Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t care what people think about our current manager, what I care about is having this club where it belongs. We shouldn’t be losing games to Lincoln City and Bristol Rovers. No disrespect to them two clubs, but we have moved on a lot in the last 5 years, while they have stood still.

I want to see my team/players perform to the best of there abilities, and I understand they are not machines, and will occasionally have a bad day. Since Plymouth away last season, we look as if we’ve dropped off a cliff, and the manager has not addressed the weaknesses the team has. We’ve had an entire summer to get these fixed, but a lot of people are fed up with KR signing shall we say risky players, rather than crocks. As usual it comes back and bites him on the backside, we are pissed off because he never seems to learn from his mistakes, and doesn’t like to take responsibility, and shifts the blame elsewhere. We are not unlucky with injuries, as other posters have said, they are players that have a history of not being able to stay fit, or get injured too often. This manager has had the biggest budget given to him, that this club has ever had, and he has squandered it on poor signings. (Pissed it up the wall)! The players are not playing for KR anymore, the dressing room is not with him, and once this happens, it only ends one way.

We as a club need a new manager in with a DOF, and a couple of new coaches, for various roles. We need someone with fresh ideas, and someone that can achieve the boards and fans ambitions. We have a new stadium on the horizon, top training facilities. It would be a shame to be languishing in Lge 1 forever in a day.

Everyone on here knows my stance, but the sooner it’s sorted the better for both KR and the football club.
an opportunity to debate so i'll get involved.

I mentioned the budget in a previous post but in case you missed it my take is this, yes it has increased BUT by and large for the same pool of players due largely to silly money being paid to average players at best in the Leagues above. An example i gave was having to pay £5.500 per week for a 20 year old.

What makes you say the players are not playing for him? have recent incomings not stated the Manager was indeed a large reason they joined? what evidence if any do you have of this. Why would Cam turn down opportunity to play at a higher level on better terms (at the time ) to stay with a manager he doesn't want to play for.

I think a lot of the stuff written of late is born out of frustration and dare i say too high expectation, I still don't know why anyone felt or expected us to be a Top 2 team this season, hope for Yes expect it or even demand it No.

I said before a ball was kicked that this league is going to be tough this season with 12-14 teams vying for Top 6, I even suggested trying to name a bottom 4 with any real conviction. Nobody would name say Accrington among their top 6 prediction but they are a decent side, good on the eye and well capable of beating anyone on their day. That some fans then expect that any team in this League is going to just lay down allowing us to tickle their tummy is baffling.

I guess not being able to attend games affords me the luxury of watching from a relaxed mode default, it always allows me to instantly take a step back at the final whistle rather than reflecting on it via the journey home etc.

With eyes firmly on the positive bus, does anyone seriously believe that we have adequately adjusted the style of our squad of players, since the Blackpool playoff defeat - as per Robinson’s own admission?

Have we added the physicality and athletic players that he earmarked?

I’m flabbergasted at some of the blind faith that some poses. This current squad of crocs and misfits is absolutely miles off what is required.

Serious question - has anyone started questioning just why we are unable to attract ‘oven baked’, senior pros from leagues 1 & 2? Has the penny dropped? Why don’t we get the Cadden’s, Asante’s, Stockton’s of this world?

Surely nobody is naive enough to believe it’s purely down to money and agents, surely?
Why do these types of players not want to play for KR? Interested to know.

I mentioned the budget in a previous post but in case you missed it my take is this, yes it has increased BUT by and large for the same pool of players due largely to silly money being paid to average players at best in the Leagues above. An example i gave was having to pay £5.500 per week for a 20 year old.

What makes you say the players are not playing for him? have recent incomings not stated the Manager was indeed a large reason they joined? what evidence if any do you have of this. Why would Cam turn down opportunity to play at a higher level on better terms (at the time ) to stay with a manager he doesn't want to play for.

I think a lot of the stuff written of late is born out of frustration and dare i say too high expectation, I still don't know why anyone felt or expected us to be a Top 2 team this season, hope for Yes expect it or even demand it No.

I said before a ball was kicked that this league is going to be tough this season with 12-14 teams vying for Top 6, I even suggested trying to name a bottom 4 with any real conviction. Nobody would name say Accrington among their top 6 prediction but they are a decent side, good on the eye and well capable of beating anyone on their day. That some fans then expect that any team in this League is going to just lay down allowing us to tickle their tummy is baffling.

I guess not being able to attend games affords me the luxury of watching from a relaxed mode default, it always allows me to instantly take a step back at the final whistle rather than reflecting on it via the journey home etc.

A balanced football squad ready for the first league game of the season isn’t too high of an expectation.

A balanced football squad ready for the first league game of the season isn’t too high of an expectation.
And it’s not the first season it’s happened either, the last 2 seasons before this he's left business late and left us woefully imbalanced. The same is going to happen again. He doesn’t learn from his mistakes and this is from someone who likes the guy and everything he does for the community and how he represents us as a club and the appreciation he shows the fans, but sometimes hope truths need to be given and he’s failed to build a balanced squad again. How many more chances should he be given?

Spot on

Again if this is happening Karl signing players red flagged by the medical team, it just proves once again how we need somebody above Karl behind the scenes on a day to day basis.
Worth noting that we were a matter of details from signing Duncan Watmore in the summer of 2020, that deal got pulled by KR due to doubts over his fitness (had 2 ACL injuries prior) and ever since then he’s played nearly 75 times in the division above us

Anybody here think that our team is not a team anymore
Could it be that the Taylor’s of this world see some 20 year old kid getting more per week than him and Brannagan being our highest paid player ever has an effect on the rest of the team surelysome jealousy in there

With eyes firmly on the positive bus, does anyone seriously believe that we have adequately adjusted the style of our squad of players, since the Blackpool playoff defeat - as per Robinson’s own admission?

Have we added the physicality and athletic players that he earmarked?

I’m flabbergasted at some of the blind faith that some poses. This current squad of crocs and misfits is absolutely miles off what is required.

Serious question - has anyone started questioning just why we are unable to attract ‘oven baked’, senior pros from leagues 1 & 2? Has the penny dropped? Why don’t we get the Cadden’s, Asante’s, Stockton’s of this world?

Surely nobody is naive enough to believe it’s purely down to money and agents, surely?
A long winded response but felt it necessary.

It’s not blind faith. I/we are not blind to the issues you describe. Nor is there a justification for all of them. However, not everyone reacts the same way to things going against you or shall we just say ‘adversity’. It’s not my style to throw my arms in the air and say… ‘well that’s it. Game over’. It’s part of the debate to have those who focus on things we’ve done well and vocalise reasons to not be so critical and move on. It’s equally blind to ignore that part of the conversation as it is to refuse the problem entirely, in my opinion.

While there are many things we’ve seemingly got wrong, there have also been days in the window that have gone well beyond my expectations. I maintain that our signings, in the main, have been ill-timed, but with excellent credentials. Example - Did I care Murphy was nursing a little injury when he signed? No. I was in disbelief we got him. Do I wish we’d managed the injury better? Of course I do because now I don’t see him in an Oxford shirt until… when?! But I won’t be made to feel stupid by anyone for seeing both sides of that coin - or any other.

I like KR. No surprises there. But my main frustration is to think how much better a manager he could be and where he could take us with a few less blind spots - perhaps he needs a different right hand man that challenges him. A bit like when a boxer gets too comfortable with their trainer and needs pushing in another way. Maybe that’s his limitation and why he’ll always manage at this level. Maybe.

But it has become absolutely exhausting to try and provide a more positive outlook on the forum against this constant barrage of views to the contrary that seem desperate to write us off and don’t draw any positives from anywhere. Example - Karl might be a reason people didn’t join - I’m open to that idea. But can we not also have the debate while considering he’s a big part of why Brannagan is still here and why a number of players have actually come here and referenced his influence on them?

It’s become a tiring task when you are simply ridiculed for offering any possible opposition to why things aren’t that bad in their eyes. If a section of the members would rather just have a place to moan uncontested, it’s sure heading that way!

A long winded response but felt it necessary.

It’s not blind faith. I/we are not blind to the issues you describe. Nor is there a justification for all of them. However, not everyone reacts the same way to things going against you or shall we just say ‘adversity’. It’s not my style to throw my arms in the air and say… ‘well that’s it. Game over’. It’s part of the debate to have those who focus on things we’ve done well and vocalise reasons to not be so critical and move on. It’s equally blind to ignore that part of the conversation as it is to refuse the problem entirely, in my opinion.

While there are many things we’ve seemingly got wrong, there have also been days in the window that have gone well beyond my expectations. I maintain that our signings, in the main, have been ill-timed, but with excellent credentials. Example - Did I care Murphy was nursing a little injury when he signed? No. I was in disbelief we got him. Do I wish we’d managed the injury better? Of course I do because now I don’t see him in an Oxford shirt until… when?! But I won’t be made to feel stupid by anyone for seeing both sides of that coin - or any other.

I like KR. No surprises there. But my main frustration is to think how much better a manager he could be and where he could take us with a few less blind spots - perhaps he needs a different right hand man that challenges him. A bit like when a boxer gets too comfortable with their trainer and needs pushing in another way. Maybe that’s his limitation and why he’ll always manage at this level. Maybe.

But it has become absolutely exhausting to try and provide a more positive outlook on the forum against this constant barrage of views to the contrary that seem desperate to write us off and don’t draw any positives from anywhere. Example - Karl might be a reason people didn’t join - I’m open to that idea. But can we not also have the debate while considering he’s a big part of why Brannagan is still here and why a number of players have actually come here and referenced his influence on them?

It’s become a tiring task when you are simply ridiculed for offering any possible opposition to why things aren’t that bad in their eyes. If a section of the members would rather just have a place to moan uncontested, it’s sure heading that way!
For me, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether that aligns with what I think isn’t important. Everyone is going to have differing views on every subject. However nobody can deny we’ve had imbalanced squads for 3 seasons now and not improved in the areas that have held us back. Robinson has to take responsibility for that & imo fails to do so and even worse fails to learn from his own mistakes

For me, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether that aligns with what I think isn’t important. Everyone is going to have differing views on every subject. However nobody can deny we’ve had imbalanced squads for 3 seasons now and not improved in the areas that have held us back. Robinson has to take responsibility for that & imo fails to do so and even worse fails to learn from his own mistakes
A good example and highlights m point well. I think the majority of us would agree but people shouldn’t be shot down in anger for pointing out that despite those squad imbalances, we’ve finished all of those seasons with good points hauls and 2 play off campaigns. That’s not blindness or anything alike; that’s purely providing balance because we’ve made it work to a degree. Question is how much better could we be with that issue resolved? The painful thing for me is to see Karl disadvantaging himself - you just want to shake him! But I don’t like to see anyone suggest he’s clueless, selfish blah blah blah. Rubbish and unwarranted.

Last edited:
I have said on here several times, we need to wait until the end of the window to judge it. I'll stick to that and still continue to back KR at the moment.
My biggest frustration is the lack of left back reinforcements, which should've been first on the agenda. We played 3 months without Seddon last year because he was so bad.

Its been a poor start - results wise and performances. Annoyingly these are games we should be accumulating more points in, as they are perceived easier ones. Still, no point being negative at this stage. Ask the questions absolutely. Point scoring through negative rhetoric - no chance.

Nobody ever won a league in August. We do need to get some decent signings in though and make sure we don't give ourselves some silly points difference we have to claw back on the play offs.

Sorry for not responding immediately, I've been enjoying a lovely day with my children and away from the toxic environment that this forum becomes when the chips are down.

Of course I'm disappointed by the results and performances this season, and no one wants to see any player injured. These are the things that can destroy a young players future so I'm not sure that anyone should be reveling just to score points against the manager.

Yanic Wildschut was incredibly unlucky. No one's denying that he wasn't match fit, but 45 mins in a preseason friendly is exactly what is needed to build towards full fitness. If he'd had a pull or a tweak then you could argue that he'd pushed, or had been pushed, too far too soon. But the extent of his injury was so severe that no one could have predicted it, and it could have happened to the fittest player. It was a total freak accident.

Josh Murphy had gone through all of the tests, and the tightness he experienced was put down as nothing more than being a little rusty. No one from the medical team or the player, had any concerns about playing. Had his injury happened in isolation then I doubt anyone would have even mentioned it.

Marcus Browne has been in excellent condition. Probably the fastest, fittest and most powerful player through all preseason tests. However, he has also been one of the most fouled players so far this season and teams are clearly targeting him. His injury couldn't have been prevented.

Jodi Jones has been through more tests than any player in recent years. His contract was held back pending the outcome of more vigorous tests and he got the all clear from every one. He had a little tweak, and off the back of everything else, was rested yesterday. That is a sensible precaution, and again, in isolation, this would not be mentioned.

Sam Baldock is the only injury that could have been predicted, and it was a mistake to leave it so late to get a replacement in. Unfortunately, Joseph wasn't available until late in the window and our permanent targets have been harder to get.

The full backs are a problem, but not to the extent that some are saying. We've generally looked more solid across the back, and I think the criticism aimed at our full backs is partially due to having ineffective wingers. I'm also not sure that we need to big ugly enforcer in the middle of the park. I think that McGuane plays the deeper midfield role exceptionally well. What we're missing is someone like Kane who can dictate play rather than hitting long diagonal passes etc. Brannagan always gives 100% and I think Bate will come good, but end product hasn't been good enough as yet.

Robinson is far from perfect, and he let's himself down at times with his post match comments. But I think that he does this to protect his players as I'm sure there would be dozens rushing on here to accuse him of throwing players under the bus if he didn't. But there's no denying that we've already lost at least 4 points this season (draw v BR and win v LT) and can't afford to lose many more. We need to find our spark, everyone needs to step up and respond. Anything but a win on Saturday will put KR under huge pressure, and we probably need more than a scrappy win - although that will do for now.

We then have a huge 10 days to get 4/5 players in who are pretty much oven ready. Do that, get a bit of fight and belief back (on and off the pitch) and we could still have a big September that gets us back on track. Get this wrong and we all know the way that story ends.
For someone who says they work in the Prison Service you sure do have a lot of optimism in people that keep making the same stupid mistakes and then blaming others for the outcome. Some people just aren't capable of learning from their mistakes, would have thought you of all people would appreciate and recognise that

A good example and highlights m point well. I think the majority of us would agree but people shouldn’t be shot down in anger for pointing out that despite those squad imbalances, we’ve finished all of those seasons with good points hauls and 2 play off campaigns. That’s not blindness or anything alike; that’s purely providing balance because we’ve made it work to a degree. Question is how much better could we be with that issue resolved? The painful thing for me is to see Karl disadvantaging himself - you just want to shake him! But I don’t like to see anyone suggest he’s clueless, selfish blah blah blah. Rubbish and unwarranted.
We got away with it as one season was cut short so didn’t test our full need for squad depth. Our squad depth has never been right in certain areas. I really like him as a person and any criticism of him is not personal but if by the end of this window it ends with no replacement LB & RB at the bare minimum who make us stronger then I’m afraid we are destined for midtable at best & that’s not going to shine favourably on KR. We’ve had a semi easy start to the season. The tougher fixtures are still to come, which worries me.

She isn’t. Left a long time ago.

Very good at her job but had some *interesting* experiences…
Sarah Gooding was a legend in my eyes. The shop royally and multiply screwed up a shirt order for my son, and to make amends he was made one of the Boxing Day mascots for a trip back at Christmas. The result is that he is now (8? years later) a rusted on Us fan, despite being a 14 year-old from Perth, WA, who requests shirts etc from the shop for every birthday/christmas, and will probably become a season ticket holder when he's old enough to move to the UK!

For someone who says they work in the Prison Service you sure do have a lot of optimism in people that keep making the same stupid mistakes and then blaming others for the outcome. Some people just aren't capable of learning from their mistakes, would have thought you of all people would appreciate and recognise that
Interesting comment. Maybe his position as a member of the Prison Service gives him precisely the perspective that he has. Maybe it is a bit simplistic to draw parallels between the life choices of convicted criminals, and the strategic choices of a football manager? My limited understanding of the prison system is that it is founded on the concept of rehabilitation, not writing people off as fundamentally broken ...

Interesting comment. Maybe his position as a member of the Prison Service gives him precisely the perspective that he has. Maybe it is a bit simplistic to draw parallels between the life choices of convicted criminals, and the strategic choices of a football manager? My limited understanding of the prison system is that it is founded on the concept of rehabilitation, not writing people off as fundamentally broken ...
Well perhaps the analogy works.....founded on a principle of rehab but woefully underfunded/wasteful. Essentially the support from above is not there to provide the rehab effectively so behaviours do not change.
No DoF/change in approach at OUFC means we can expect the same thing in the next window and the next and the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom