Home Match Day Thread +++ 21/12/19 OUFC v Wycombe Wanderers +++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top of the league? but....

I have to admit that the chairboys are very good at what they do.Top because they are well drilled. Shame it's not the slightest bit 'good to watch' nor is it football. I'd hate to have to watch that sh*te every week.

From our perspective it was a pleasant change to see a fair referee who was not easily conned (or blatantly biased) we don't often get them at the Kashstad. Giving the first free kick against wycombe after about 30 seconds sort of gives us hope, I guess.

All in all not a bad game, they defended well, Fekkin Enwa got what he deserved ....but we need to do some shooting training. 80% possession and only 1 goal is not really good enough...

Oh, it must have been nice for them to see a crowd though....

Have a happy Christmas

OM159
Hats off to Ainsworth for coaching that dross to top of L1. They are vv well organised, but zero class. I'll be amazed if they go up. The sending off made no difference. We were all over them before Akinfenwa was sent off.

It was a strange game today, we looked very assured and comfortable but seemed to play in almost slow motion at times. Also thought our decision making 20-25 yards from goal was generally poor. We had some digs at goal (Brannagan and Fosu from memory) when perhaps a touch more patience may have created better openings and also felt the trigger could have been pulled (Henry ?) rather than playing an extra ball sideways. We used Cadden to great effect though but I really do feel we should be testing opposition keepers much more from some of those positions we get in down the right, whether it’s from a better delivery or from teammates making better movement across defenders.

It was a strange game today, we looked very assured and comfortable but seemed to play in almost slow motion at times. Also thought our decision making 20-25 yards from goal was generally poor. We had some digs at goal (Brannagan and Fosu from memory) when perhaps a touch more patience may have created better openings and also felt the trigger could have been pulled (Henry ?) rather than playing an extra ball sideways. We used Cadden to great effect though but I really do feel we should be testing opposition keepers much more from some of those positions we get in down the right, whether it’s from a better delivery or from teammates making better movement across defenders.
Yes we’re lacking a bit of a cutting edge with Fosu not being quite as incisive at the moment. A really nippy forward would be good in January

Not wishing to sound a know it all but I do have a contact who is associated with Dickie on a professional level and as I understand the situation there is genuine championship interest in him but Dickie is concerned that he’d spend too much time on bench in the championship and is leaning towards staying, at least in this window. He’s genuinely enjoying the rich form he's in and also the team. Those closest to him are favouring seeing the season through with us, see where Oxford are come May and then review the situation again. It was also mentioned to me that Dickie is not a good substitute. In other words, unlike some footballers, he takes it badly if he isn’t selected to start.

I've heard exactly the same, and Brannagan is in the same situation. Both, I think, will stay until the summer at least.

I thought we looked a lesser side after Gorrin went off, yes I know we ran the game but something is missing when he’s not playing. Also thought fossy showed a lot of intent but never really got going. Mackie was immense again and proved he is the master of sh!thousery! Things looking up again after the loss at Dongs but tbh I think that done us a bit of a favour in that the unbeaten run was becoming a bit of a monkey on our back. What a brilliant flag of the “The Gaffer”, whoever sorted that out deserves a medal, Jim will be so proud of his Yellows right now, as we all should be.
Up the Manor!

Wycombe tactics were probably spot on. They lost a forward but stayed 4-4-1 so their defensive set up didn’t change. They were prepared to stay defensive for 75 mins, waste time, conserve energy and were very effective in keeping us outside their box. It’s not hard to see why they don’t concede many. Then with 15 mins to go they gambled, knowing that we would tire having played on Wednesday against one of the best sides in the world. Fortunately it came to nothing. I still think losing Cadden who was probably our best attacking threat today will be a huge loss unless we can find another Gavin Whyte or a full back in the Cadden/Baldock mould.

I thought mackie was average at best. Cadden on the other hand, what a player.

Agree totally on Cadden. My comment on JM being immense was aimed more at his presence on the pitch rather than anything he did with the ball, he is a wind up merchant of the highest order and it won’t be long before a journeyman defender puts him out for a month or so, he does make me smile though...

I thought we looked a lesser side after Gorrin went off, yes I know we ran the game but something is missing when he’s not playing. Also thought fossy showed a lot of intent but never really got going. Mackie was immense again and proved he is the master of sh!thousery! Things looking up again after the loss at Dongs but tbh I think that done us a bit of a favour in that the unbeaten run was becoming a bit of a monkey on our back. What a brilliant flag of the “The Gaffer”, whoever sorted that out deserves a medal, Jim will be so proud of his Yellows right now, as we all should be.
Up the Manor!

It was clever of Robbo to sub Gorrin. He’s a master at toe ending the ball on the stretch but in doing so is always liable to make the odd mis-timed one and I noticed Wycombe making a few half hearted appeals, after he’d been booked, for the softest of challenges from him. They were easy to ignore for the ref but you sensed Wycombe, with their dark arts, were going to target him second half.

I thought mackie was average at best. Cadden on the other hand, what a player.

I agree. Mackie wasn’t great in a footballing sense, ‘immense’ is definitely over stretching it but he has a value in terms of the bigger picture of achieving the result. Cadden saw loads of the ball and in some fantastic areas but I’m scratching my head as to whether our lack of end product is down to the movement in the box or his delivery. We were over loading down that right flank constantly and there has to be more to show from it than a solitary goal.

Around 5/6 young Wycombe thought they would be brave/silly, until a few young Oxford took up the invitation. Handbags.

I was in the city centre before the game and 7/8 Burberry clad Wycscum boys were walking along Cornmarket singing 'Here coz its Wycombe, you're only here coz it's Wycombe'!! Tossers!!

Henry is our top scorer, for several seasons.

He scored the goal today = three points.

No coincidence our league run ended without him in the team.

Sorry to single you out, but Henry does get some really unwarranted stick on here.

He's class, on and off the ball. And without him last season we might well have gone down.

Watch his cross for Matt Taylor's equaliser the other week away to Portsmouth, the way he took the ball, pulled the trigger from 35 yards out wide - that was world class. Again, it got us the point.

Back off.

Just saying he had a poor game today by his standards which was justified with him admitting he wasn’t 100% fit.

Wycombe were a strange side, you could both see why they have done well and wonder how they are top at the same time. Not certain the sending off made a huge difference, Akinfenwa (never rated him myself) is only involved in certain phases of the game and we were dominant with him on the pitch, not like they lost much work rate with him going off and in some ways I think it made it even harder as they played even deeper and were even more cynical and negative with him gone.

Shame Dickie could well be off, the classiest centre back at this level, seems weird that he was being harangued only a year ago, he has improved so much since signing for us and the signing of him and Brannigan was one hell of a January transfer window, could well see a £5 million profit on it.

good point ref the progress of Dickie, it does show the coaching and management of the players is excellent, he is not alone in showing real development under Robinson.
be shame to see him go, but you cant argue he hasn’t earned a shot further up the chain, just hope he goes somewhere that is a real step forward and that we get at least £3m for him.

“ Mr Muscles “ was goaded says Ainsworth:

EMVpbMVWkAAw2X7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom