Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Long looked slow today and was very disappointed with his performance, i usually think he’s solid and reliable but today definitely didn’t look sharp at all. Maybe not fully fit in all fairness. Seddon did ok for sure, can’t comment on his performance in the Derby game.

We need some pace, today we were very pedestrian and lacked spark until Bate came on, he looked quality and full of energy in his 20 mins or so on the pitch.

So yes, full backs and some strength and pace very much needed, especially in the attacking third too.

Great to get three points today when not really deserved 👍
Been saying it for a while regarding Long, I don’t mind him as backup and even as a CB but he is no longer a RB imo in the way we want to play and offers us very little outlet or width on that side. He very rarely goes on the overlap & Murphy was crying out for that option today & long was on the halfway line on his heels. His passing is pretty woeful for a professional footballer as well. Kesler Hayden or the young lad Bolton had on loan last season would be perfect for our style

Surely no one on here can still be thinking Sam Long should be first choice Right Back after that today.
I’ve been saying this for about a year or so no, got vilified for it too at points but if we want promotion then Long should be RB only in emergencies. He doesn’t suit the way we play & he doesn’t offer anything on that side, which in turn against a well organised side makes us so one dimensional it’s stupid. I think Robbo sees it too now thankfully.

Interesting what Nathan was saying about a change of shape for our next game and an unexpected choice in formation as part of that. Suggestion it might be a return to three at the back.

I do increasingly think Long is a better CB than RB and that he would be excellent as our third choice CB (either playing in a three or back up to Moore and Findlay).

If that’s the case both he and Brown could be back-up full-backs to, assuming we buy another FB or two.

As we all know, a new RB is clearly needed and personally I’d like a starter in, rather than a back-up.
I would imagine KR wants a starter too. But it’s basic man management not to come out and say that explicitly in an interview when our current full backs will need to play the next couple of games

Surely no one on here can still be thinking Sam Long should be first choice Right Back after that today.
His link up play with Murphy was really poor as was his positioning. He did really well hooking a cross in early in the second half but aside from that he struggled to get forward and back. A disappointing game is one thing but we saw this too often last year and I'm not sure if he will be able to rediscover his form of two seasons ago. A right back and striker will be key in concluding this window.

Against Derby, Seddon was terrible and Long was alright.
Today, Long was terrible and Seddon was alright.

But I think, for a really top notch League One side, both of them should be backups not starters.

I usually say that you should ignore most of the things that KR says in his interviews, because he tends to run his mouth and talk nonsense. But I hope today is an exception because he seemed to be talking about exactly the positions we need - RB, LB, ST!

Yeah Long really was crappie by not bombing forwards and defending instead of attacking.
There were a few moments they got in behind him in the second half, when he was attacking. What do people want in a fullback? A defender or a winger? You won't get someone good at both, especially at this level, and Long defensively is good enough to start, he just needs competition.

Yep hate to say it, as I am a fan, but Long really poor today (not alone).

I thought Seddon was one of our best players. Even put in good crosses today. I’m usually not convinced by him going forward.

We still need an LB but I’m glad Seddon had a good game. Competition is important.

Yeah Long really was crappie by not bombing forwards and defending instead of attacking.
There were a few moments they got in behind him in the second half, when he was attacking. What do people want in a fullback? A defender or a winger? You won't get someone good at both, especially at this level, and Long defensively is good enough to start, he just needs competition.
Not to overly criticise Long or question the merits of him in the squad in general (I love the guy and agree he just needs some competition) - but today he was poor.

Not just people getting in behind him. But his general quality of football was really sub-standard. Multiple times (in both halves) he gave the ball away through poor touches, mis-controlling the ball out of play, shanking crosses, under-hitting passes straight to the opposition. It was incredibly frustrating to watch.

Getting someone in who can play RB/RWB would both challenge him for his spot in the side, and mean we can flip to the 3-5-2 (with Long one of the three CB’s) to get more support for Taylor up front in certain games too.

I’ve been saying this for about a year or so no, got vilified for it too at points but if we want promotion then Long should be RB only in emergencies. He doesn’t suit the way we play & he doesn’t offer anything on that side, which in turn against a well organised side makes us so one dimensional it’s stupid. I think Robbo sees it too now
well someone good at both is exactly what we need if we want to get to the next level, long wasn’t even good at defending today & we would be better off admitting he’s a better choice at CB these days. He’s too slow and doesn’t support the winger which means we are one dimensional & then still gets down by players & his composure on the ball is shocking. He’s a CB now. Not a RB. Don’t have a problem with him being either as backup but wouldn’t be good enough in the championship.

I thought exactly the same thing. He has bulked up significantly since he played with us.
I noticed that Robbo went to speak to him and put an arm around him after the game.
Probably all about Smiths idiotic antics last season... You gotta love Karl. He has you pulling your hair out at times but little gestures like that does show his human side.

Thoughts on today, Mcguane is not a CDM, doesn’t have the defensive mind set and it wastes he’s ability carrying the ball forwards, FB’s and strikers are also essential, very impressed by Finlay looks solid with Moore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom