FA Cup AFCBournmouth v Borehamwood SHOCK!

When the Championship eventually becomes the PL2 the NL will become the third division of the EFL.
Will that ever happen though? It would need the current PL chairmen to vote for it, and at the same time spread the TV money thinner to accommodate the new teams.... And if there is one thing club chairmen will never do its vote for less money.

Will that ever happen though? It would need the current PL chairmen to vote for it, and at the same time spread the TV money thinner to accommodate the new teams.... And if there is one thing club chairmen will never do its vote for less money.
Although I seem to remember when David Gold and Karen Brady were at Birmingham, Brady was advocating a PL2 as she said Birmingham wee a premiership side?😂 but if the PL2 was brought in it could be a closed shop no relegation to the EFL likewise non promotion from the EFL. Stupid tart

Although I seem to remember when David Gold and Karen Brady were at Birmingham, Brady was advocating a PL2 as she said Birmingham wee a premiership side?😂 but if the PL2 was brought in it could be a closed shop no relegation to the EFL likewise non promotion from the EFL. Stupid tart
Bazzer I don't think you can say that thrase nowadays.its offensive to some people 😏😏

I feel sorry for the fans of those clubs, because I remember what it's like. But I don't want them to be back in the league because they can pull 3000 more punters in than Accrington, or Harrogate, or even Stevenage.

Well, I have to say I do.

Partly due to pure footballing utilitarianism.....assuming they haven't previously done something to P**s me off, I would rather 5,000 lower league football fans were happy than 2,000.

And partly for purely selfish reasons - because football is more fun to watch, home or away, when there's a good number of supporters from both sides creating an atmosphere.
It was distinctly more enjoyable (not to mention profitable for the club) watching the game on Saturday with Pompey packing out the away end and making a racket than it was hearing a pin drop amongst the Stevenage 86!

Which is not to say that I want the rules changed, or that clubs like Boreham Wood shouldn't be allowed into the league. I don't, and they should.
I'm just hoping that Chesterfield and Stockport pip them to promotion.

I`m ridiculously happy that Southend are non-league.

I text old friends at least monthly to remind them.

Revenge is a dish best served cold................ :) :)

Well, I have to say I do.

Partly due to pure footballing utilitarianism.....assuming they haven't previously done something to P**s me off, I would rather 5,000 lower league football fans were happy than 2,000.

And partly for purely selfish reasons - because football is more fun to watch, home or away, when there's a good number of supporters from both sides creating an atmosphere.
It was distinctly more enjoyable (not to mention profitable for the club) watching the game on Saturday with Pompey packing out the away end and making a racket than it was hearing a pin drop amongst the Stevenage 86!

Which is not to say that I want the rules changed, or that clubs like Boreham Wood shouldn't be allowed into the league. I don't, and they should.
I'm just hoping that Chesterfield and Stockport pip them to promotion.
So you'll be wanting Sunderland to go up instead of us then, get that big club back in the Championship ahead of the small provincial club....

Yeah, I know of course you don't want that 😂, and what you say is all fair comment. Personally, I like to see the underdog punching above their weight whilst the big boys struggle. It's what makes football so special. Seeing the movement up and down the pyramid, playing lots of different teams rather than the same few every season.

It would need the current PL chairmen to vote for it, and at the same time spread the TV money thinner to accommodate the new teams
The PL brand would be worth even more money than it already is. The Championship TV deal is already sizeable and that would then be inflated fivefold were it to adopt the PL name. It would create more wealth than ever. Just like when the First Division was torn away 30 years ago.

It is widely accepted within football and the EFL itself that the call will come eventually.

So you'll be wanting Sunderland to go up instead of us then, get that big club back in the Championship ahead of the small provincial club....

Yeah, I know of course you don't want that 😂, and what you say is all fair comment. Personally, I like to see the underdog punching above their weight whilst the big boys struggle. It's what makes football so special. Seeing the movement up and down the pyramid, playing lots of different teams rather than the same few every season.
Summed up very well Steve. I like to see the true underdog giving it a go, particularly if the club is well run and sustainable. Chesterfield and Wrexham throwing around £250/£300k on transfers and paying £5k a week - great for the players but looks like a s**t or bust ploy. Sutton fully deserved their place in the league - they even had to change their business model due to the loss of the 4G pitch, but like Boreham Wood they have a community based model, even if the community doesn't attend the actual games in huge numbers! Admittedly, I could live without the likes of Salford, Fleetwood and Forest Green.

I can see the point Tony is making regarding crowds, but all of those clubs are where they deserve to be, until they can at last get the football side right. A lesson Sunderland in particular don't seem any closer to learning!

Nah, you see then the ultilitarianism and the selfishness come into conflict......and the selfishness tends to win out. 🤪
So even if it wasn't us but, say, a choice between Sunderland or Rotherham going up - I'd choose the Millers because it's fun to see Oxford play in front of 30k fans in a huge 50K all seater stadium. Even if that's not bringing the most joy to the most football fans!

But I would note that if I was talking to, say, a Forest fan. And they told me that they would rather Sunderland won the playoffs than Oxford because they would rather go to an away game at the Stadium of Light that our three sided breeze block.......I would understand where they were coming from!

And I'm all for some underdogs punching above their weight.....but I feel like over the past decade or so, the pendulum has swung so far. So many solid traditional clubs have screwed up their finances to the extent that they've plumeted down the leagues, whilst simultaneously so many tiny traditionally non-league clubs have either been superbly managed on-and-off the field (e.g. Burton, Morecambe, Sutton) or found a sugar daddy (e.g. Forest Green, Fleetwood, Salford), that we're now at the point where there's almost more underdogs in League Two than there are big boys, and the football league/non-league divide doesn't really mean anything any more [it's stat cherry-picking in the extreme, but worth pointing out that the 6th biggest club in the Conference (Sarfend) has brought in more fans than the 6th biggest club in League Two (Hartlepool) has this season]. It's kind of hard to justify only having one automatic promotion spot in the Conference when the teams competing to come up are basically indistinguishable from the clubs trying desperately not to lose their football league status.

Nah, you see then the ultilitarianism and the selfishness come into conflict......and the selfishness tends to win out. 🤪
So even if it wasn't us but, say, a choice between Sunderland or Rotherham going up - I'd choose the Millers because it's fun to see Oxford play in front of 30k fans in a huge 50K all seater stadium. Even if that's not bringing the most joy to the most football fans!

But I would note that if I was talking to, say, a Forest fan. And they told me that they would rather Sunderland won the playoffs than Oxford because they would rather go to an away game at the Stadium of Light that our three sided breeze block.......I would understand where they were coming from!

And I'm all for some underdogs punching above their weight.....but I feel like over the past decade or so, the pendulum has swung so far. So many solid traditional clubs have screwed up their finances to the extent that they've plumeted down the leagues, whilst simultaneously so many tiny traditionally non-league clubs have either been superbly managed on-and-off the field (e.g. Burton, Morecambe, Sutton) or found a sugar daddy (e.g. Forest Green, Fleetwood, Salford), that we're now at the point where there's almost more underdogs in League Two than there are big boys, and the football league/non-league divide doesn't really mean anything any more [it's stat cherry-picking in the extreme, but worth pointing out that the 6th biggest club in the Conference (Sarfend) has brought in more fans than the 6th biggest club in League Two (Hartlepool) has this season]. It's kind of hard to justify only having one automatic promotion spot in the Conference when the teams competing to come up are basically indistinguishable from the clubs trying desperately not to lose their football league status.
Yeah they need to make promotion from the conference easier, it’s no longer such a disaster to get relegated into it

Yeah they need to make promotion from the conference easier, it’s no longer such a disaster to get relegated into it
I'd agree with that, it would let more of those little clubs up disruption the old order 😁

I'd agree with that, it would let more of those little clubs up disruption the old order 😁
No it would let proper clubs back! Hopefully some of these flatpack wonders will fall back down. I don’t mind underdogs but I can’t see the point in manufactured clubs like Salford and Fleetwood

Just like all big clubs needed to spend money to firstly become big clubs so I never get the outrage about man City or Chelsea surely most of these tiny clubs need to have a bit of success bought for them to entice a fan base?

The best thing about the English football leagues system is that it’s so competitive, if you f**k up you get punished and drop until you get your house in order, then you start the climb back.

Most of the really small clubs eventually drop back down anyway, if you can’t build a fan base then the rich owner gets bored or dies and that’s that.

Just like all big clubs needed to spend money to firstly become big clubs so I never get the outrage about man City or Chelsea surely most of these tiny clubs need to have a bit of success bought for them to entice a fan base?

The best thing about the English football leagues system is that it’s so competitive, if you f**k up you get punished and drop until you get your house in order, then you start the climb back.

Most of the really small clubs eventually drop back down anyway, if you can’t build a fan base then the rich owner gets bored or dies and that’s that.
AFC Bournemouth has to be testament to that, they have to be the smallest club ever to reach the Premiership, even Swindon in their solidarity one season in the top flight in the 90,s have a bigger fan base.

Having not read the whole thread I will add my opinion…
Next season the National league could look a lot different. They are bringing in financial fair play so you have teams like Wrexham and Stockport paying league 1 wages to get up this season to avoid it. Once they bring it in then teams like Boreham wood and a like will struggle to get away with paying the wages they do.
A lot of teams have gone s**t or bust this season before it comes in (Wrexham being the main example).

Having not read the whole thread I will add my opinion…
Next season the National league could look a lot different. They are bringing in financial fair play so you have teams like Wrexham and Stockport paying league 1 wages to get up this season to avoid it. Once they bring it in then teams like Boreham wood and a like will struggle to get away with paying the wages they do.
A lot of teams have gone s**t or bust this season before it comes in (Wrexham being the main example).

I suggest you read up on Boreham Wood from the links etc in recent posts on this thread. They have income from outside of gate receipts/matchday income such as Arsenal Ladies and sports facilities out for hire/coaching programmes etc.