulent as this. They’re nothing more than a bunch of charlatans and traitors, who have ended up running the show because they were the most vile and ruthlessly, shamefully aggressive and self-serving when it came to capitalising on a single issue, via a broken and easily manipulated system.

Sorry, Rory, but there is no place for you or your kind. Even when the fate of an entire nation, the direction of which could seriously affect the safety of the entire free world in the decades to come, now hangs in the balance. Your kind aren’t welcome. We wanted the silly man with the funny name and the giggly words, and all the louts he classed as his chums, to be in charge of absolutely everything relating to the safety and prosperity of the United Kingdom, across any and all outcomes expected or otherwise. They are the true will of the people. You are as irrelevant as the people of Afghanistan, whose names we will never know and whose futures we need never ponder. You, like them, are nothing.

Enjoy the weekend, folks x

Rory Stewart would’ve been PM if he hadn’t been so open about saying how stupid an idea he thought Brexit was, and how it needed to go back to the people. His own integrity and honesty regarding his beliefs cost him. How sad that somebody such as him - intelligent, honourable and informed - can’t actually get anywhere because too much of the voting public would rather be lied to by crooks and conmen, who are merely pretending to be something as ‘harmless’ as unqualified idiots, when in reality they’re pillaging and raping the country while wrapping themselves in its flag. Stewart’s desire to see his country not commit an act of self-harm rendered him unsuitable to run it, apparently. Depressing.

I would’ve likely voted for the Conservative party for the first time in my life had Stewart been in charge, but the parliamentary system in this country means that they’re sorted for power regardless, so it doesn’t matter. They don’t need to worry about governing with fairness and integrity, or even in a legal manner for the matter, nor do they need to think about the lives and futures, let alone opinions of plebs like me, when they can set fire to everything and still keep the keys. The majority is there either way; what it stands for and represents is not the concern of those at the controls.

The handling of the crisis in Afghanistan, not just over the last week or two but in the months and years ahead, will provide us normal folk with yet more evidence of how this mob are unfit for purpose. Not because of the colour of their rosettes or the party name that they stand behind, but because as individuals and as politicians they are completely and utterly inept, and have no right to be anywhere near the controls at any time in history, let alone one as critical and turbulent as this. They’re nothing more than a bunch of charlatans and traitors, who have ended up running the show because they were the most vile and ruthlessly, shamefully aggressive and self-serving when it came to capitalising on a single issue, via a broken and easily manipulated system.

Sorry, Rory, but there is no place for you or your kind. Even when the fate of an entire nation, the direction of which could seriously affect the safety of the entire free world in the decades to come, now hangs in the balance. Your kind aren’t welcome. We wanted the silly man with the funny name and the giggly words, and all the louts he classed as his chums, to be in charge of absolutely everything relating to the safety and prosperity of the United Kingdom, across any and all outcomes expected or otherwise. They are the true will of the people. You are as irrelevant as the people of Afghanistan, whose names we will never know and whose futures we need never ponder. You, like them, are nothing.

Enjoy the weekend, folks x
spot on .... though I'd tentatively add, Rory Stewart resembling a thunderbirds puppet didn't help either

Back
Top Bottom