Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
But @LeftSideBoy said it was nothing serious....

I was listening to the game and the commentary team didn’t give any indication it was serious, and judging from the comments made about Wildschut’s body language after coming off, neither did the player..

It sounded as though he was more frustrated about having his debut cut short.

I was simply judging the situation, as it was, at the time. Enjoy your moment of sanctimony though. State of it.

Last edited:
Maybe our 'medicals' need improving
I posted this a little while ago but...

There is a common misconception within football that medicals are a ‘pass’ or ‘fail’. Typically medicals are graded (1-5) or as a descriptive. It’s about risk against your investment.

Signing a left back with no injury history on a free transfer having played 40 games a season over the last two seasons would score highly. There is little to no risk.

Comparatively Marcus Browne on a three year deal and spending say, £5k on weekly wages and a six figure transfer fee isn't an issue if he has a clean bill of health. That being said, if the same player is showing early onset/deterioration of (as an example) his left knee that would be for a club like OUFC a risk given it would cost the club over £1 million to fund the contract and transfer fee if he was hampered for the next three years. So in this instance the medical isn’t an automatic fail but rather a question of ‘is that a sound investment given the cost’?

Let's say the same player (I'm hypothesizing) can play 40 games a season, but there are doubts whether he can have a career in five years due to the deterioration of an ankle. It might be argued that getting two excellent years out of him before selling for a profit might be the agreed route and a better investment than keeping the player until he falls apart in five years. The crux of this is that there is a discussion about the risk with those undertaking the medical and the decision maker (board and/or Manager) who would usually take the medical advice and discard it or use to his advantage (or disadvantage).

Last edited:
But UTO did click a like on that original post saying half a season,now looks like an operation required
Lot of difference between September and January
UTO had subsequently said that he’s hearing the same e.g. out for half a season

If the news about Yanic is true there would be no point registering him in the squad for the first half of the season. Surely this means we need another winger in the building.

That is just some damn bad luck for both us and YW. I don't think this should change our priorities in the window, we still have Browne, Murphy, Bodin, Henry and Goodrham that can play out wide and IMO a first choice left back and competition for Long at right back is more important. I suspect we'll up our pursuit of Rak-Sakyi and perhaps offer a little extra to try and get it over the line or go back in for Whyte.

The medical team are always going to be under scrutiny when a new signing gets injured
It's not the medical team that should be scrutinised in that scenario... It's the people who think they know anything about sport science and entitle themselves to criticise the medical team. Majority of us, myself included, don't have a bloody clue.

This is just rotten luck. It's football. It happens. It might be we now up our efforts now to get Rak-Sakyi done as he will see there is an opportunity to play regularly at least until Xmas. Must admit I'm surprised nobody has blamed the manager for this yet!

I was listening to the game and the commentary team didn’t give any indication it was serious, and judging from the comments made about Wildschut’s body language after coming off, neither did the player..

I was simply judging the situation, as it was, at the time. Enjoy your moment of sanctimony though. State of it.
They said the player was giving indications that it was serious, but they (Radio Oxford) was wondering if his reactions was more about disappointment as it was his first game/wanting to impress etc, so I guess Wildschut knew/feared the worst.

It's not the medical team that should be scrutinised in that scenario... It's the people who think they know anything about sport science and entitle themselves to criticise the medical team. Majority of us, myself included, don't have a bloody clue.

This is just rotten luck. It's football. It happens. It might be we now up our efforts now to get Rak-Sakyi done as he will see there is an opportunity to play regularly at least until Xmas. Must admit I'm surprised nobody has blamed the manager for this yet!

Not for Wildschut but you have to question if Baldock's first game back from a knee injury on City's plastic pitch was a good idea. Subsequently out for two months.

We're a professional football league team who don't play on plastic pitches, there's no need for us to prepare for playing on one as there's only an slim chance of being drawn away to a club with one in the FA Cup.

If both clubs want to continue the annual friendly it should be at Grenoble Road going forward.

They said the player was giving indications that it was serious, but they (Radio Oxford) was wondering if his reactions was more about disappointment as it was his first game/wanting to impress etc, so I guess Wildschut knew/feared the worst.

At the time, it definitely sounded as though he was more disappointed about not being able to play for longer. Clearly, I misinterpreted the situation. Quite hard to get a clear idea of things when you’re listening on the radio, and RadOx are all over the shop sometimes haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom