30/07/2022 - L1: Derby County v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today looked a depressingly familiar Oxford performance against a ‘big’ side, one where we couldn’t seem to handle the expectation. Once again we were competitive, we were reasonably tidy in possession but just seemed lacking in ideas in the attacking third. I was hoping to see a more Rotherham or Wigan type performance from us, one where we were resolute and savvy, but what we got was exactly the kind of nearly, flakey type performance that has seen us fail in recent seasons.

We will likely win next week to get us going but I really fear todays performance will be exactly the sort we see throughout the season against those teams around us, when we get caught between going for victory, settling for a point or most likely conceding a tight game to a momentary lack of concentration.
Agree. It's getting tiring seeing KR continue to play Taylor up front by himself when it doesn't work.

This week is massive in terms of bringing in new players. Can't be playing catch-up once again. Cambridge will be a tough matchup next week.

A good game, we played well. We lost the game from the substitutions. Bodin was class and we changed it but we didn’t keep the pressure on. Sorry Gorrin but you had a nightmare. Why do we try to hold on to a draw when we are on top? Taylor was knackered he should have come off.
For the second half we were second best, and the first 15 mins of the first half.

Doesn't want to block O'Donkor's development by signing a RB? Errrrr......did he/you mean Golding? And even then, surely Golding is a CB first and foremost?
If Sam Long gets injured tomorrow - and he does have precedent for picking up lingering injuries - then we are screwed. Not signing a RB would be gross derelection of duty.

And hamstring tears run on a scale of 1-3. We'd discussed this earlier, but it has to be a Grade 3 because that's the only way he'd need an operation and be out for longer than six weeks.......
He uses golding at his own judgement. He is nowhere near Div.1. Standard as et, and as too little game time. It was either against Coventry of WBA, that after a few decent touches in the first have in the second he made too many.

Thought we were set up perfectly for 70 mins and then the Gorrin sub just upset the balance too much. I think we gave a decent account of ourselves in what was a game full of unknowns and I think there’s a lot of overreaction going on. We finished the game poorly that is obvious but we did very little wrong for 3 quarters of that game and really we gave the game to them - they didn’t make us look silly at any point.

I also don’t think the squad depth had anything to do with us losing the game but it definitely prevented us from having a go at winning it when it was in the balance.

Taylor was my biggest disappointment. He and Seddon are the two problem areas for me following end of last season. He’s great around the box but he did us no favours today. It was like playing with 10 men with the ball arriving at half way and coming straight back. We need someone who reads those situations better regardless of their ability to score goals; we’ll be a better team overall with that option.
But if we had the squad depth on the bench to call upon, any situation that needed changing could have been tinkered with to give kr a different angle at the game. This seems more relevant now that we are allowed 5 subs.
The situation is that though we don't have the strength in depth to be able to do that, and change the system as the squad is still totally inadequate for a promotion push.

This week is massive in terms of bringing in he right players we need, it's common sense what we need, so we don't waste further opportunities against winnable games.

Last edited:
Player Ratings v Derby

Eastwood (6/10) - One decent save but a nervous wreck with the ball at his feet.

Long (6/10) - Solid defensively but his final ball was woeful offering nothing going forward.

Moore (8/10) - Very good. Some wonderful long passes. Collins didn’t get a sniff out of him all game.

Findlay (7/10) - Rock solid for large parts. Passing was poor towards the end. Consistently bailing out Seddon.

Seddon (5/10) - A few breaks forward but consistently caught out of position defensively as usual.

McGuane (8/10) - Energetic. Got stuck in. Real centre midfielders performance.

Brannagan (6/10) - Really not at it. Too many Hollywood passes. Last few days took its toll?

Browne (7/10) - Few bright runs. One bit of magic with a nutmeg in the first half. Lucky not to be sent off second half for a scissor tackle.

Henry (6/10) - Anonymous going forward. Not got the legs out wide. Good defensively helping Long though.

Bodin (8/10) - Runs in behind. Some outstanding skills. Would’ve had assist of the season wrapped up had Taylor done his job.

Taylor (5/10) - Non existent. 2 chances he fluffed. Didn’t look fit. Only player to go down with cramp would show that.

Subs - Gorrin clearly not close whatsoever to being fit. Murphy rarely touched the ball.

And don’t you just love the opportunity to say ‘I told you so’…
It’s tedious, change the record.
Yeah I just love it when we lose. :rolleyes:

Should I not voice my concerns?

Do you actually think it’s acceptable to go into our first game of the season, with such an understocked and under prepared squad, that we’re putting 3 kids and a player only just returning from a serious long term injury on the bench?

Should our manager not “change the record” with all the unfit, injury prone, crocks he signs?

Should he not “change the record” and stop neglecting the need to build balanced squads, and stop taking us into the start of EVERY season with squads way off the level required to make a good start to the season, and one striker or defensive injury away from a full blown injury crisis in those areas?

Should maybe YOU “change the record” and stop defending the indefensible, and for once try to articulate a suggestion as to what YOU think the “record” should be changed to?

Nah, you’re right, it’s me that should “change the record” isn’t it?

How dare I voice such justifiable concerns?

The result today isn’t even the most concerning thing, it’s the state of our squad, and the obvious signs that our manager has not learned from his previous mistakes, again, that’s the biggest concern.

Yes, he’ll bring more players in over the next few weeks, but how many points will we have dropped by then, due to the current state of our squad?

Is that not a “record” that needs changing?

Not very disappointed thought we played ok just did not create much. They took their decent chance. Positive for the season it's not the first games that count it's the last. Have a good night all. Also great support from us!!!

I know you’re trying to be positive

But that is illogical. The first game makes as much difference as the last. The point being at the last game you know your situation.

If you’re already out of it because you lost the first games then ….

Nothing to worry about there, strong showing at a very tough away game. 1 chance taken made the difference. McGuane was excellent, Findlay looked excellent, sort the full backs out and we are playoffs minimum

Do we think the coach is going to update BOTH the full backs?

Just home. McGuane immense, Browne some moments of class but otherwise pretty uninspiring. Not bad, just not a lot to shout about.

Taylor was awful as he usually is when isolated upfront.

Pretty much normal performance against a bigger team. The game was there to be won but we disappeared after an hour.
These things are so easy to say with hindsight so that’s rubbish, sorry. Brannagan and McGuane were doing well in possession but we were getting stretched so another body in there was a good call - we had something to protect at 0-0. If he didn’t make that sub and we conceded from the edge of the box like we did, you’d say ‘why the hell didn’t he bring Gorrin on to sure things up’. This one was the right call but Gorrin failed to contribute anything.

FWIW I’d have taken Taylor off rather than Bodin. Taylor is simply too easy to play against on his own. Never seems to be where the ball drops and we didn’t get the ball in the box enough for him to do what he’s good for.
I initially thought the same, but moments later I watched Bodin last defensive tackle and he looked shot. Think he had exhausted the tank and fair play to him for that. This said, should we have still replaced Taylor, popped Browne up top? This said, with who (recruitment is behind unfortunately - let’s hope for the right reasons- quality). Taylor was getting no service and I agree, he looks the shadow of himself solo / without Baldock creating extra space.

Last edited:
I don't think Long was great.

But how many times did Derby get in down our right hand side? Maybe once all game?
And how many times did Derby get in down our left hand side? Often from just a simple ball over the top? Over and over and over again. If Mendez-Liang had anything resembling an end product, we might have got a hiding today.

Yes Sam Long didn't do much with the ball going forwards, and Seddon maybe played a couple of decent passes.

But the primary job of a full back is to defend - and Sam Long can mostly do that. Unfortunately can't say the same about Seddon at this point, almost 40 games into his Oxford career.

Still, I do agree with everyone saying that we need two more full backs.
At least two occasions Long was done for pace. Reason Seddon stood out as the weakness was that he had Mendez-Laing running down his left. If it had been the other way around, don’t think it would have been any different. Both squad players, if we want promotion, we need to upgrade. Loved Jim Smith for this, no sentiment, Micky Vinter and Neil Whatmore were scoring goals for us, but still replaced them when we needed to (Aldridge and Hamilton).

Last edited:
Player Ratings v Derby

Eastwood (6/10) - One decent save but a nervous wreck with the ball at his feet.

Long (6/10) - Solid defensively but his final ball was woeful offering nothing going forward.

Moore (8/10) - Very good. Some wonderful long passes. Collins didn’t get a sniff out of him all game.

Findlay (7/10) - Rock solid for large parts. Passing was poor towards the end. Consistently bailing out Seddon.

Seddon (5/10) - A few breaks forward but consistently caught out of position defensively as usual.

Brannagan (6/10) - Really not at it. Too many Hollywood passes. Last few days took its toll?

Browne (7/10) - Few bright runs. One bit of magic with a nutmeg in the first half. Lucky not to be sent off second half for a scissor tackle.

Henry (6/10) - Anonymous going forward. Not got the legs out wide. Good defensively helping Long though.

Bodin (8/10) - Runs in behind. Some outstanding skills. Would’ve had assist of the season wrapped up had Taylor done his job.

Taylor (5/10) - Non existent. 2 chances he fluffed. Didn’t look fit. Only player to go down with cramp would show that.

Subs - Gorrin clearly not close whatsoever to being fit. Murphy rarely touched the ball.
Agree with most of this apart from Bodin. He kept giving the ball away, especially the first 20mins and frustrating poor free kicks, but spot on with everything else.

Player Ratings v Derby

Agree with much of what you've written. Re Taylor's 'cramp', however, I'm 99% sure Robinson told him to go down so he could bring the players in for a quick team talk. The irony is that it all went downhill from there...

But if we had the squad depth on the bench to call upon, any situation that needed changing could have been tinkered with to give kr a different angle at the game. This seems more relevant now that we are allowed 5 subs.
The situation is that though we don't have the strength in depth to be able to do that, and change the system as the squad is still totally inadequate for a promotion push.

This week is massive in terms of bringing in he right players we need, it's common sense what we need, so we don't waste further opportunities against winnable games.
I’ve accounted for that. I’m not saying this isn’t a problem. But I don’t think it’s a factor in why we lost the game. He made the common sense substitutions that most managers would’ve made at that point to get a draw. We need players but it’s funny how a really positive couple of weeks for us suddenly goes up in smoke because of a defeat we could easily still have got with a full compliment of players.

They were definitely better in the second half, but that goal was saveable. Also it was due to an individual error and I think on another day it could easily have been 0-0. Disappointed but not distraught. I will never ever understand why any team gives away silly fouls in added time. Surely you want to do your best not to foul (and even invite pressure to hit on the counter). I hate this feeling, but it will dissipate slowly through the evening. We held our own (for about 60-70 mins at least) against one of the promotion favourites. Let's see how we do against the smaller clubs like Morecambe and Plymouth before we judge our season.
Can’t blame Eastwood for that goal, that was a quality strike from a quality player who took his one chance very well.

I’ve accounted for that. I’m not saying this isn’t a problem. But I don’t think it’s a factor in why we lost the game. He made the common sense substitutions that most managers would’ve made at that point to get a draw. We need players but it’s funny how a really positive couple of weeks for us suddenly goes up in smoke because of a defeat we could easily still have got with a full compliment of players.
But Karl sees the players all week in training etc and we get to see them for a few minutes, but most are saying that Gorrin clearly wasn’t match fit, so to bring him on when the the game is so tight and they were in the ascendency was a poor decision. Yeah, bring him on when you’re winning the game comfortably so that he can get match fitness minutes in his legs, but not away from home, with a big crowd and them on top.

Lots of the players looked spent, but didn’t need to change Bodin, just needed to change Henry for Murphy and see how it went. Would also have made that change 10-15mins earlier.

For Karl to have a big budget and assemble a squad like that for the start of the season is embarrassing.

He’s a lovely guy, but over thinks things and talks utter shite at times.

Can’t blame Eastwood for that goal, that was a quality strike from a quality player who took his one chance very well.
I blame him for throwing the ball to Findlay who clearly didn’t want the ball and was isolated, Hence the subsequent poor ball by Findlay, but not sure Eastwood could have done much for the actual shot.

How can you lose £45 on a free bet?

You lost nothing, you gained nothing 🙂
I didn't lose anything but was bloody close to gaining as I said tho if we would have won I wouldn't of cared don't normally gamble to be honest
Win on lose up the U's

Eastwood, Findlay, Moore, McGuane were the best of the bunch. Taylor, Browne, Seddon the worst. The rest were average.

I know it was a loose pass from Findlay that led to the goal but I was impressed with him individually and as a partnership with Moore. Plenty of optimism at the centre of defence. He only had two or three touches but Murphy looks a player.
Browne one of the worst?! What about the number of times he turned away from one or more in midfield and got us on the front foot? Once the early season rustiness goes and his touch sharpens up he’ll be unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom