Has played at a higher level ✅

Is still only 24 ✅

Plays at international level ✅

Is available on a free transfer ✅

Can cover left back and left centre back in a three ✅

Ticks all the boxes for me.
Also has a good throw in.
He does need a proper haircut though.

I do like Ciaron Brown, he has a good attitude and was 100% committed during his time with us (something that is often questioned of loanees).

But I would say that if we sign him and use his long throws, I hope that someone let's the rest of the team know about them! I can't think of a single occasion where we were first to the ball, let alone create a chance from them! They also seemed a bit loopy, and I would rather see them thrown in lower and at pace.

If we get them right, then we should be able to create loads of chances directly or by using the near post flick ons that were the theme of our '96 promotion team.

Add in someone like Bodin with the set piece delivery, and we should score plenty.

I liked him he got the tackles in when it mattered the bonus of the long throw but as the poster above says hope the rest of the team know.
A free and I bet he enjoyed his spell with us.

That’s an insult to Jake Wright that you’ve compared him to Ciaron Brown.

Wright was 10x the player.
Jake Wright actually looked like garbage when he first came. Many questioning who we had signed. It took him a few games to start looking like the player he was. Brown was similar in the short time he was here so who knows what would happen if he signed for longer...

I do like Ciaron Brown, he has a good attitude and was 100% committed during his time with us (something that is often questioned of loanees).

But I would say that if we sign him and use his long throws, I hope that someone let's the rest of the team know about them! I can't think of a single occasion where we were first to the ball, let alone create a chance from them! They also seemed a bit loopy, and I would rather see them thrown in lower and at pace.

If we get them right, then we should be able to create loads of chances directly or by using the near post flick ons that were the theme of our '96 promotion team.

Add in someone like Bodin with the set piece delivery, and we should score plenty.
Mate, I think this is the first time you've come closest to having a moan, see it hasn't killed you ! 😉

Can't remember who linked us to Josh Vela but it sound like he's still talking to clubs after initially looking like signing a new contract with Shrewsbury and then looking certain to join Fleetwood. Could still be an Oxford player next season.

Yep I did. Was reliant on a few things…but clearly no interest staying at Shrewsbury.

Also heard we are back after Holland with another League One club and that wages aren’t as crazy as is perceived.

See what happens!

Brown would be underwhelming for me. He did perfectly fine for us but it should be pointed out that our left side of defence was a consistent problem so anybody capable would stand out. But I won’t rob him of the fact he did improve us in that time.

I like his versatility and he had moments for us but I wouldn’t be sad to miss out on him. There may be no obvious alternatives right now but we have had many far better defenders at the club in recent times so I’d rather we kept our options open.

He played in the championship but by all accounts was not a popular member of the Cardiff squad and is now searching for his level and maybe a 12th-6th team in league one is that level, but then maybe not. We’re aiming a little higher with every year that passes and this signing doesn’t do it for me.

All this said we are thin on the ground defensively so if he’s content with a squad role for 12 months and a year option then fine, he’s very useful. But my verdict would be to bide our time.

Does every player in a league one team need to be able to play a bit? It’s not the champions league and the promoted teams were all more functional than us, that works at this level.

Although I actually thought Brown was one of our more potent attacking threats by the end just because he was direct.

People love Anthony Stewart as a defender, but Wycombe set up to play a style of football that means he plays hardly any passes compared to other centre backs. I daresay he wouldn't be the same player in our team. I would have no complaints at all if we went more direct on occasion, but I don't think we will, and that's partly why I'm not sold on Brown. I'm sure if you put him into a more direct team then he would look the part, but I don't see the logic of us signing him to expose his weaknesses.

Would take a punt on Kyle Hudlin, just scored for Solihull in the playoff final. At 6 ft 9 he's the tallest player in the top 5 divisions in English football, not slow either. Would certainly offer us something a bit different up top although no chance Hot Dog Eales would do us any favours!

If we get a third striker I hope he's something different to Taylor and Baldock

Would take a punt on Kyle Hudlin, just scored for Solihull in the playoff final. At 6 ft 9 he's the tallest player in the top 5 divisions in English football, not slow either. Would certainly offer us something a bit different up top although no chance Hot Dog Eales would do us any favours!

If we get a third striker I hope he's something different to Taylor and Baldock
Not for me - less than 1 goal every four games at conference level, we should be looking to do a lot better.

Not for me - less than 1 goal every four games at conference level, we should be looking to do a lot better.
Not uncommon for target men to have lower strike rates. They’re typically asked to do a job for the team as a priority with goals a secondary concern.

Last edited:
You don't usually judge target men by their goalscoring record. He hasn't lost a single header this game, there's a reason there's been interest from clubs higher up the table than us.

If we signed a top target man at this level, you'd probably be disappointed by his goalscoring record either way...

You don't usually judge target men by their goalscoring record. He hasn't lost a single header this game, there's a reason there's been interest from clubs higher up the table than us.

If we signed a top target man at this level, you'd probably be disappointed by his goalscoring record either way...
Remember Kevin Francis

Fair point but I din’t see him suiting the way our manager wants to play.

If he can head the ball across from one side of the pitch to the other, and inexplicably run straight off the pitch with the ball after a good run, I say sign him on.
I remember him once covering the breadth of the centre circle in just three strides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom