Away Match Day Thread 27/04/2024: L1 - Exeter City v OUFC

Who was your MOTM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
More than a bit, I’d say. He oversaw a third of the season and made some instrumental signings. He did the hard yards of taking a down-and-out relegation threatened side and have them competing. You’d like to think now that we’ve finished 5th and some appear so convinced we’d have done no better had he stayed, they might let it go and give him his due for flipping our club in one summer and setting us on our way to a promotion campaign.
And while we're on it, let's give praise to Karl Robinson for spotting the potential in Josh Murphy and bringing him to the club. Also for bringing in Elliott Moore who, despite being quiet, has developed into a real leader who gives so much confidence when he plays. And finally Cam. I don't think any other manager than Robinson would have fought so hard to keep him, and I doubt that Cam would have stayed for anyone else.

You'd think that now these players have all been fundamental towards us getting into the playoffs that some might let it go and give Robinson his due.

More than a bit, I’d say. He oversaw a third of the season and made some instrumental signings. He did the hard yards of taking a down-and-out relegation threatened side and have them competing. You’d like to think now that we’ve finished 5th and some appear so convinced we’d have done no better had he stayed, they might let it go and give him his due for flipping our club in one summer and setting us on our way to a promotion campaign.
He also left us in the lurch, took away our backroom team lied to the fans -and refused to select Josh Murphy

And while we're on it, let's give praise to Karl Robinson for spotting the potential in Josh Murphy and bringing him to the club. Also for bringing in Elliott Moore who, despite being quiet, has developed into a real leader who gives so much confidence when he plays. And finally Cam. I don't think any other manager than Robinson would have fought so hard to keep him, and I doubt that Cam would have stayed for anyone else.

You'd think that now these players have all been fundamental towards us getting into the playoffs that some might let it go and give Robinson his due.
And let's not forget Chris Wilder, who have Sam Long his first start back in 2013.

That'll be me not getting a ticket,after only missing about 2 home game's.. season ticket holder's then member first then general sale. Where have they all been all season ....

I may be able to get you one on Tuesday. I'm getting my mate who's in a similar situation a ticket but I should be able to buy an additional with my son's season ticket.

PM if you still need someone.

He also left us in the lurch, took away our backroom team lied to the fans -and refused to select Josh Murphy
Also pretty much ostracised James Henry and had a very difficult relationship with several other players. Sacked coaches without having the decency to tell them directly and walked out without the decency to talk with players or club staff.

It really has been a very bizarre season. I don’t think I’ve ever known one where I’ve had such fluctuating opinions on where the team would end up. In early November, in 2nd, with January around the corner to fill some of the outstanding holes in the squad, I was convinced we were in a title race and comfortably on for the autos. Fast forward to the final whistle at Orient at home and I was resigned to dropping out of the playoffs, I couldn’t see where we were going with Des and was really pretty bummed about the season petering out. Same again after Shrewsbury away, I thought despite improving we had a habit of dropping too many easy points and was convinced we were out of the running.

Then 13 goals in 3 games and Murphy turning into prime Salah and I booked the time off work in preparation for the playoffs - and THEN dropping five points at home in four days and being resigned to Lincoln and Barnsley picking up three points each in their final games and keeping us out - to yesterday at 3 pm!

It still feels a little weird that, when all’s said and done, we’ve been the fifth best team in the league. But now we can look back at the season in the round, you have to say it is a hell of a turnaround from 22/23. From 19th with 47 points to 5th with 77 is pretty astonishing after two transfer windows’ work. 30 points more in the course of a year!

We’ve all had our grumbles about the men at the top, and I know many, myself included, have had doubts about Des (I’m sure many still do!) and whether he was the right appointment. But the proof is in the tasting of the pudding - our leadership have overseen huge strides in the playing side and in the development of our new stadium in the past 12 months, and I really do think deserve enormous credit.

I just had a quick look at the Lincoln forum. They seem a perfectly nice bunch and have a touching love for their team. Round our way there’s a massive cat who terrorises all the others and is a bastard that everyone hates, but his owners probably call him Toby and think he’s a lovely fluffy boy.

Yep, can we also give some thanks to Pep Clotet for bringing in John Mousinho, and Darren Patterson for starting the ball rolling by bringing in a great bunch o’ lads which has continued to this day.

Yep, can we also give some thanks to Pep Clotet for bringing in John Mousinho, and Darren Patterson for starting the ball rolling by bringing in a great bunch o’ lads which has continued to this day.

To be clear, I don't give any praise to Robinson or any of these others, but equally I don't rush on here to talk about how wonderful Manning was when he walked out on our club and has never given us a second thought.

If this season was going to be a failure because of Des, then it should also be a success because of him.

To be clear, I don't give any praise to Robinson or any of these others, but equally I don't rush on here to talk about how wonderful Manning was when he walked out on our club and has never given us a second thought.

If this season was going to be a failure because of Des, then it should also be a success because of him.
It wasn't great for the Club in the way that Manning left.It certainly had an unsettling effect on the players.
But it's churlish not to give Manning any credit for turning a relegation threatened team around and leaving us sitting second in the league.

It wasn't great for the Club in the way that Manning left.It certainly had an unsettling effect on the players.
But it's churlish not to give Manning any credit for turning a relegation threatened team around and leaving us sitting second in the league.

Everyone gave credit for that at the time. But we've moved on and now people are giving credit to Des for turning around the unsettled club and getting players, many of whom who were already here, playing in an exciting way that has got us 3 games from the Championship.

Why are we trying to give credit to two people that have left, it's not like they care :rolleyes:
Well, it's not a bad thing to give credit to those that deserve it, even if they don't care and even if one of them is a bona fide snake.

Back
Top Bottom