Home Match Day Thread 23/01/2024 L1: OUFC vs Barnsley

MOTM

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carpy

Staff member
Should be our toughest test of recent times this evening if the form table is to be believed

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 17.26.07.png

Disappointing that how the wind works seemed to cause our players so many issues.

In the first half, bally holdy uppy. In the second half, bally speedy uppy.

Lads?
To be fair it seemed to cause their players just as many issues! We had two decent opportunities, one in each half, directly from their players struggling with the conditions.

You often forget that everyone is entitled to their opinion - even those who don’t actually happen to agree with you. And particularly those who were actually at the match last night.
It’s not “filling my boots” to suggest that we were beaten by a quite ordinary-to-good side who did a job on us and deserved to win. They made us look what we are at the moment; an average league one team. There are some extenuating circumstances, of course, and injuries haven’t been kind, but we are what we are - slipping gradually down the league playing pretty average football. I was also at Carlisle and in the first half we played like we did in the first 60 minutes last night. And got away with it.
You “fill your boots”, Scotch, with your continued and one-eyed defence of the team, fair enough. But allow criticism where criticism is deserved. Last night we were very poor.

It was you that brought me into the discussion. Everyone is entitled to their views, and that is why I often keep away from the board following a defeat. However, I think that the criticism was over the top and said as much.

That doesn't prevent anyone from thinking that I'm wrong and expressing it exactly as they wish.

But this ‘quite ordinary-to-good side’ is 5th in League One and is four points off top with a game in hand. So maybe they’re a bit better than you’re suggesting?

I won’t say you can criticise certain aspects of last night’s performance, and in truth it should have been one we picked up a point in, but it feels like a lot of people are downplaying the relative quality of the opposition as a justification for how bad we were.
The context to that is that if we're honest, the overall quality of the league is fairly poor. I don't think I've seen a team this year I've been genuinely impressed by other than Peterborough.

The context to that is that if we're honest, the overall quality of the league is fairly poor. I don't think I've seen a team this year I've been genuinely impressed by other than Peterborough.

And for that reason we still have every chance of maintaining a push for playoffs despite evenings like last night.

Lots of twists and turns yet.

You often forget that everyone is entitled to their opinion - even those who don’t actually happen to agree with you. And particularly those who were actually at the match last night.
It’s not “filling my boots” to suggest that we were beaten by a quite ordinary-to-good side who did a job on us and deserved to win. They made us look what we are at the moment; an average league one team. There are some extenuating circumstances, of course, and injuries haven’t been kind, but we are what we are - slipping gradually down the league playing pretty average football. I was also at Carlisle and in the first half we played like we did in the first 60 minutes last night. And got away with it.
You “fill your boots”, Scotch, with your continued and one-eyed defence of the team, fair enough. But allow criticism where criticism is deserved. Last night we were very poor.

It was a poor game in poor conditions and we came out the wrong side.

We lost the battle but not yet the war, so to speak.

Still very bunched up in the top 8 and plenty to play for.

I thought it was a tight ,even game. I don't think there was anything to panic about in terms of performance.
I completely agree. We hit the bar and they made a couple of awful mistakes in defence (what was that weird ducking header back to the keeper at ground level all about?). On the flip side we didn't close down quick enough to make the cross that led to the goal more difficult.

Ruben has been a bit disappointing for a while and fades out of games too much. I don't quite understand why. Great to have Leigh back and Brannagan was his usually engine of a self. We played better once McEachran came on. Don't know whether that was correlation or causation. Good to see Tyler Burey out playing as well.

Overall we look like what we are - a team in transition. It will take time but I think we are going in the right direction.

Thought the remembrance video is very good (on Twitter for those that want to see it). Reminds us of what is important and that it is people that binds our community. @Sarge - i saw Ray Stewart on there who I assume is your relative and thought about you.

I completely agree. We hit the bar and they made a couple of awful mistakes in defence (what was that weird ducking header back to the keeper at ground level all about?). On the flip side we didn't close down quick enough to make the cross that led to the goal more difficult.

Ruben has been a bit disappointing for a while and fades out of games too much. I don't quite understand why. Great to have Leigh back and Brannagan was his usually engine of a self. We played better once McEachran came on. Don't know whether that was correlation or causation. Good to see Tyler Burey out playing as well.

Overall we look like what we are - a team in transition. It will take time but I think we are going in the right direction.

Thought the remembrance video is very good (on Twitter for those that want to see it). Reminds us of what is important and that it is people that binds our community. @Sarge - i saw Ray Stewart on there who I assume is your relative and thought about you.
yes related to Ray Stewart - Sargeant, (me Dad) - thanks @Eric Blair ... nice touch, albeit inadvertatantley, by the club , in going alphabetically using first names , my dad and uncle Roger were next to each other in last nights tributes

Just spoke to a good friend who's a Vale fan and his comment was you were at the races .I think that definitely describes us well when we come up against a decent side .We have been well and truly outplayed against good teams. Derby could have been way worse ,Peterborough could have been way worse, Coventry could have been really embarrassing and last night we were outplayed at times. We are and have been struggling for a while .But we will have hopefully 2 more players in by the weekend and maybe Des can get us playing .Lose Saturday and next Tuesday it could get abit more toxic. COYY

And it could very easily have become 1-1 but for a few centimetres of crossbar.

Game was awful on the eye, but a draw wouldn’t have been out of the question.
Yeah but ifs and but’s they hit the post in a similar way first half.
It wasn’t the result it was the manner of it.

Yeah but ifs and but’s they hit the post in a similar way first half.
It wasn’t the result it was the manner of it.
What was the manner of it? It was a tight game in awful conditions. Barnsley were better in the first half due to having the advantage of the conditions in their favour, we were the better team in the second half due to the same thing.

yes related to Ray Stewart - Sargeant, (me Dad) - thanks @Eric Blair ... nice touch, albeit inadvertatantley, by the club , in going alphabetically using first names , my dad and uncle Roger were next to each other in last nights tributes

Sarge, I recognised your Uncle Roger from the tributes. I didn’t know him, but he sat further along the same row in the North Stand as myself. Would always smile, say hello and usually predict the score, like yourself always positive about the outcome. Seemed like a nice fella.

Yes; blaming the weather is an easy Out. It was the same for both sides and Barnsley adapted better.
Surely surely we could see how they used the wind to their advantage in the first half, but did we do the same?! Nope. We hit it hard and fast towards the goal line with the in inevitable consequences. Sometimes we are SO naive.
The point is Barnsley werent Real Madrid they were as poor as us but just took one chance. Harris had a far better chance a few minutes into the second half but missed it.
The wind ruined the game for both sides and we didnt see the best of Barnsley or Oxford.

In the end it wasn’t and if it was they would have had one point and so would we but we didn’t they got theee and we got none.

Okay, but missing my point maybe.

If it was a point each, would we have such negativity? For the sake of a crossbar?

Okay, but missing my point maybe.

If it was a point each, would we have such negativity? For the sake of a crossbar?
There would still be negativity Barnsley were poor but adapted to the conditions whereas we didn’t no urgency at all from our side last night but as someone else pointed out earlier in this thread they wanted the win more.

Back
Top Bottom