A New World Class Community Stadium For The U’s

Agree Essex - staying & playing where we are is obvious. In fact it is a test of the "deep pocket" boys we now have on the board. Do they want a successful football team, first & foremost,or do they really want a glitzy Mall that just happens to have a soccer pitch attached? Most of the architectural/cosmetic improvements that are (unquestionably) needed at the Kassam will cost 'peanuts' compared to a new location. I mean, just look at it - ready made Conference/Seminar capacity, Hotels adjacent & a new rail station nearby likely - compared to many years of Planning "grizzles", Appeals, Consultant's fees - no brainer!!!

Agree Essex - staying & playing where we are is obvious. In fact it is a test of the "deep pocket" boys we now have on the board. Do they want a successful football team, first & foremost,or do they really want a glitzy Mall that just happens to have a soccer pitch attached? Most of the architectural/cosmetic improvements that are (unquestionably) needed at the Kassam will cost 'peanuts' compared to a new location. I mean, just look at it - ready made Conference/Seminar capacity, Hotels adjacent & a new rail station nearby likely - compared to many years of Planning "grizzles", Appeals, Consultant's fees - no brainer!!!

Why a successful football team or a glitzy new stadium?

Why not both?

Why do up a 3 sided, cold and soulless stadium that is already 20 years old but looks older? The pitch is 15/20 feet from the nearest fans, the roofs are so high that any noise generated by the fans disappears, the concourses are cold, dark, long and narrow. This makes them places that many would rather avoid than to come into for prematch/half time food and drink. The toilets are a health risk!

If we have no alternative, then the Kassam will make do. But why would anyone really want this as our long term home if better options were available?

But in the meantime, we can and have backed the team. You've only got to look at the last few months to see what this team is capable of. Continue to develop our own, add to the squad with a mix of experience and hungry young players and we can have a team to really compete in our new glitzy mall with bonus football pitch!!

PS, it isn't, and never will be a pissing SOCCER pitch!!!!

Or maybe rebuild the stadium, build the west stand so it’s close to the pitch, steeper, standing area, concourse and with good food outlets in the first year or so followed by a rebuild of the east stand for away fan’s, fill in the corners to match west and east stand standards, south stand could probably stay the same, the north maybe just tarting up.

Or maybe rebuild the stadium, build the west stand so it’s close to the pitch, steeper, standing area, concourse and with good food outlets in the first year or so followed by a rebuild of the east stand for away fan’s, fill in the corners to match west and east stand standards, south stand could probably stay the same, the north maybe just tarting up.
Yes, I think my preference would be to buy Kasstad and rebuild it gradually

Heard the same re the daughter .... that she, after witnessing people spitting at her old man when the boardroom was stormed(apparently), really doesnt like oufc or anything to do with oufc

Though it may have been (an)other occasion(s) she , at ayoung age saw her dad on the recieving end of spitting & abuse

Kassam wasn’t there when the boardroom was stormed, unfortunately.

That’s what we were being told by some. Thought you were one of these at one point, but could be wrong.
Not for the first time, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!!

If you look at the Kassam on Google Earth and "fill in" the fields adjacent to Grenoble Road with housing, a train station at the science park it just "rounds off" that end of the city. The stadium footprint is plenty big enough to grow even if parking spaces are lost. With a train stop & park & ride the car parks are pretty much wasted space most of the year.
Still think there is more potential on this site that outweighs the "pain" of somewhere else.
However it needs success on the pitch to drive it.
And if building the team infrastructure takes time, then so will any ground development.

• React
Reactions: Jem
Why a successful football team or a glitzy new stadium?

Why not both?

Why do up a 3 sided, cold and soulless stadium that is already 20 years old but looks older? The pitch is 15/20 feet from the nearest fans, the roofs are so high that any noise generated by the fans disappears, the concourses are cold, dark, long and narrow. This makes them places that many would rather avoid than to come into for prematch/half time food and drink. The toilets are a health risk!

If we have no alternative, then the Kassam will make do. But why would anyone really want this as our long term home if better options were available?

But in the meantime, we can and have backed the team. You've only got to look at the last few months to see what this team is capable of. Continue to develop our own, add to the squad with a mix of experience and hungry young players and we can have a team to really compete in our new glitzy mall with bonus football pitch!!

PS, it isn't, and never will be a pissing SOCCER pitch!!!!
I’m of the opinion I want the team to win and do well whatever ground we play in, I have a seat in a ground for 90+ minutes and watch my team, I’m not fussed about all the new stadium or buying the stadium stuff, I don’t see it’s any benefit to the club anyway, the word sustainable is a myth in football nowadays, to get out of this league will cost £5m and to stay in the championship £12-15m, that not going to be raised if we owned a new stadium or the current ground.
If we buy the ground or wait 5+ years for a new one after taking out the purchase and running costs I can’t see enough money left to make us stainable, unfortunately football is a money pit unless you get to the prem league for a year or so, Bournemouth did it on a stadium capacity of 11k buy the owner chucked loads of money at it.

What if FK sells the whole shooting match? Ozone, hotel, Priory etc? Our rich chaps could offer him £50m for the lot, instant revenue, ROI & earning potential.
Looking at the properties which have published accounts (Sep '18):
Firoka (Oxford United Stadium) Ltd - the stadium - operating profit: £0.5m
Firoka (Oxford Leisure) Ltd - the Ozone - operating profit: £1.3m
Firoka (Oxford Hotels) Ltd - the Holiday Inn Express - operating profit: £1.1m
We know FK wanted £13m for the stadium.
Applying a similar price to earnings ratio to the other properties would value the Ozone at £34m, the Holiday Inn Express at £29m.
Add in say £30m for the Hilton (no accounts published yet) and the total for 2 hotels, ozone and stadium is already £106m.
And that isn't even for the whole site, to the best of my knowledge, FK doesn't own the cinema or the Priory.
Nobody in their right mind is gonna pay £100m+ for a 20 odd year old development on that payback schedule

Looking at the properties which have published accounts (Sep '18):
Firoka (Oxford United Stadium) Ltd - the stadium - operating profit: £0.5m
Firoka (Oxford Leisure) Ltd - the Ozone - operating profit: £1.3m
Firoka (Oxford Hotels) Ltd - the Holiday Inn Express - operating profit: £1.1m
We know FK wanted £13m for the stadium.
Applying a similar price to earnings ratio to the other properties would value the Ozone at £34m, the Holiday Inn Express at £29m.
Add in say £30m for the Hilton (no accounts published yet) and the total for 2 hotels, ozone and stadium is already £106m.
And that isn't even for the whole site, to the best of my knowledge, FK doesn't own the cinema or the Priory.
Nobody in their right mind is gonna pay £100m+ for a 20 odd year old development on that payback schedule

Looking at it like that then maybe not!
Depends if he wants to "cash in" or not.
Sometimes there are other influences.
He might fancy retiring & buying a small island or a big boat...or both! ?

I’m of the opinion I want the team to win and do well whatever ground we play in, I have a seat in a ground for 90+ minutes and watch my team, I’m not fussed about all the new stadium or buying the stadium stuff, I don’t see it’s any benefit to the club anyway, the word sustainable is a myth in football nowadays, to get out of this league will cost £5m and to stay in the championship £12-15m, that not going to be raised if we owned a new stadium or the current ground.
If we buy the ground or wait 5+ years for a new one after taking out the purchase and running costs I can’t see enough money left to make us stainable, unfortunately football is a money pit unless you get to the prem league for a year or so, Bournemouth did it on a stadium capacity of 11k buy the owner chucked loads of money at it.

If you're not fussed about all the new stadium or buying the stadium stuff then maybe this thread is not for you. Also, if you are unable to see how reducing the rent, increasing income and sharing additional revenue has any benefit on our club, then I'm not sure there is any point in further communication.

If you're not fussed about all the new stadium or buying the stadium stuff then maybe this thread is not for you. Also, if you are unable to see how reducing the rent, increasing income and sharing additional revenue has any benefit on our club, then I'm not sure there is any point in further communication.
Yes I agree rather odd comments.
One of the few people who seems like the Kassam Stadium, like good old Firoz and thinks that the current arrangement is sustainable.

Back
Top Bottom