Current Player #28 Stephan Negru

I get the ' we wont stand in the way of a player progressing their career' stance, certainly as we are plying our trade at the level we are currently at . However I think OUFC ( as do many other L1, L2 and non league clubs do too) undervalue our assets and set the sum, if offered to trigger talks with interested parties , too low. Its all about getting the balance right, IMO the scales are at the moment, and have been for some time, weighted in favour of clubs higher up the pyramid when they come sniffing.

I think COVID had a massive effect on all of L1, L2 and NL so there was a bit of desperation a year or so ago to balance the books so were prepared to accept bids lower than at other times.

Only consider selling him this season with a season long loan back to us for the season, and set the minimum fee very high. No loan clause, no deal.
Exactly this, and with a decent sell on clause so that we benefit greatly when they inevitably sell him on to a Chelsea or the like for £100m in a couple of years

A 20% sell on fee should be a rule set by the EFL for any player from the EFL being transferred to a PL team, this would protect EFL clubs from having their best young talent 'poached' without gaining in the future. It would also help the 'football food chain' with perhaps the same rule in place for talent taken from NL into the EFL?

A 20% sell on fee should be a rule set by the EFL for any player from the EFL being transferred to a PL team, this would protect EFL clubs from having their best young talent 'poached' without gaining in the future. It would also help the 'football food chain' with perhaps the same rule in place for talent taken from NL into the EFL?
Exactly this. I've also campaigned that all PL transfers should be taxed at least 1% with that money going into improving grassroots football. Chinese FA used a 100% tax on transfer fees for the same reason (or to have a bit for themselves!).

Think there’s a close relationship between the two clubs.
There was talk of Evan Ferguson last January by all accounts, if they were prepared to loan him to us. There’s plenty of trust between the two clubs.
Brighton have been pretty efficient in Ireland with the likes of Ferguson, Moran Furlong and before that Connelly and Mandroiu.
So to get the likes of McNally and Negru is some achievement by the club.
Think that's true
Interestingly other clubs were in for Negru when he came here, including Plymouth
He chose us as he was told he had a chance of progressing quickly to the first team
This only really opened up after our change of manager
But thankfully the lad seems to be grabbing the chance he's been given under LM

Think there’s a close relationship between the two clubs.
There was talk of Evan Ferguson last January by all accounts, if they were prepared to loan him to us. There’s plenty of trust between the two clubs.
Brighton have been pretty efficient in Ireland with the likes of Ferguson, Moran Furlong and before that Connelly and Mandroiu.
So to get the likes of McNally and Negru is some achievement by the club.
So you don’t think our starting goalkeeper is actually their Head Scout in disguise?

If you’re ITK I’m happy to listen, but it’s pretty suspicious to me.

I don't think that we will sell Negru during this window, but if we got £3m for him from Brighton and used that to buy Clarke-Harris, Leif Davis, an established league one centre back, a couple more development players and have a million or more in the bank, then would that be a good business or selling ourselves short?

If we did that, then we will have had to have kidnapped the Ipswich chairman's family and held them in a basement somewhere!

Leif Davis cost them £1.5 million a year ago, then he went on to be in the League One team of the season and arguably Ipswich's best player as they got promoted, and now he's a 23 year old starting left back for the Championship leaders. With today's player values, he is easily worth £15m on his own!

But on the general point - £3m is the absolute minimum figure that I would be opening negotiations on with Negru. And I would be wanting closer to 5. Absurd for someone with half a dozen League One games to his name? Absolutely - but the evidence shows that Premier League teams pay for potential these days, and they have ridiculous resources......particularly a club like Brighton that has mastered the art of taking Chelsea to the cleaners.

And on the issue of "We'll P**s Negru off, and never be able to sign a young player ever again".....again look at Peterborough and Ronnie Edwards. He's still with them a year after Premier League teams started sniffing around and supposedly offering seven figure sums. He hasn't downed tools in a huff, and Posh haven't suddenly been unable to sign youngsters either (the highly-rated Collins lad from Exeter joined them this summer). As long you're open and honest with your players and how you value them from the beginning, and are consistent with it, then I think they'll respect that more often than not.

If we did that, then we will have had to have kidnapped the Ipswich chairman's family and held them in a basement somewhere!

Leif Davis cost them £1.5 million a year ago, then he went on to be in the League One team of the season and arguably Ipswich's best player as they got promoted, and now he's a 23 year old starting left back for the Championship leaders. With today's player values, he is easily worth £15m on his own!

But on the general point - £3m is the absolute minimum figure that I would be opening negotiations on with Negru. And I would be wanting closer to 5. Absurd for someone with half a dozen League One games to his name? Absolutely - but the evidence shows that Premier League teams pay for potential these days, and they have ridiculous resources......particularly a club like Brighton that has mastered the art of taking Chelsea to the cleaners.

And on the issue of "We'll P**s Negru off, and never be able to sign a young player ever again".....again look at Peterborough and Ronnie Edwards. He's still with them a year after Premier League teams started sniffing around and supposedly offering seven figure sums. He hasn't downed tools in a huff, and Posh haven't suddenly been unable to sign youngsters either (the highly-rated Collins lad from Exeter joined them this summer). As long you're open and honest with your players and how you value them from the beginning, and are consistent with it, then I think they'll respect that more often than not.

Yeah, got Leif Davis and Greg Leigh mixed up!

I don’t think Negru is even close to being sold this window, unless there was an immediate loan back then it just isn’t the right time for him or us.

I’ve got no issue with players having 18 months with us and then being sold, if we then use some of the transfer fees to keep the model going.

If we sold Negru in the Summer after a commanding season at the heart of our defence, then with his fee you could probably secure an experienced replacement (immediately ready to slot in, for example out of contract champ defender) as well as a couple of development buys to replenish the conveyor belt.
I know its early days, but we stand 4th in League 1 and we have just beaten two of the lauded contenders for promotion away from home. All this with a team of exciting new young players who we clearly haven't seen the best of yet. It's still August! I wouldn't want to see any of them sold this season and if this team continues to improve as it surely will, we may need all of them in the Championship.

I know its early days, but we stand 4th in League 1 and we have just beaten two of the lauded contenders for promotion away from home. All this with a team of exciting new young players who we clearly haven't seen the best of yet. It's still August! I wouldn't want to see any of them sold this season and if this team continues to improve as it surely will, we may need all of them in the Championship.
NEW WORRY if we're top at Christmas we could lose our manager!

Well deserved. Going to get to a point where the fans no longer no who is in contract though!

When was his previous expiry date, I’d imagine we could tack on 2 years and get a good estimate

That's good news. I thought he looked good in his brief appearances last season - and his outings this time have been excellent.

Back
Top Bottom