Away Match Day Thread 6/2/2021 L1 Doncaster Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malc

Staff member
So today is a real test for the Yellows Donny are on top form just as we are. Could be a great match. I'm going for 1-1 but I'll be over the moon with 1-2.

If we play with the intensity that we can and avoid any red cards I am confident we can get a result. Need to cut down on fannying around the back and get it forward. Im going 1-3 COYY

Really looking forward to it, an excellent test of how far we've come.

A BLAST FROM THE PAST :

December 22nd 2018

Doncaster Rov. (Whiteman, May) 2-2 Oxford Utd (Whyte, Ruffels)

U’s : Eastwood - Hanson Dickie Nelson Ruffels - Brannagan Mousinho Henry - Browne Mackie Whyte

PLAYED FOR BOTH : includes Les Robinson, Andy Crosby, Billy Whitehurst, Colin Booth, John Lundstram, Jon-Paul Pittman,
Kevin Sandwith, Harry Fearnley, Lewis Guy, Rufus Brevett, David Penney and others.

DXxqJ-yX0AIxQqH

Seen a few different suggested lineups on here, and I understand some people’s thinking in that we shouldn’t change a winning team, but personally I’d start what I believe to be our best XI and see what they can do, challenge them to keep the shirt and see what happens:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Henry Brannigan
Barker Taylor Shodipo
Subs: Eastwood, Forde, Grayson, Hanson, Sykes, Lee, Winnall

Tell Barker and Shodipo to switch wings regularly. Definitely bring Lee on at some point.

Seen a few different suggested lineups on here, and I understand some people’s thinking in that we shouldn’t change a winning team, but personally I’d start what I believe to be our best XI and see what they can do, challenge them to keep the shirt and see what happens:

Stevens
Gorrin
Henry Brannigan
Barker Taylor Shodipo

Tell Barker and Shodipo to switch wings regularly. Definitely bring Lee on at some point.

I've gone back and forth over many options for todays lineup, but can't really argue with that side, and like the idea of Barker and Shodipo switching back and forth, driving the full backs nuts!

I'd quite like to see Sykes in a more central attacking midfield role at some point, similar to Tuesday, as he looks like he could be very useful there, but today's probably not the time to be experimenting with that, against such a strong side, in such a big game.

Win today, and we're really in business!

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!

Stevens
Gorrin
Henry Brannigan
Barker Taylor Shodipo

Agreed, like that team to start. A smorgasbord of talent on the bench. If we play to our ability we will win. COYY

Stevens
Gorrin
Henry Brannigan
Barker Taylor Shodipo

That’s it. That’s the team!

COYY! 2-0 away win! 💛💙

Close fought game with a late U's winner from Ruffels

I still don't think many people realise the work Liam Kelly does in our midfield, especially at stopping the opposition from playing. He may not do the huge tackles that Gorrin does, or the play making of McGuane or Brannagan, but he is just as important in games like today.

Stevens
Brannagan Gorrin Kelly
Henry Taylor Shodipo

We will then have Lee Winnall and Barker who can replace the front three to hammer home our advantage in the last 30 mins.

One nil Oxford - Shodipo!

Last edited:
I still don't think many people realise the work Liam Kelly does in our midfield, especially at stopping the opposition from playing. He may not do the huge tackles that Gorrin does, or the play making of McGuane or Brannagan, but he is just as important in games like today.

Stevens
Brannagan Gorrin Kelly
Henry Taylor Shodipo

We will then have Lee Winnall and Barker who can replace the front three to hammer home our advantage in the last 30 mins.
With our new players who can play wide upfront (although, Luton fans say Lee's best position is more of a midfield/no. 10 position) it will be interesting to see if KR still plays Henry in the wide position of a front three, or further back in midfield, where he has looked good recently.

Last edited:
A stomping 1-3 away win as we lay down the gauntlet to the rest of the league ....Taylor ,Cam Bran and Barker a late solo 👏

Stevens
Brannagan Gorrin Kelly
Henry Taylor Shodipo

One nil Oxford - Shodipo!
Tend to agree with this. It's not all hurrah football at the moment and Kelly offers that bit of grit in protecting the back line along with Gorrin. He also has the odd touch to stretch play as well. I think Henry has an important role to play, but not sure it's out wide anymore.

In recent weeks we have seen odd mistakes here and there that went unpunished. They won't today. Possibly a high-scoring draw? 2-2.

COYY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom