Current Player #30 Owen Dale

Because to have such an agreement would be against English Football League rules. The rules could not be very much clearer on this (see guidance under clause 49.273 in the EFL handbook):

"Clubs cannot have any form of agreement pursuant to which the Player is unable to play against the Club he has transferred from. Such clauses are only permissible in loan agreements in accordance with Regulation 55.8"

So if we announced that we had such an agreement, we'd be admitting to a rules breach and basically be begging the league to punish us (and Blackpool).

If we do have this gentleman's agreement - it's an illegal one. And, thanks to Jerome, the league is probably watching now. I would much rather P**s Blackpool off by ignoring it (and have Dale for the game) than risk the EFL's ire.

So it now appears we’re now caught between a rock and hard place.

Break a gentleman’s agreement, or break league rules.

As @SteMerritt suggests he’ll be an unused sub.

Last edited:
Confirmed he won't play due to an agreement. I'm sure we will all be able to maturely accept that this is something we have no control over and don't know the full details of and so can move on with supporting the team and getting behind the rest of the squad that can play.

Confirmed he won't play due to an agreement. I'm sure we will all be able to maturely accept that this is something we have no control over and don't know the full details of and so can move on with supporting the team and getting behind the rest of the squad that can play.

I will admit that I was wrong about this but I really don't think clubs should be able to insert these types of clauses into permanent transfers - it's anti-competitive

It’s OK to be behind the team on a Saturday (when are we not?) and dispute whether this was something we should’ve agreed to. I think it stinks, and nothing will change my mind. As others have said I can get fully on board with a clause such as this when we’ve borrowed their player but when we’ve paid for and acquired the services of the player permanently, it should be unrestricted.

Our narrative seems to be it’s just one game with 15 more to play. Why don’t Blackpool see it that way? We’re weak.

That has got to be the most pathetic agreement ever. What bit about we've bought him off you , he's ours now. Don't they get ,Not a loan player, not cup tied, that is so weak of us... Some absolutely crazy goings on this season. Bizzare...

We are genuinely pathetic at negotiation
I know it’s a big ask but ever thought about think before you post?

It might have been a case of not getting the player at all if we didn’t agree to it or we could have got the fee down slightly if they want the clause put in.

It’s one game and it’s not like he is a massive key player that has been putting in amazing performances for us, he has played 45 minutes!

Am I going nuts? Can someone else please double check that I've not just lost the power to read.

I believe these are the EFL's rules and regulations for the current season, and they've made it pretty damn clear that this sort of arrangement is not allowed:

I can understand both clubs staying hush-hush and doing it anyway with plausible deniability, but our manager is now openly talking about flouting the league rules.
Guess that shows how few, and how blunt the EFL's teeth are.......

Back
Top Bottom