Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me unambitious, but I would be kind of terrified if we are actually offering seven figure fees for players.
Unless our owners are starting to donate money to the club - but to this point, I don't think they are, are they? Everything is still going onto our balance sheet as debt, I think?

We make an operating loss of about £5m a year now, I think? Which we then offset by player sales (sometimes partially, sometimes - like 2019/20 - so much so that we make a profit). If we start spending on transfers so that we're breaking even in that market, or losing rather than making money, then our debt's going to start to soar by £5m+ a year.

Not terminal as long as our investors are still on board. But what if Stratfield Brake falls through? Will they still want to stick around then? And who the hell would want to buy a business that loses £5m+ a season, and has almost no assets outside of its playing squad??

It all kind of feels like we're pushing all our chips into the middle......and that is making me uncomfortable, because I'm looking around at our competitors, and I'm not 100% we've got the winning hand......
I understand where you are coming from but think that horse has bolted.
As has been said on here before by some, it appears a bit if a sh1t or bust strategy. We need the ground to go through.
If not NMcW has said that we have nowhere to play without the new ground.
If the new ground is rejected I can't see where the club would be able to go ( other than reforming lower down the pyramid)

Call me unambitious, but I would be kind of terrified if we are actually offering seven figure fees for players.
Unless our owners are starting to donate money to the club - but to this point, I don't think they are, are they? Everything is still going onto our balance sheet as debt, I think?

We make an operating loss of about £5m a year now, I think? Which we then offset by player sales (sometimes partially, sometimes - like 2019/20 - so much so that we make a profit). If we start spending on transfers so that we're breaking even in that market, or losing rather than making money, then our debt's going to start to soar by £5m+ a year.

Not terminal as long as our investors are still on board. But what if Stratfield Brake falls through? Will they still want to stick around then? And who the hell would want to buy a business that loses £5m+ a season, and has almost no assets outside of its playing squad??

It all kind of feels like we're pushing all our chips into the middle......and that is making me uncomfortable, because I'm looking around at our competitors, and I'm not 100% we've got the winning hand......
I’m told we offered 750k for Hardie. The bid for Szmodics in January was in a similar ball park. We also paid circa half a million to Boro for Browne and spent another half a million simply loaning Kane for a season. We’re already spending big money by the club’s standards. Josh Murphy’s deal across two years between wages and signing on / agent fees is also very large, and Cameron Brannagan now has the biggest contract the club has ever given a player in its history. We’ve spent all this while turning down millions in bids spread across several players since last summer. The net swing between what we’ve spent and what we’ve turned down is eye watering. This is why people should have expectations. “Oh, League One is okay, there are some big names here” needs to go as a mentality.

Now, as for your general concerns re sustainability, debt, ownership in the event of SB falling through etc, my opinion on the matter is this: Oxford United could well die if the move doesn’t happen. Again, and I want to stress this enormously, that is purely my opinion. I have good reasons for forming said opinion, but it’s still an opinion none the less, not to be taken as fact or gospel. I cannot see a world where anybody else takes the club on if SB fails, because if this proposal doesn’t come off then I don’t know where another opportunity comes from. There is no possibility to stay at the current ground beyond 2026 unless it’s on a short-term basis, and the spiralling costs of the rent / service charges etc will bury the club regardless. I am 99.9% certain that the football club cannot actually afford to not move. It cannot survive.

However, it is worth remembering that in the here and now, things are going well and progressing broadly as hoped. There is positivity and as such, the board is investing enormously, because there are currently no reasons to believe that we won’t get to where we want to be. We have arguably the wealthiest owners outside of the Premier League - they are that collectively rich. I still don’t think most people get it on that front. They are still smart rather than frivolous, but my God, if we get to the Championship in the next couple of years and all is going well on the stadium project, everybody had better strap themselves in for one hell of a ride. These people are serious. They’re really, really serious.

But… we need the stadium. In that regard it really doesn’t matter whether they’re spending handsomely (but not recklessly) as they wait for a decision, or whether they tighten the belt and try to just keep us in the division. That won’t do anybody any good anyway - Bakrie is on camera saying that he believes Championship football is a very important component of getting the stadium to happen. It’s all linked. We need to be right up there banging on the door year after year, because that might just be the deal breaker, and being up there costs money. Not spending money is probably far more dangerous for the club’s future than spending it.

To use your own metaphor, if we don’t push the chips into the middle of the table then I really don’t know where we’re planning on putting them.

I’m told we offered 750k for Hardie. The bid for Szmodics in January was in a similar ball park. We also paid circa half a million to Boro for Browne and spent another half a million simply loaning Kane for a season. We’re already spending big money by the club’s standards. Josh Murphy’s deal across two years between wages and signing on / agent fees is also very large, and Cameron Brannagan now has the biggest contract the club has ever given a player in its history. We’ve spent all this while turning down millions in bids spread across several players since last summer. The net swing between what we’ve spent and what we’ve turned down is eye watering. This is why people should have expectations. “Oh, League One is okay, there are some big names here” needs to go as a mentality.

Now, as for your general concerns re sustainability, debt, ownership in the event of SB falling through etc, my opinion on the matter is this: Oxford United could well die if the move doesn’t happen. Again, and I want to stress this enormously, that is purely my opinion. I have good reasons for forming said opinion, but it’s still an opinion none the less, not to be taken as fact or gospel. I cannot see a world where anybody else takes the club on if SB fails, because if this proposal doesn’t come off then I don’t know where another opportunity comes from. There is no possibility to stay at the current ground beyond 2026 unless it’s on a short-term basis, and the spiralling costs of the rent / service charges etc will bury the club regardless. I am 99.9% certain that the football club cannot actually afford to not move. It cannot survive.

However, it is worth remembering that in the here and now, things are going well and progressing broadly as hoped. There is positivity and as such, the board is investing enormously, because there are currently no reasons to believe that we won’t get to where we want to be. We have arguably the wealthiest owners outside of the Premier League - they are that collectively rich. I still don’t think most people get it on that front. They are still smart rather than frivolous, but my God, if we get to the Championship in the next couple of years and all is going well on the stadium project, everybody had better strap themselves in for one hell of a ride. These people are serious. They’re really, really serious.

But… we need the stadium. In that regard it really doesn’t matter whether they’re spending handsomely (but not recklessly) as they wait for a decision, or whether they tighten the belt and try to just keep us in the division. That won’t do anybody any good anyway - Bakrie is on camera saying that he believes Championship football is a very important component of getting the stadium to happen. It’s all linked. We need to be right up there banging on the door year after year, because that might just be the deal breaker, and being up there costs money. Not spending money is probably far more dangerous for the club’s future than spending it.

To use your own metaphor, if we don’t push the chips into the middle of the table then I really don’t know where we’re planning on putting them.
Do you think our owners have ambitions to get to the premier League (sounds a daft question) i mean for example if we got promoted this season do you think our owners instead of having a championship team in 2026 to open a new stadium (hopefully) we could be opening a new stadium after just being promoted to the top league

So I appreciate the logic of the argument, even if it doesn't do much to reduce my anxiety!

If the rationale is that there's no way we can survive without Stratfield Brake, regardless of how much debt we're in - then sure, why not spend a bunch of Bakrie/Thohir's money?

But if that's the case, it does kind of relegate what happens on the pitch to a bit of a sideshow. We're all worrying about left backs and backup strikers and Cambridge but in reality we're saying that's just marginal stuff on the edges. Might help, but the real work that's going to determine the future of the club is going on in council rooms in Kidlington.......

Suspect the board saw this window as a good time for a focused investment in the squad. We had a strong core of players we genuinely wanted and the rest was a blank canvas - I.e. no ties to players who bring nothing to the table. We needed this investment to transform us from nearly men/underdog challengers to genuine contenders with the tools to have genuine belief it’s a realistic ambition - I.e. there can be no excuses. I don’t think it’ll be like this every window since this is all about building a squad that’s predominantly ours for the future and unequivocally capable of promotion within the next 2 seasons.
As a traditionalist I do cling onto the romance of nineties football and the notion that Oxford United are still perennial underdogs fighting the good fight. We'll never see the likes of it again; Nothing could beat your side equipped with brilliant players on average wages, terrible diets, leading less than ideal lifestyles and yet the attachment to those players will never be felt again.

Our most loved former players were homegrown or purchased for modest fees before they became heroes. If you were savvy enough as a football club you could sufficiently compete at the top level then too. However even then, historically it hasn't been in our nature to be the biggest spenders by signing players for £1 million so it does feel a little uncomfortable, yes.

Whether we like it or not, unless your scouting department and DoF (not that we have that luxury) are on the pulse of EVERY single target and their efficacy is on point, money will need to be spent. Heavily too in order to compete at the next level, consistently.

Whether we like it, it's probably essential to do it now and again simply in order to remain competitive.

You would think that would influence the decision, no new ground, no professional sports team in the county.

So I appreciate the logic of the argument, even if it doesn't do much to reduce my anxiety!

If the rationale is that there's no way we can survive without Stratfield Brake, regardless of how much debt we're in - then sure, why not spend a bunch of Bakrie/Thohir's money?

But if that's the case, it does kind of relegate what happens on the pitch to a bit of a sideshow. We're all worrying about left backs and backup strikers and Cambridge but in reality we're saying that's just marginal stuff on the edges. Might help, but the real work that's going to determine the future of the club is going on in council rooms in Kidlington.......
I am not sure that the league performance is marginal stuff on the edges.
It has been said that the owners want to get in big crowds to help in getting planning passed ( they have said on record that they wsnt Championship football)

100% my thoughts, maybe I am just risk adverse but I am uneasy with this idea of us suddenly having one of the top budgets - when we don’t own our ground and get at best 10k crowds. If this goes wrong with the owners it feels like it will go very wrong......on the flip side we get new stadium and get promoted and have higher value players to sell.

100% my thoughts, maybe I am just risk adverse but I am uneasy with this idea of us suddenly having one of the top budgets - when we don’t own our ground and get at best 10k crowds. If this goes wrong with the owners it feels like it will go very wrong......on the flip side we get new stadium and get promoted and have higher value players to sell.
I don't think we're at the position where if it all goes wrong we'd be completely screwed. If we had to sell, there are a decent amount of assets that would command a fee, and there aren't too many players who are on contracts with more than two years left to run. As Ryan said in his post the spending isn't reckless, there does seem to be logic to the money given, and The Model™ is still being adhered to. I'd be more worried if we were chucking money around to land average players.

Thanks for your post Ryan.

I’d say it’s got most people on here thinking! Sounds like we really are moving things up by more than a notch or two but there is a real risk, not necessarily in terms of money being available, but in the realisation of how much our future and future success potentially depends on SB.

I’m surprised if we have all our eggs in that one basket, as if it should be ultimately refused, then if there is a real chance that there would no more OUFC, surely we’d have other sites identified that we could look into further and pursue, in the same way our transfer targets move to other options?

On the plus side if the ground is successful we could be the next Bournemouth or Brentford, but with the risk of that not coming off we could be the next Bury!

Anyway if we are talking almost £500k-£1m bids for players I’m happy to enjoy the ride for now, but so hope it’s a long journey and not a very short one!

Do you think our owners have ambitions to get to the premier League (sounds a daft question) i mean for example if we got promoted this season do you think our owners instead of having a championship team in 2026 to open a new stadium (hopefully) we could be opening a new stadium after just being promoted to the top league

Yeah because we are going to be the RB Leipzig of English football, coming up from the lower Lges to the top flight, and get champions Lge football. We will get the stadium, and by the time we hit the Jackpot (premier Lge) we will have to expand the stadium to 35,000 because the demand for season tickets will be that high, because of our rapid rise, and our rock n roll football.

See I can be positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom