FA Cup AFCBournmouth v Borehamwood SHOCK!

Sarge

God like member
And if Forest outfoxing the foxes in the East midland fa cup clash wasn't shock enough....

AFC Bournemouth got beaten at home in what must be the shock result of the 4th round, and stinging Watford into the 2nd best team in Herts position ( albeit just for today) too

Well done Boreham Wood

And if Forest outfoxing the foxes in the East midland fa cup clash wasn't shock enough....

AFC Bournemouth got beaten at home in what must be the shock result of the 4th round, and stinging Watford into the 2nd best team in Herts position ( albeit just for today) too

Well done Boreham Wood

Tyrone Marsh played most of game (come through our youth set up). Also I see Nile Ranger come on for them near the end.

Whilst undoubtedly a shock, Boreham Wood have some pretty hefty money behind them. They’ve come close to getting into the League a few times over the last few seasons on paltry attendances too. Win their games in hand and they’ll go top of the NL.

This is not a Hereford v Newcastle or Sutton v Coventry style upset of old. It’s similar to when Crawley went on their cup run a decade ago. Those in the know knew it wasn’t quite the seismic shock the media will play it to be.

Whilst undoubtedly a shock, Boreham Wood have some pretty hefty money behind them. They’ve come close to getting into the League a few times over the last few seasons on paltry attendances too. Win their games in hand and they’ll go top of the NL.

This is not a Hereford v Newcastle or Sutton v Coventry style upset of old. It’s similar to when Crawley went on their cup run a decade ago. Those in the know knew it wasn’t quite the seismic shock the media will play it to be.

Their average attendance this season is 891 which is the worst in the division🙄 bank rolled abit like Fleetwood. I'm happy they won, but I would rather they stay down in non league. So many big clubs down in the national league who should be in league 2 or higher. Wrexham averaging 8k this season ,Notts County over 6.5k and Stockport, Southend, Grimsby and Chesterfield all averaging over 5k. We need them teams back in the league as currently league 2 has become a bit poor compared to previous years.

Their average attendance this season is 891 which is the worst in the division🙄 bank rolled abit like Fleetwood. I'm happy they won, but I would rather they stay down in non league. So many big clubs down in the national league who should be in league 2 or higher. Wrexham averaging 8k this season ,Notts County over 6.5k and Stockport, Southend, Grimsby and Chesterfield all averaging over 5k. We need them teams back in the league as currently league 2 has become a bit poor compared to previous years.

That’s more or less doubled since I popped along for game up there when I lived a bit more local to them!

How they become a sustainable side in the FL is beyond me. It’ll be the usual run to League 1 and then the money will run out. Rushden & Diamonds are a prime example of what happens next …

Crowds don't make you better on the pitch, those clubs are down there because they deserve to be. Much like some striped club in our division.

Crowds don't make you better on the pitch, those clubs are down there because they deserve to be. Much like some striped club in our division.

Yes I get that. But I'm not sure the league having more then a couple of clubs like Fleetwood is a good thing. League 2 average attendances this year 7 teams getting less than 3k. It will end badly at some point.

Fantastic match, credit to Boreham Wood for holding out. Thought Bournemouth were going to nick one back.

I think one of the commentators summed it up nicely the top league in NL really is division 5 and like other posters have said some of the attendance figures for that league it really should be division 5 imo with NL north / south being the top leagues in NL

I think one of the commentators summed it up nicely the top league in NL really is division 5 and like other posters have said some of the attendance figures for that league it really should be division 5 imo with NL north / south being the top leagues in NL

The EFL struggle to administer for 72 clubs. They’re not going to take on another 24 any time soon, despite your correct observations that the NL is a competitive and well supported division.

If they do merge it with the EFL, we could argue that we were never relegated from the League though … 👀

That’s more or less doubled since I popped along for game up there when I lived a bit more local to them!

How they become a sustainable side in the FL is beyond me. It’ll be the usual run to League 1 and then the money will run out. Rushden & Diamonds are a prime example of what happens next …

The owner has invested in significant training/sports facilities for hiring out and coaching programmes* which have raised considerable funds each season (bar lockdowns). They also get a decent sum from Arsenal Ladies as they use their stadium (the new end stand is called the North Bank). I don't think they are bankrolled any more, probably less, than many, and definitely less than teams such as Wrexham (they've spent over £1m on transfer fees alone if reports are accurate), Stockport and Chesterfield (who spent around £250m for Tshimanga from Boreham Wood).

Whether they are profitable I don't know but the owner has built long term income streams for the club and they aren't a R&D as far as I can see.

*When lower down the pyramid, players would also be coaches in these programmes enabling the players to be a sort of full time.

It's not a matter of saying they don't deserve to be where they are.

But I just think a lot of people prefer to watch games at clubs that can bring in bigger crowds and create more atmosphere, and play in decent-sized traditional grounds.

Whilst there was a novelty factor in going to games at places like Salisbury and Chelmsford, and comfortably outnumbering the home fans - having done that, I'd now rather watch a game in front of a decent-sized crowd at Meadow Lane or Roots Hall. Would rather garden sheds be saved for first round FA Cup draws.

Which is why I hope some of those BELTs (as the non-league fans used to call us.....'Bitter Ex-League Teams') can get their act together and get back into the league, and replace some of these tiny clubs that are now all over the lower leagues (although this year is not looking good in that regard. Scunthorpe & Oldham are both in big trouble).

I hope the irony of this was not lost on Bournemouth.

Thought it was a heroic performance. Bournemouth absolutely pummelled them in last 20 ; it was even more one sided than us at Wigan last Tuesday. 😉

It's not a matter of saying they don't deserve to be where they are.

But I just think a lot of people prefer to watch games at clubs that can bring in bigger crowds and create more atmosphere, and play in decent-sized traditional grounds.

Whilst there was a novelty factor in going to games at places like Salisbury and Chelmsford, and comfortably outnumbering the home fans - having done that, I'd now rather watch a game in front of a decent-sized crowd at Meadow Lane or Roots Hall. Would rather garden sheds be saved for first round FA Cup draws.

Which is why I hope some of those BELTs (as the non-league fans used to call us.....'Bitter Ex-League Teams') can get their act together and get back into the league, and replace some of these tiny clubs that are now all over the lower leagues (although this year is not looking good in that regard. Scunthorpe & Oldham are both in big trouble).
Yeah I get all that, but I'm not sure we can on one hand laugh at Sunderland and Wednesday being in League One yet want some of the classical old teams to not be in the conference because they can pull in thousands. The whole point of a football pyramid is you end up where you deserve to be because of results on the pitch, not because of some misguided 'bigness'.

I feel sorry for the fans of those clubs, because I remember what it's like. But I don't want them to be back in the league because they can pull 3000 more punters in than Accrington, or Harrogate, or even Stevenage.

Sadly for the status of the F A Cup Bournemouth wont care they lost, it's the millions in the next pyramid up they're interested in,