Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you’re both forgetting the style of football we play isn’t often reflected in statistics, we play fairly offensive/attractive style football, whereas Wycombes keeper probably comes out on top due to the thousands of water bottle breaks and fairly compact/defensive style. It’s not all in the numbers for me. Yes stevens had a poor season by his standards last season but again he was coming back from glandular fever which must have had some knock on effects.

That's not really the case these days, the metrics are far more advanced. The metric that Stevens fares really poorly takes into account shot position and location and rate of conceding compared to the norm. It's pretty specific to performances of the individual vs the mean, and he ranked pretty much last.

Stevens was excellent when he came in during the 20/21 season. Far higher clubs were looking at him
His form dipped last season due to recovering from illness I assume.
I am amazed that sone if our supporters seem to be writing him off.
Even De Gea had a real dip in form at Man U, but was apparently far better last season.
With a full pre season he should be fully fit and if he is back to his best then we have a very good keeper that should only get better.
Saying he should be sent out on loan isn't writing him off? He just shouldn't be our first choice keeper next season without showing a glimpse of that earlier form? And if we were to get another offer for him we should take it as, again, there is no guarantee he will get back there.

That's not really the case these days, the metrics are far more advanced. The metric that Stevens fares really poorly takes into account shot position and location and rate of conceding compared to the norm. It's pretty specific to performances of the individual vs the mean, and he ranked pretty much last.
Where did Stevens rank amongst the keepers in the 20/21 season? i would imagine he would have been comfortably inside the top 6/7, if he isn't then we can all see that the stats don't tell the whole story as he was fantastic that season.

Think you’re both forgetting the style of football we play isn’t often reflected in statistics, we play fairly offensive/attractive style football, whereas Wycombes keeper probably comes out on top due to the thousands of water bottle breaks and fairly compact/defensive style. It’s not all in the numbers for me. Yes stevens had a poor season by his standards last season but again he was coming back from glandular fever which must have had some knock on effects.

You are over complicating it - we are talking about a man keeping a ball out of a net. Absolutely nothing to do with offensiveness, defensiveness, water breaks, what a load of old twaddle that is. Where's the relevance in any of that rubbish when Stevens' glaring weakness is low shots from medium to long distance across his body - elementary goalkeeping and positioning.

Where did Stevens rank amongst the keepers in the 20/21 season? i would imagine he would have been comfortably inside the top 6/7, if he isn't then we can all see that the stats don't tell the whole story as he was fantastic that season.
Not sure as Opta only started releasing that data for free last season, but yeah probably well. Nobody is denying how good he was that season, but if we start next season and there is no change to Stevens' form then we'll only have ourselves to blame. I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong and we see the Jack of old, but it's a huge huge risk to take.

We should be sending him out to play a full season elsewhere then and regain his form and fitness.

If Stevens wasn’t “one of our own” there would be outrage that we are going into the season with him as our no.1.

We got promoted with Benjy Buchel in goal, so it can be done, but we are going into next season taking a massive risk by having one of the worst gk’s in the league last season taking the gloves.
Outrage? Slight use of emotive language there to exaggerate your point! Outrage that a young keeper who was developing quite well, got a debilitating illness, struggled to regain form afterwards but is back after a good break to be our keeper? I don't think many would be outraged. If he is as poor as you say he is, who would take him on loan?

I think the ire towards our keepers is unfair to be honest. Last season both were playing behind a defence so comically bad at times that if we had Lev Yashin crossed with Gordon Banks in goal we'd still have conceded a s**t load.

Add in illness and it's not a great mix.

Having said that, this season it's time to step up. Morecambe this season, Wycombe in the playoff final etc showed us what having a truly capable keeper can do for a teams confidence. Jack needs to get back to that level else there's a decision to be made.

On the goalkeeper front. I thought Jordan Archer was a better than both Stevens and Eastwood.

Shame he only came here for a couple of weeks.
I would've taken him on a permanent given the choice but he was probably too good for us at the time. Having said that, he's only played about 12 matches after his his short stint with us and is currently at QPR with little chance of first team action. He joined Fulham after he departed here but don't think he played for them and was also at Middlesborough briefly. A player of his caliber could easily play week in week out as a number 1 at League One level so I'm not sure why he's filling in the blanks at all these big clubs without a prospect of getting first team football.

I would've taken him on a permanent given the choice but he was probably too good for us at the time. Having said that, he's only played about 12 matches after his his short stint with us and is currently at QPR with little chance of first team action. He joined Fulham after he departed here but don't think he played for them and was also at Middlesborough briefly. A player of his caliber could easily play week in week out as a number 1 at League One level so I'm not sure why he's filling in the blanks at all these big clubs without a prospect of getting first team football.
$$$$$$$$$$

I think the ire towards our keepers is unfair to be honest. Last season both were playing behind a defence so comically bad at times that if we had Lev Yashin crossed with Gordon Banks in goal we'd still have conceded a s**t load.

