Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing people can’t agree on aside from MM’s position is the spelling of his name.

It’s Marcus McGuane.

It isn’t Marcus Maguane.

Would anyone like to raise me on Marcus McGuane? I like Marcus Magwayne, personally.
Marcos Miguel?

He was the absolute definition of a league above when he featured for us. We had a very weak and disjointed team at the time yet he brought true quality and stability. Unless he's had a decline in recent years, I can only see him remaining in the Championship. If we landed someone of his caliber right now, it would solve a lot of problems.

Definite upgrade on what we have in that position, hope KR and the board are moving quickly.

From all of the names we have been linked with, Bate is exactly the type of player that you suggest we need!

Also, is Smyth going out on loan? Looked decent in pre-season. As we saw with Cooper, a loan doesn’t always work in their best interests. I’d be surprised if we let him go out on loan.

With the number of subs we're allowed to have this year, I wouldn't be surprise if he gets quite a bit of game time.

Jodi Jones & Jerome Sinclair then. Decisions?

-Jones - Like the look of him but I think now with Wildschut injured if he's going to be our only winger signing I'd say no, however if we were to sign Jones & maybe another forward on loan with Jones as backup then 100% with now being allowed 5 subs he's the type of player you'd want to bring on against tired legs but if Yanic is injured for any period of time we're really gonna need to get some real first team ready quality in.

-Sinclair - he's not been as bad as I've thought and quite the same as Jones if he's the only striker to be brought in then no but if he was to be signed alongside a top striker I think he's worth a punt for 6 months until Baldock is back.

I do think if Jones was to sign he'd have signed by now so not quite sure what's happening there especially with the hype around him early doors maybe Robbo thinks he can do better?

-Jones - Like the look of him but I think now with Wildschut injured if he's going to be our only winger signing I'd say no, however if we were to sign Jones & maybe another forward on loan with Jones as backup then 100% with now being allowed 5 subs he's the type of player you'd want to bring on against tired legs but if Yanic is injured for any period of time we're really gonna need to get some real first team ready quality in.

-Sinclair - he's not been as bad as I've thought and quite the same as Jones if he's the only striker to be brought in then no but if he was to be signed alongside a top striker I think he's worth a punt for 6 months until Baldock is back.

I do think if Jones was to sign he'd have signed by now so not quite sure what's happening there especially with the hype around him early doors maybe Robbo thinks he can do better?
It's more than likely that a decision on what to offer was being left to tomorrow as KR intimated after another on field performance.

If I have it correct, we currently have 17 registered players for next season, and we're allowed 22.

Assuming Jones and Murphy both sign, that puts us on 19 players, with 3 spaces left.

LB:
Seddon
Brown

CB:
Findlay
Moore
Brown

Long

RB:
Long
Forde

DM:
Gorrin
Smyth

McGuane

CM:
Brannagan
McGuane

Henry
Davis

CAM:
Bodin
Henry

LW/RW:
Browne
Murphy
Jones
Wildschut

ST:
Taylor
Baldock

Bold
is a rough guide to a players best position.

We absolutely have to get another left back in, and I think, another right back. That way we have genuine options at the back. As it is at the moment, an injury or suspension to either Seddon or Long means we're immediately down to the bare bones in defence.

With one more spot available, I'd want to see reinforcements in central midfield. Preferably someone combative who can give Brannagan, McGuane and Henry the protection to do what they do best. If Smyth does go on loan to Wrexham, and Bate comes in, then I think that frees up another squad place.

With the limitations on places, I'm struggling to see the value in signing Sinclair on unless we're fully confident he can do the business.

If I have it correct, we currently have 17 registered players for next season, and we're allowed 22.

Assuming Jones and Murphy both sign, that puts us on 19 players, with 3 spaces left.

LB:
Seddon
Brown

CB:
Findlay
Moore
Brown

Long

RB:
Long
Forde

DM:
Gorrin
Smyth

McGuane

CM:
Brannagan
McGuane

Henry
Davis

CAM:
Bodin
Henry

LW/RW:
Browne
Murphy
Jones
Wildschut

ST:
Taylor
Baldock

Bold

We absolutely have to get another left back in, and I think, another right back. That way we have genuine options at the back. As it is at the moment, an injury or suspension to either Seddon or Long means we're immediately down to the bare bones in defence.

With one more spot available, I'd want to see reinforcements in central midfield. Preferably someone combative who can give Brannagan, McGuane and Henry the protection to do what they do best. If Smyth does go on loan to Wrexham, and Bate comes in, then I think that frees up another squad place.

With the limitations on places, I'm struggling to see the value in signing Sinclair on unless we're fully confident he can do the business.

Don’t forget 3 goalkeepers means an extra spot is taken

LB:
Seddon
Brown

CB:
Findlay
Moore
Brown

Long

RB:
Long
Forde

DM:
Gorrin
Smyth

McGuane

CM:
Brannagan
McGuane

Henry
Davis

CAM:
Bodin
Henry

LW/RW:
Browne
Murphy
Jones
Wildschut

ST:
Taylor
Baldock

Bold

The third keeper counts towards the 22 I believe, and we also have Mous at this stage. My understanding is that you only need to finalise your squad numbres after the window has closed, so I wonder if we offer Sinclair a short term deal as cover for Baldock for the first few weeks. He could still be on our books until January but not registered for EFL games meaning that he could play in the Pizza cup if needed.

I can't see Ben Davis being registered, I'd hope we wouldn't waste what could be a valuable squad place on someone just because he has a large following. Lewis Bate also wouldn't need to be registered so after all that I count 18 (Including McGinty, Murphy & Jones) which is enough for 5 more signings if we should need it.

If KRob pulls off the signing of Josh Murphy it could be the L1 signing of the summer.

FYXSSgvXoAE6i_l

Don’t forget 3 goalkeepers means an extra spot is taken
I'd be amazed if we registered all three. Absolutely no need to.

Has Davis shown enough to take a squad place? If not then farm him out on loan, talk of Smythe going out too which means a couple of spaces extra. Full back for each side, a big lad who can break things up in midfield and another striker, preferably offering something different would be my priorities.

I wouldn’t sign Jones or Sinclair unless we couldn’t fund a full squad of quality players and had space for 2 at the end of the window.

Get Jones & Murphy signed up then we 3/4 quarters of a squad ready to compete well at this level but there’s key areas we need to address if we are serious about getting close to promotion this season.

Right Back - Todd Kane yes please that would take us up a level in quality in 1 of the 2 positions we are desperate to improve on RB & LB (despite playing a fair amount of championship games he’s been a bit of a journey man at that level he’s constantly getting moved)

Left Back - desperate need for a defensive LB who can read the danger sign everything Seddon can’t do (I would start Ciaron Brown as a Left Back until this issue is sorted.

Defensive Midfielder - McGuane looks to be the replacement for Kane from a creative element in DCM, now Smyth likely to go on loan & Gorrin who still some way off & any injury to him again puts us back into a vulnerable position again like last season (it’s about learning from your mistakes & addressing the issues this time round) I’ve always wanted to see an upgrade on Gorrin this season

Striker - We have to put Baldock in the bracket of 3rd option now, on his day he’s excellent but we can’t rely on his body there’s always an injury in him (long term more times than not) we need someone on a level par with Taylor or even 1 better, Simms WOW that would show real intent but realistically he’s likely to find a championship club, but we need 2 very good strikers at this level to be available week in week out bit like Pompey have signed last week in Pigott & Bishop

Last edited:
I'd be amazed if we registered all three. Absolutely no need to.

Has Davis shown enough to take a squad place? If not then farm him out on loan, talk of Smythe going out too which means a couple of spaces extra. Full back for each side, a big lad who can break things up in midfield and another striker, preferably offering something different would be my priorities.
I think goal keepers are included in the squad size for 2022-3

It seems crazy to register 3 goalies, but what if 1 goalie gets injured can we replace him with the 3rd goalie?
Also bizarrely when one goalie gets injured it is sods law the 2nd goalie gets injured as well.

I think goal keepers are included in the squad size for 2022-3

Keepers aren't included in the 22 man squad, regardless of the number of them so we don't have to register one of the keepers.

From the EFL website:

44.9 Squad Lists

44.9.1 Clubs shall be permitted to name up to a maximum number of Players in their Squad List based on the following provisions:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, 25 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player; and
(b) in respect of League One and Two Clubs 22 Players of which a minimum of 8 must be a Home Grown Player.

44.9.2 The following Players do not need to be included in the Squad List to be eligible to play in League Matches:

(a) in respect of Championship Clubs, any Under 21 Player (save for any Under 21 Player who is registered with the Club on a Temporary Loan Transfer); and
(b) in respect of League One Clubs and League Two Clubs:
(i) any Under 21 Players; and
(ii) goalkeepers.

Something actually dated recently which paraphrases the above rules:

The third keeper counts towards the 22 I believe, and we also have Mous at this stage. My understanding is that you only need to finalise your squad numbres after the window has closed, so I wonder if we offer Sinclair a short term deal as cover for Baldock for the first few weeks. He could still be on our books until January but not registered for EFL games meaning that he could play in the Pizza cup if needed.
Yes I guess Davis Mous and maybe Sinclair would be in the squad if there was room but not if a higher rated player needed the place

LB:
Seddon
Brown

CB:
Findlay
Moore
Brown

Long

RB:
Long
Forde

DM:
Gorrin
Smyth

McGuane

CM:
Brannagan
McGuane

Henry
Davis

CAM:
Bodin
Henry

LW/RW:
Browne
Murphy
Jones
Wildschut

ST:
Taylor
Baldock

Bold

That doesn't take into account the fact that U21s don't count towards the cap, so we have availability to cover squad gaps with the right PL loans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom