Current Player #9 Mark Harris

You really aren’t seeing the wider picture, are you? We are the top scorers in the league, partly because Harris does what he does. No, he isn’t an “out and out goalscorer”, but his intelligent movement and pace has created plenty of chances for others.
I really don’t believe that, as a team, we would have scored as many goals - or won as many matches - with a six yard box poacher up there instead.
Give the boy some credit…..
I actually think Harris is a really good player, but he should be so much more clinical than he is. He should have scored 3 against Leyton Orient..

We're doing well while the goals are being spread around the team, helped by a left back with 5!

But we do look so much worse when he's subbed / doesn't play. I would like us to sign a more prolific 'striker' and try Harris on the wing.

Harris does everything right, almost. Just needs a few percent improvement finishing and we'll have a 20 goal a season player on our hands.
Don't underestimate the goals others have scored because of his impact.
Agreed.

If he could just start not missing all the ones he almost scored, then his goal output would improve and we would be sat on a £3m player.

If anyone should have a grudge against Harris then it is me!

I had a £10 double on Szmodics (Blackburn) and Harris scoring anytime in their games at the weekend. Szmodics did the business Fri evening, then I was watching in disbelief in the Orient end at every chance he missed! But despite costing me £110, I really like him. I think he’s particularly good at getting in behind and sets the tone up top for the team with his harrying and closing down.

He suits our shape, by pushing on and getting in behind the centre backs that creates space in front of the centre backs for Rodrigues.

But..

We definitely need at least one other option (if not 2) down the middle.We spread the goals around, so I don’t think we are as reliant on an ‘out and out’ striker as others think.

You really aren’t seeing the wider picture, are you? We are the top scorers in the league, partly because Harris does what he does. No, he isn’t an “out and out goalscorer”, but his intelligent movement and pace has created plenty of chances for others.
I really don’t believe that, as a team, we would have scored as many goals - or won as many matches - with a six yard box poacher up there instead.
That’s apart from the 10 offsides in the 2nd half at Leyton Orient & a hat-trick of missed chances he wasted apart from that everything’s rosey, this section would of been on complete meltdown now had we drawn or lost the game & the finger would of been pointed at Harris wastefulness in front of goal yet again there’s no doubt.

If anyone should have a grudge against Harris then it is me!

I had a £10 double on Szmodics (Blackburn) and Harris scoring anytime in their games at the weekend. Szmodics did the business Fri evening, then I was watching in disbelief in the Orient end at every chance he missed! But despite costing me £110, I really like him. I think he’s particularly good at getting in behind and sets the tone up top for the team with his harrying and closing down.

He suits our shape, by pushing on and getting in behind the centre backs that creates space in front of the centre backs for Rodrigues.

But..

We definitely need at least one other option (if not 2) down the middle.We spread the goals around, so I don’t think we are as reliant on an ‘out and out’ striker as others think.
Sorry for your loss.
Can’t disagree with anything you’ve written .
On Saturday both Harris and Mills played well forward,nearly always on the cusp of being offside , but it worked.
As a result he was more involved in the game and contributed greatly to two of the three goals.

I think like a few people have said, it's more a matter of time with Harris. I suspect he'll go and score a hat trick against someone (maybe Chelteham) after not scoring for so long. He's doing so much of the right stuff...

That’s apart from the 10 offsides in the 2nd half at Leyton Orient & a hat-trick of missed chances he wasted apart from that everything’s rosey, this section would of been on complete meltdown now had we drawn or lost the game & the finger would of been pointed at Harris wastefulness in front of goal yet again there’s no doubt.
I think you need to watch a match more carefully.

Mark Harris...can't work out whether he's a more mobile Sam Winnall or a more skilled Ryan Taylor.

This goalscoring thing with him is all about confidence.
He is doing everything right except in that last moment.
I don’t think it’s if he can make it work as much as when he makes it work.

Soon he is going to score a lot of goals.
You heard it here (probably not ) first.

But as a team we managed to score 9 goals in the 3 league matches he was suspended, 3 in each match so above our average so far of just over 1.5 in all other league games.
I've seen enough now to know he's not a composed finisher. He just doesn't have the control or calmness needed. He does well for the team but there's virtually no competition for his place in the side at the moment.
On Saturday we won by the odd goal in a game we should probably have scored 6. If we manage to get half as many chances against Bolton and miss them we'll probably lose.
It could make all the difference at the end of the season.

I’m fed up with saying this but his career record just doesn’t suggest he will score goals.

140 appearance 17 goals

You cannot argue with facts, he is not a goal scorer.

I agree he works hard, finds spaces,brings others into the game and creates chances.All of this enables other players to score. He is a fantastic squad player for us and I agree when he goes off we look poorer.

BUT on Saturday had Bodin been in Harris’s position on the cross from Mills or the corner from which Rodrigues scored he would have had a hat trick on the day.

Think we have a dilemma here ,we could get a decent no9 in but would he create as much off the ball as Harris?

We need Kyle Joseph or someone very similar with Harris on the bench

I’m fed up with saying this but his career record just doesn’t suggest he will score goals.

140 appearance 17 goals

I agree he works hard, finds spaces,brings others into the game and creates chances.All of this enables other players to score. He is a fantastic squad player for us and I agree when he goes off we look poorer.

BUT on Saturday had Bodin been in Harris’s position on the cross from Mills or the corner from which Rodrigues scored he would have had a hat trick on the day.

Think we have a dilemma here ,we could get a decent no9 in but would he create as much off the ball as Harris?

A good chunk of his appearances have been as a winger/midfielder and that needs to be taken into account.

But as a team we managed to score 9 goals in the 3 league matches he was suspended, 3 in each match so above our average so far of just over 1.5 in all other league games.
I've seen enough now to know he's not a composed finisher. He just doesn't have the control or calmness needed. He does well for the team but there's virtually no competition for his place in the side at the moment.
On Saturday we won by the odd goal in a game we should probably have scored 6. If we manage to get half as many chances against Bolton and miss them we'll probably lose.
It could make all the difference at the end of the season.

I think that’s fair I feel every time he gets into a goal scoring opportunity it’s just hit & hope all the time there’s no placement where he wants to put it, where as Rodriguez knew exactly where he was putting that ball for his 1st goal compared to Harris 1st sitter he missed on Saturday just hit down the centre then off the post

140 appearance 17 goals

Fair points.

This season Harris has 3 goals from 3.5 XG. He's scored roughly in line with the chances the team has created for him.

His XGoT from those chances is 5.2. So he's finished well enough to deserve 5 goals.

If you can't argue with facts, I'd say this means he is a goal scorer.

This season Harris has 3 goals from 3.5 XG. He's scored roughly in line with the chances the team has created for him.

His XGoT from those chances is 5.2. So he's finished well enough to deserve 5 goals.

Since you can't argue with facts, I guess this means he is a goal scorer.
f**k XG it’s a load of B*****s, XG doesn’t get you 3 points in a game does it?

What matters is him hitting the back of the net

All I know is that Harris has missed some sitters and other good chances this season and should have 8/10 league goals to his name by now.

Fact - he hasn’t

If you can't argue with facts, I'd say this means he is a goal scorer.
Out of interest, are you able to see the xG of each of the chances he's had?

For example, what was the xG on his first goal against Derby vs the xG on the chance he had the following week at Barnsley which the keeper saved? (Much like the one the Orient keeper saved on the weekend)

Back
Top Bottom