Add in illness and it's not a great mix.

Having said that, this season it's time to step up. Morecambe this season, Wycombe in the playoff final etc showed us what having a truly capable keeper can do for a teams confidence. Jack needs to get back to that level else there's a decision to be made.
Completely agree Stevens needs to get back to the level he was playing at season before and hopefully the illness is behind him now. Eastwood is more the capable to push him further, he was outstanding for many seasons.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. Time will tell, but I hope i'm correct here.

Happens every year Karl Robinson saids we’re gonna do business early. We no he’s talking poo. And then we all have a meltdown and we all end up being satisfied at the end of the window. Just the normal kr process

Wouldn't want to cast aspersions............I would expect that the club and Karl actually get off on what the reaction is on here.

OK guys, this is it !!
Very nearly at the 300 page mark. I am not going to be able to check in for a while so, when I do, we should be past the magical 300................
whether we've signed anybody or not is another matter........

Abit like tom Heaton went back to man United to replace Lee grant who never played it's all about the money both archer and Heaton are more than good enough to be first choice at a club

I'm a long way from thinking that Stevens should be loaned out or dropped, but there were some fundamental errors in his game last season and he needs to make improvements if he is to achieve the success we all expected of him a year ago.

His positioning was poor, and he seemed to take an extra half a second to set himself before attempting a save. This meant that he was often beaten by shots across him, or snap shots around the box that would have been meat and drink to him the season before.

We conceded very few worldies last season, many were 2 or 3 feet inside the posts, and it often felt like a decent shot on target was enough to score rather than strikers being under pressure to get the perfect shot away.

This could gave been down to confidence, and undoubtedly his illness had an impact on his form, but it may equally be down to some basic fundamental issues with how he sets up. The issues are similar to Easty when he was out of form so it may also be a coaching issue in not getting things right in training.

Either way, I hope that the break and a full preseason will help both keepers regain the form that we know they're capable of. If Stevens finds the form of 20/21 and Easty is on the top of his game then our entire defence suddenly looks far more settled and assured.

I know they say a goalkeeper is only as good as the defence, and it’s true to a point. I just felt Archer was a bit more vocal, and commanding in the box. He looked far more comfortable, and confident than Stevens or Eastwood.

Eastwood has been a good servant, and he’s been bloody fantastic a lot of the time, but as you get older, your judgement, and decision making along with reflexes slowly decline. Soon it will be time to say sorry Easty but we must part ways, and that will be a sad moment, but the correct call.

Stevens has a lot to prove, and we know he had the flu last year, but he needs to step up, and be more vocal with his defence, and rule/ command his 18yrd box. He also needs to work on his kicking and distribution badly.

I do feel we should be looking for a good young keeper, but it’s not a priority at this moment in time.

Maybe tomorrow evenings friendly might show a player or two that we don’t know about.

Why does discussing who takes the roll of Mcnally rile you this much :ROFLMAO: its a football forum mate lighten up
Season incoming mate
I'm a long way from thinking that Stevens should be loaned out or dropped, but there were some fundamental errors in his game last season and he needs to make improvements if he is to achieve the success we all expected of him a year ago.

His positioning was poor, and he seemed to take an extra half a second to set himself before attempting a save. This meant that he was often beaten by shots across him, or snap shots around the box that would have been meat and drink to him the season before.

We conceded very few worldies last season, many were 2 or 3 feet inside the posts, and it often felt like a decent shot on target was enough to score rather than strikers being under pressure to get the perfect shot away.

This could gave been down to confidence, and undoubtedly his illness had an impact on his form, but it may equally be down to some basic fundamental issues with how he sets up. The issues are similar to Easty when he was out of form so it may also be a coaching issue in not getting things right in training.

Either way, I hope that the break and a full preseason will help both keepers regain the form that we know they're capable of. If Stevens finds the form of 20/21 and Easty is on the top of his game then our entire defence suddenly looks far more settled and assured.

I know they say a goalkeeper is only as good as the defence, and it’s true to a point. I just felt Archer was a bit more vocal, and commanding in the box. He looked far more comfortable, and confident than Stevens or Eastwood.

Eastwood has been a good servant, and he’s been bloody fantastic a lot of the time, but as you get older, your judgement, and decision making along with reflexes slowly decline. Soon it will be time to say sorry Easty but we must part ways, and that will be a sad moment, but the correct call.

Stevens has a lot to prove, and we know he had the flu last year, but he needs to step up, and be more vocal with his defence, and rule/ command his 18yrd box.

I do feel we should be looking for a good young keeper, but it’s not a priority at this moment in time.
Tbh I was a bit nervous about Archer as he hadn’t played that much and if my memory serves me correct ( which isn’t that often ) someone posted a video of him which didn’t show him in the best light of things as a GK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom