Home Match Day Thread +++ 21/12/19 OUFC v Wycombe Wanderers +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m pretty sure grabbing someone around the neck with both hands and shoving them away isn’t a ‘soft’ yellow card!

As melees go that was a storm in a teacup, and Mous was horizontal and on the floor within two microseconds for no good reason that I can discern...

...I don’t doubt we played it well but fortune has favoured Oxford there...indisputably deserved the win though.

You can see why they have done so well though. Big strong team, loads of long balls. Won’t get away with playing like that in the Championship though.
They weren’t as big as I expected- in fact they had some nippy little forwards. But they certainly move the ball forward quickly, not a lot of time is spent in midfield.

They weren’t as big as I expected- in fact they had some nippy little forwards. But they certainly move the ball forward quickly, not a lot of time is spent in midfield.

They had a big defence. You could interchange their fullbacks and centre backs and not notice a difference. You can see how effective it is in that they were confident enough to concede corners in order to get the ball back in front of them again.

As for ‘anti-football’, I don’t really see it with Wycombe. They played a few neat slide rule passes prior to Akinfenwa’s red and tried to take advantage of our high press. Their football isn’t beautiful tika-taka but it isn’t John Beck route one either. Technically they were a distance behind us. Our bunch could trap a football in an instant whereas it would take a Wycombe player at least two.

However if complaining, shirt pulling, wrapping arms around players etc is the footballing Dark Arts, then Ainsworth is Lord Voldemort. The ref saw through it early which was a relief

A tough game but deserved the three points. Definite red card, did think Akinfiwa was better than that did look like Mackie was butted. Felt Taylor should have come on earlier so as to drag two defenders away when they had a free kick or a corner.
But 3 points onwards and upwards.

seemed like there could have been a scuffle outside the Ozone Wyscumb boy giving it large and a couple giving the come on, daft twats.

I thought Wycombe were a constant danger and oddly their long balls were really effective - would be weird if they were in the Championship and we aren't but fair play to them.

We were fantastic but should have put it to bed before half time.

God some of the views on Radio Oxford are so negative, someone phoned or texted in we were three points away from 11 place. That may be true but reflects a very Oxfordshire view which always seems a glass half empty. I find it very annoying, the commentary team gets into that mood occasionally as well.

They had a big defence. You could interchange their fullbacks and centre backs and not notice a difference. You can see how effective it is in that they were confident enough to concede corners in order to get the ball back in front of them again.

As for ‘anti-football’, I don’t really see it with Wycombe. They played a few neat slide rule passes prior to Akinfenwa’s red and tried to take advantage of our high press. Their football isn’t beautiful tika-taka but it isn’t John Beck route one either. Technically they were a distance behind us. Our bunch could trap a football in an instant whereas it would take a Wycombe player at least two.

However if complaining, shirt pulling, wrapping arms around players etc is the footballing Dark Arts, then Ainsworth is Lord Voldemort. The ref saw through it early which was a relief

Gotta disagree I thought there football was really poor. The stats back it up too (not that they will care as that's not how they play) We had 79% possession in the first half (where we gave them a schooling) and it was 11v11 for most of it. The passing statistics are quite funny too...146 passes to our 575. They did cause problems with long throw ins and set pieces but I honestly couldn't watch that every week. I took a couple of mates to the game and they were astonished when I told them Wycombe were seven points clear! Fair play to them it's obviously very effective.

Good game, especially first half where we passed the ball quite beautifully at times, carving out chance after chance.
A goal had to come and it was of great relief when it did. James Henry riding in to do what he does very nicely.??
Akinfenwa was a little foolish raising his hands in the melee a few minutes later and presented the ref with no option but to send him off as he was already booked. All good!?
After half-time, they were able to re-group and they posed a few problems of their own.
We looked a little leggy and notably, both Brannagan and Fosu seemed to lose a little of the sparkle that was so evident First-Half.
But we are not just some lightweight to be pushed around and we are quite happy to mix it with some dark arts of our own.
I must admit though, that the full time whistle couldn’t come quick enough for me as they carved out a few half decent chances in the last few minutes.
3 points in the bag against the current league leaders? I’ll take that Thank you very much.
Merry f*****g Christmas everyone!!!??

Interesting comment of their forum.

worst ref I have ever seen
had the same view from one of their supporters in the pub just now. told him the view around me was the ref did well! when we discussed league one refereeing he was largely happy, I think it's not good.

is that just that each side will just see it differently or that wycombe's 'dark arts' need a weaker ref to be effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom