Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

KR said: “We’re quite comfortable with what we have here, which we’re building on for next year."

Cue the forum meltdown.
Karl is trolling us. When asked whether we were signing anyone, he looked casual and said ‘Don’t know, maybe I won’t bother. Who’s asking anyway?’

KR said: “We’re quite comfortable with what we have here, which we’re building on for next year."

Cue the forum meltdown.
It wouldn't surprise me. I get a real sense of nothingness from our summer so far, just feels like there's no urgency now the season ticket money is banked.

Cue the forum meltdown.
Presumably he means we have a decent starting XI in the house already, plus a handful of decent backups, and we are looking to add to and improve upon this base with the signings we are working on.....

.... sounds fair enough to me

Are we on par with Pompey and Barnsley though? Pompey and Bolton are bigger clubs than us, with a bigger fan base. Barnsley are fresh from the Championship and in terms of attendances, get more through the door than us. I'm actually one of those who would like a bit more action in the transfer market but actually seeing this post from you has made me think how many bigger teams there are competing for players.
In attendance figures only, we'll be lucky to break into the top 10 next season.

Presumably he means we have a decent starting XI in the house already, plus a handful of decent backups, and we are looking to add to and improve upon this base with the signings we are working on.....

.... sounds fair enough to me

It's what's needed. We've signed a team that finished 8th last year. It's a good team but miles from being one that will finish top two. If the shopping list is five players, they need to be here soon.

I'm worried that we've finished our business with forwards barring an additional winger. That leaves us with the following and their ages - Taylor (32), Baldock (33), Bodin (30), Henry (33) and Browne (24). There are huge limitations to this.

Firstly, succession planning will have to kick in very quickly to freshen that forward line up. Get promoted and I think you're replacing two to three, maybe even four of those, in the Championship.

Secondly, in 2004-05 we started the season with Bradbury and Mooney up front. Good on paper, but way too slow as a frontline. It was only when Diaz introduced Craig Davies into the mix did we start picking up results again after the uselessness of Rix. I can see a similar scenario happening here with our play getting bogged down by players who have lost that half yard of pace. Sure, Taylor and Baldock don't rely on it like a Michael Owen-style player, but you need a bit of zip up top. None of those players have it.

I'll wait and see to what KR brings in but with each passing day, my expectation for the coming campaign is dropping. Not that we've missed out on anyone in particular, just that expecting a different result with the same team, all one year older seems like a very odd recipe for promotion.

“The loan players will be going with their teams on the first bit of their pre-season tours, and we’re still working hard with one or two deals as well.”

Sounds like there are a couple of permanent transfers Karl is working on as well as the loans.

Hopefully one of the loan players will be Herbie Kane. He's got such quality that I think we will be a team that should easily make the playoffs and could even be pushing for the automatics.

Hopefully two of those loan players we would be looking at are Callum Doyle from Man City, who was on loan at Sunderland last season and Norton-Cuffy from Arsenal, who was with Lincoln for the second half of last season. Both are currently playing in the u19 Euros.

Doyle, by all accounts, did very well for Sunderland. Haven’t heard much about Norton-Cuffy, and his loan at Lincoln. I’d really like us to pursue Dane Scarlett as well, but I haven’t heard anything on that.

It’s the same old shite every summer. We are slowly mastering stagnation. It’s starting to feel like the Wilder days, and the support for the manager appears to be waning.

Maybe a change of personnel to freshen things up, and take us to the next level.
The manager seems happy enough, so presumably he's getting support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom