Home Match Day Thread 29/12/23: L1 - OUFC v Derby County

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s really challenging for him. Matter of opinion really as last week he made changed thats I wouldn’t have and got the win. It’s difficult to balance what you can use on the day without making matters worse the next week and I’m sure he has the medical team in his ear and being new he can’t be seen to ignore them when he’s trying to build a relationship there.

Manning did as much as could be expected and this could so easily have happened with him here. It’s tricky for Des to front this up. This is a real baptism of fire to be the face a problem that you didn’t create but that’s management. Hopefully Ed had a good Christmas and ready to do his thing again.
And Manning had another fresh 5-7 players to choose from, but most of us knew (probably him too) that once the heavier pitches came along the likes of Browne, Henry, Murphy, Bodin etc wouldn’t last/be available/fit enough.

Browne and Murphy were Robinson signings, the Henry contract extension was Robinsons doing, Bodin as well.

The centre forward situation is partly Robinson and partly Manning, but Robinson was here for 5 years and left that cupboard absolutely bare along with other positions, Manning had a hell of a job to do in a short time to repair the damage Robinson did to the club.

The fires from Robinsons last year at the club were put out by Manning which was one hell of a job but the damage that was left and the rebuild job was never going to be completed in one summer transfer window, the beginning of this season was a false dawn of overachievement in the shadow of the damage caused by a man having a midlife crisis of epic proportions.
Very well put.

The players who were the engine of Manning's team aren't there. Greg Leigh, most of all. Edwards and Negru are big misses too.

Others like Goodrham and Mills have had to become starters rather than coming on for the last twenty minutes. We have a small group of players who are shattered. Lets hope we can bring some quality in early in January and that Leigh Murphy and Edwards return soon.

Also wondering what's happened to players like Josh Johnson and Max Woltman. Any chance of them being fit enough to at least offer options on the bench?

The players who were the engine of Manning's team aren't there. Greg Leigh, most of all. Edwards and Negru are big misses too.

Others like Goodrham and Mills have had to become starters rather than coming on for the last twenty minutes. We have a small group of players who are shattered. Lets hope we can bring some quality in early in January and that Leigh Murphy and Edwards return soon.

Also wondering what's happened to players like Josh Johnson and Max Woltman. Any chance of them being fit enough to at least offer options on the bench?
Both returning from injury i think

Maybe its because I can just about remember when , for example, over Easter weekend, there would be 3 games ( league played over 4 days ( good fri, Easter Sat, Easter Mon) - that was during the days when there were NO substitutes too.

Players tired? , that's not any excuse in today's 5 substitutes per match times IMO. They are professional footballers, they should be physically fit and capable of doing the job they are (well) paid to do, which is play football

If they are apparently 'tired' , the question is why are they not fit or capable of doing the job they're paid to do?

Last edited:

There was someone doing sprints in front of the North Stand before the game who was not in the match squad. That may well have been Woltman.

Maybe the med team should come out and say why we got so many injuries, what they are doing to get them back ect.....
Instead of Des saying that they should be fine then out for 3-4 weeks which again turns into even longer 🙄

Looking at the goals again we can't defend if the keeper is stuck on his line .
2nd and 3rd goals should surely have been claimed/ punched as both Derby players ended up about 3 yards out when connecting.
Not easy as good balls in but trying to defend a line when keeper static leaves a big area to pop the ball into and attack.
Beadle is generally fantastic but that aspect of his game massively needs working on.

2nd and 3rd goals should surely have been claimed/ punched as both Derby players ended up about 3 yards out when connecting.
Not easy as good balls in but trying to defend a line when keeper static leaves a big area to pop the ball into and attack.
Beadle is generally fantastic but that aspect of his game massively needs working on.
I agree Beadle had a poor game last night and at fault for at least the 2nd goal all this talk last night of Birmingham coming in for him and on that showing he isn't championship ready and it would probably brake him expecially if he goes to brum under Rooney

Cross balls to the far post not defended which are costing us, last minute at Northampton, again last night, we all had a moan that the referee played over time for the Derby goal, it was a MINIMUM of 2 mins so he was right to carry on if need be, bad defending on that side again, only our selves to blame.

Can we at least give Des a chance.

He’s had to move half way around the world at short notice, take on a threadbare team with increasing injuries, plus he’s not even had chance to bring in his type of players. He needs at least 2 or 3 transfer windows (at least a summer window) before we can truly judge him, but the guy needs a breather/chance.

Let’s just all get behind the team/manager and coaching staff. If we learnt anything last night was the way Derby fans stayed with their team when they were 2-0 down.

Last edited:
Oh my days. People have lost the plot now, arguably our player of the season so far should be shown the door now? Has he got elements to work on, sure he does, he is 18 but unless Brighton are cutting his loan period short I would suggest the position of goal keeper is the last place we need to be looking in January.
Well, they might take him back.... I for one would be to concerned as long as we have another lined up, some one more experienced.

Can we at least give Des a chance.

He’s had to move half way around the world at short notice, take on a threadbare team with increasing injuries, plus he’s not even had chance to bring in his type of players. He needs at least 2 or 3 transfer windows (at least a summer window) before we can truly judge him, but the guy needs a breather/chance.

Let’s just all get behind the team/manager and coaching staff. If we learnt anything last night was the way Derby fans stayed with their team when they were 2-0 down.

He joined a team doing well though. I can't be the only one who was looking forward to a new manager bounce from second and are slightly disappointed it hasn't happened and momentum appears to have been lost.

Well, they might take him back.... I for one would be to concerned as long as we have another lined up, some one more experienced.
Don't think anyone is saying he should be shown the door as he has been excellent but obvious failings surely are ok to be discussed ( unless that's only allowed for certain players ) ?

Cross balls to the far post not defended which are costing us, last minute at Northampton, again last night, we all had a moan that the referee played over time for the Derby goal, it was a MINIMUM of 2 mins so he was right to carry on if need be, bad defending on that side again, only our selves to blame.
And the corner was awarded just as the 2 mins was up. Only right that they should be allowed to take it. I know some refs blow anyway, but that irritates me, especially if it's ours!

Just analysing their goals - and of course credit must be given to the quality of the deliveries into the box - but Hourihane’s superb corner looks to be flicked across goal by Fin Stevens for the first, Ciaron Brown yet again leaves his man free in the box from Cashin‘s brilliant ball to the back stick where Thompson heads past Beadle and Cashin easily steers in the third getting in front of Fin Stevens. Another top class delivery from Hourihane.

Apart from those great balls in there were countless overloads down by both flanks all night and we simply could not stop them. The corner count in their favour was off the scale. We were in effect lambs to the slaughter after that great start but the pressure was mounting from then on to the finale. It was like the Alamo for 85 minutes.

Derby arguably the best side seen at League One level in OX4 in the seven years we’ve been at the level. And I include Wigan 2017-18 in that.

We were battered.

Brown was expecting Bradley to come and claim the ball

Back
Top Bottom