Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking on the bright side; the start of October's a good time to recruit a young manager with modern ideas who wants to work with the board to build an organisation that can establish OUFC as a Champeenship club. Let's hope the board can avoid getting another wrong'un.
A root and branch rebuild of the entire infrastructure is required, no doubts there. Commercial, marketing, ticketing and retail all need attention. Maybe the thinking is to put all this on hold and await the new stadium, I hope not. We have a few years before the stadium will come to fruition. If it were me, I would want everything in place now, with an experienced team ready to promote the hell out of a full blown Championship side playing in a state of the art ground. I want to think that is what the board want as well.

So, yes, getting a new manager in now, would be good.

Ah, the tinted spectacles as soon as on opinion differed to yours, righty, I’ll join the happy clappers on the positive bus or whatever you decide to brand us as most recently
We’ll that’s two of you but the the other is the driver but you could be the redundant clippy

Im

I'm not ITK, but if I were them, I would not complete the takeover until the stadium passes planning. At the moment, they hold all the leverage. If OCC refuse planning, they walk away and the club is then probably looking at an AFC Wimbledon scenario. And OCC won't want thst. But as soon as they complete the takeover, they're on the hook. And if planning is refused, what are they left with? A loss making L1 club with a core fanbase of 6-8,000. In a disgusting stadium with a greedy landlord and a lease with 3-4 years to go. Would you invest in that? I wouldn't.

While I get the risk involved. Wouldn't it of made sense to build on last season momentum with the increased crowds which would support the need for a new stadium even more. Instead we've gone backwards on and off the field.

Strategically avoided, fair enough, what I would say is we all know what happens when you cry wolf. Possibly we could do better than KR, we could most certainly do a hell of a lot worse.
But we could get a replacement who's a dam site better in the transfer market.

I knew this season wasn’t going to be up to much once Robinson said we should be happy to be in league one with big clubs like Charlton and Fleetwood (or whoever it was), really seemed to be trying to lower expectations. Scotchegg went missing as well so if the positivity fairy can’t find anything good to say then it must have turned to s**t.

After all the promises this window has fallen flat and left is in a worse position, lost good, athletic players in McNally, Williams, Whyte, Sykes and Hanson (can you spot the odd one out there) and have bought in players who don’t actually seem to play much football, which doesn’t seem a good thing when that’s the most important thing.

Overall Robinsons weakness with squad balance has been balanced out with having good players over the last few years, not certain we have enough fit ones for that to work now, this season will be a lower mid table slog at best.

Robinson has finally done for himself though with his obsession with project players, always wasted time and money on them before but not in this number, must have 5/6 players on good money in a small squad who can’t be relied upon. They have never worked out in the past and they won’t work out now, there is a reason the crocks end up here.

The next manager, personally I reckon we will be replacing Robinson about late November, will have a hell of a job overhauling this squad that Robinson has jumbled together to make a cogent one, it will take him a year and a half or more, that’s how badly this window, which was a huge opportunity has been handled.

It’s like we are in limbo now, most sensible people know it’s the end for Karl Robinson here, just waiting for a tough run of fixtures to expose what has happened and for the owners to cotton onto the mess that has been made of it all. Fingers crossed and we get lucky and some one wants to take Robinson off our hands, I think for us and him that would be the ideal scenario but it seems unlikely.

just waiting for a tough run of fixtures to expose what has happened and for the owners to cotton onto the mess that has been made of it all
Upcoming Fixtures, after Burton it's pretty tough up to the end of October, only Fleetwood (H) and maybe Exeter (A) that you'd be expecting wins...
1662108563137.png

Might have to bring my date he goes forward to the end of October, I can’t see us taking many points from those fixtures with this team.
I was just about to post about this. End of October is D-Day for OUFC and Karl Robinson, IMO. Anything less than top 10 and we should be looking elsewhere for someone to change things up before Christmas and prepare for the January window.

Two months to prove you are still the right man for the job Karl. No bullsh*t excuses, this is your team like you built it. Now get to it, starting tomorrow!

Weirdly, it’s still a recoverable situation. Just had a quick scan of the free agent list and there’s some surprisingly decent options around.

Andy Carroll anyone?

Ormonde-Ottewill would actually be a very decent capture as well. Seemed bound for the championship all summer but still available.

Weirdly, it’s still a recoverable situation. Just had a quick scan of the free agent list and there’s some surprisingly decent options around.

Andy Carroll anyone?

Ormonde-Ottewill would actually be a very decent capture as well. Seemed bound for the championship all summer but still available.
Andy Carroll is just the kind of reliable, injury free player we need right now.

Andy Carroll anyone?

Yes but these are probably unfit players. We need players ready to compete now.

Anderson has not played much in the last year, so will take a good 2-3 weeks to feature more and more in match day's.

While I get the risk involved. Wouldn't it of made sense to build on last season momentum with the increased crowds which would support the need for a new stadium even more. Instead we've gone backwards on and off the field.
Yep and it seemed quite a routine task come end of last season - bring in two defenders, two midfielders and two strikers as a starting point to compliment the existing squad and then it begins to represent a framework where we have a first 11 and then each position adequately covered. Instead we spent ages chasing a 3rd goalkeeper for big money whilst not knowing who was gonna be number one and then bringing in a CB as another departed. We then wasted time on two players who were training with us for weeks and then made a few rapid signings who became injured after 5 minutes and we were by then worse than square one.

Robinson's reluctance to bring in an established striker will always haunt so many windows because relying on our midfield to relentlessly deliver goals is really taking its toll especially with so many key absentees. It's fine scoring 5 against Orient reserves and a free kick and penalties but from open play, we pose no real threat now even against the weaker sides. A few months back we were scoring 3 goals a game.

Question: Will the Oxford Mail or Radio Oxford actually start reporting, which means posing not only difficult questions to Robinson about this transfer window, but the MD, new FD, etc? I'll get my coat - silly question, investigative journalism by local reporters........

Just glad I can't watch iFollow this weekend and therefore I will at least miss PRB's endless corporate OUFC drivel!

Andy Carroll is just the kind of reliable, injury free player we need right now.

Yes but these are probably unfit players. We need players ready to compete now.

Anderson has not played much in the last year, so will take a good 2-3 weeks to feature more and more in match day's.
It was really tongue-in-cheek, chaps. That left back has been playing regularly though and has been strongly linked with champ clubs. So that’s a genuine shout.

Andy Carroll surprisingly managed quite a few games last season, mind. And even on one leg if you put the ball in the box with any kind of quality… Ah. Nevermind.

I was very positive at the start of the window we had kept the core of a good squad and emptied out some dead wood (Winnall , Hanson). We knew what we had lost in an attacking sense (Whyte, Holland, Sykes, Kane) so replacements needed here. Where we needed strengthening was defense (we simply shipped goals last season). We where short on center backs before McNally left, we had doubts over Long finding form, and Seddon had been written off half a season ago as not good enough. Williams and Forde were good utility players who filled in well but i think most of us would have preferred some specialized options (the loss of them at the time in order to strengthen seemed not to be a blow). Add to this Gorrin's injury and lack of cover for him and its obvious what we needed. In my mind this was
2 strikers,
3 attacking midfielders preferably can play wide and with pace,
1 defensive midfielder,
1 right back,
2 left backs,
3 center backs.
A better goalie would have been nice but not the most critical signing.
Mous then moves to coaching and Seddon goes out on loan.
Baldock and Browne were worth a punts but there had to be cover and that had to be the limit of the injury prone players

Now that sounds a lot but some of this could be loans, our young players stepping up to fill the gaps.

So what we got:
Strikers - Had we signed another first team striker (to cover for the inevitable injury to Baldock) then Joesph as a young lad adding something extra would have sounded like a good addition. However without that cover we now rely heavily on him, and an aging Taylor, or some untried youngsters. Overall - Ok but another player needed
Attacking Midfielders - Bate i think its too early to tell but has potential. However the Murphy and Wildscut were risks that so far have massively backfired. The Jones signing is simply inexplicable it seems like he was signed because he was in the building. Having to rely on Henry and Bodin is exposing our lack of pace, and of course Browne is injured. the lack of utility players like Williams and Forde I think is really going to hurt us. Overall - Poor signings, weakened from last season
Defensive Midfielders - Gorrin is taking an long time to recover and its a concern over just what level he will return to. Smyth seems be unwanted at the moment so is not his cover. Thank heavens for McGuane who while is not the best in this role is playing brilliantly. Overall - No real cover added still a player short
Right back - Long has started the season and has not really recovered his best form. Until now his cover has been Golding and I'm not sure if its a little to soon for him, but lets hope he takes his chance. Is Anderson the answer, lets hope so. Overall - Cover bought in late we could be OK
Left Back - Seddon is suddenly back as the main and in fact only player in this position unless we sacrifice Brown as a center back. The failure to replace Seddon and add another player here is simply astounding. Overall - We are massively weak here
Centerbacks - Findlay seems a decent enough player (not a McNally but good enough). Brown has found some decent form. Moore is unlucky to be injured, and as mentioned Golding has a chance to shine. The fact that Mous is still in the squad is either a great credit to him and or an indication we did not bring in enough cover here. Overall - Decent enough however very little cover without completely re configuring the defense.
Goalkeepers - McGinty seems to has promise but maybe not the finished article. Sending Stevens out on loan and keeping Eastwood is somewhat controversial. Overall - No real change from last season unless McGinty improves and takes the number 1 spot.

So overall we have failed to strengthen in just about any area over last season. Defense remains a weak point with very little cover (left back especially). The big concern though is that our attacking midfield options have been greatly weakened (as the new players are injured). We look unlikely to score as many this season as last and we are likely to concede just as many. This leaves us in a very difficult position. We will need our best players to step up and stay fit. We will need our young players fill the holes in the squad and we will need a bit of luck. Even then this looks like a mid table squad (at best) and I doubt we will challenge for the play offs (unless out injured players return and change things). I think the next few weeks are going to be difficult especially for Karl. A lot is now riding on his skills.

This transfer window has been an utter disaster and I agree with all the fans hoping that our owners know this are already making changes behind the scenes to fix things in time for January.

Last edited:
These owners just because they've enquired about some land shouldn't get off the hook so lightly.
They spent millions on upgrading the club’s training facilities, declined pocketing seven figures for Brannagan and then gave him the club’s biggest contract ever, and spent a small fortune on wages for multiple players as well as fees. Findlay and Wildschut cost over half a million in fees plus nearly 10k a week in combined wages, Murphy’s signing fees plus salary is worth the best part of a million over two seasons, and they were willing to fund club record deals on strikers. They also made Elliott Moore one of the best paid centre backs in the entire division to keep him. Anderson turned into a goose chase but all-in he’s costing good money for the season as well. We’re spending twice as much on him as we could’ve spent on just getting a kid in on loan, or picking up a bog standard backup on a free. We could’ve just kept Forde if we weren’t bothered.

If they weren’t arsed none of this would’ve happened, they would have just given the training ground a fresh lick of paint and signed a bunch of L1 journeymen on free transfers to keep things ticking over. I can’t deny that they appear to have taken their eye off the ball in terms of structure and organisation, but nobody can say they’re all talk and no trousers on the spending front. There is too much hard evidence of really big spending and investment for that to hold any water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom