Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh get it, we have wealthy owners which should immediately mean players join a club with a 3 sided stadium who average around 7-8k a week in support depending on how well the team are doing. Why would they chose that over teams with 20k+ supporters and a recent history of being in the higher leagues. Silly me, I thought as soon as a player is available and wanted by our fans forum they should be signing for us regardless of who else is in for them, I mean this is basically football manager, right?

Bloody Thomas-Asante choosing a team recently in the prem, Camara choosing a team with the second biggest budget in the league, we should be signing these players!
You sign the best players from clubs smaller than you that see it as a step up, much like our Irish signings. There are lots of those in Leagues One and Two. Unfortunately we focused on signing players destined for much bigger clubs and consistently missed out. Its simply poor recruitment with no strategy and no organisation.

That’s the problem, it’s an expectation! We expect to be the Sheff Wed’s and Ipswich’s of this league. We all want to be competing with these sides, and we have done, but it can’t be an expectation. We have no divine right to be a top side in this league, is it what we want? Of course. But we can’t outright expect it like so many on here seem to.
Our expectation comes directly from the noises made by the people in charge of our club though. 'We are a good side'. 'We want to be a top 30 club'. 'We want to get our transfer business done early'. 'We are working hard to get new people in'. 'Our aim is promotion'. Then there are the millions of pounds spent on the training ground. The millions put aside for a new stadium. The supposed top 4 budget, a lot seemingly unspent. The massive wages busters in the last few weeks to keep Brannagan, sign Murphy, sign Wildschut, sign Baldock, and before that the expensive loan signing of Kane, and the large fee spent for Browne and his big wages as well. We are allowed to have higher expectations because we are forever being told to expect better. And unfortunately it is not just the transfer window that has been poor at the football club over the past few months, there have been many faults all over the club in every department.

We could all be proved wrong and the team do exceptionally well. And our manager will become a hero as a result. But even if this were the case I would still look back and say that the transfer window of Summer 2022 was dreadful. And if young players suddenly do become superstars and play a key role in the club's on field success this would not be due to the manager because in the eyes of the manager they are a means of last resort as he has already brought in players that meant these youngsters would never have got a look in and he never intended for them to be close to the first team. No doubt he would revel in their success, take the plaudits, and for years say how he made these players, but it really would be a happy accident not of the managers making. A good manager in any business makes sure that things are running smoothly without the need to rely on huge slices of luck to achieve success. There can be little doubt that KR is now under huge pressure to make things work because if he doesn't things could turn ugly very quickly, the pages and pages on here indicate that he has lost much support and trust from the fanbase already. His strategy appears to be haphazard, a huge gamble, or a poor error of judgement. There are still plenty of resources to fall back on that could still make this reasonably successful, but it didn't need to have been made as difficult as it currently seems to be.

I neither believe we should rightfully top 4 nor do I believe we will get relegated but a few more injuries and we are dangerously close to fielding 3 or 4 young lads.

It’s not just this window. It’s the last 4 or 5. He’s messed every single one of them up in one way or another. Other successful managers get their business done early and add 1 or 2 finishing touches. Us? No. We are scrambling around for everyone else’s leftovers & that is not acceptable. Not saying we should expect to sign Camara or Hardie etc. I’m not naive, it’s not just about money but to not get quality in who would be prepared to move just shows to me how poor our forward planning is & it must be addressed.

It was not my intention to ridicule you for having the opinion you do or make you feel that way so if I did I apologise as everyone is entitled to one and we all want the same thing at the end of the day but this window has been a shambles & KR must take responsibility for it & he may well end up doing so by paying for it with his job if results go the wrong way because I think from many fans he will now get very little sympathy.
No you didn’t at all, it just seems a regular feature of this forum towards other posters and different opinions of late (in general, not you).

That aside, and as I posed to Mellow, are there that many managers out there who would want to take us on given the uncertainty around stadiums etc? I’m not KR’s biggest fan by any means, and I agree with the transfer window being not much short of a disaster, but I also think we could do a hell of a lot worse in charge and need to be careful what we wish for.

You sign the best players from clubs smaller than you that see it as a step up, much like our Irish signings. There are lots of those in Leagues One and Two. Unfortunately we focused on signing players destined for much bigger clubs and consistently missed out. Its simply poor recruitment with no strategy and no organisation.
You may well be right but the truth is we just don’t know. If the club and Karl had a strategy they didn’t communicate it to the fans- and if you don’t do that then we will draw our own conclusions especially when results are a long way from top 4 form which was supposedly what the budget is…….that’s the reality of any results based business!!!

You may well be right but the truth is we just don’t know. If the club and Karl had a strategy they didn’t communicate it to the fans- and if you don’t do that then we will draw our own conclusions especially when results are a long way from top 4 form which was supposedly what the budget is…….that’s the reality of any results based business!!!
The other common outcome for managers who fail to achieve targets in a results based business as part of an overall plan is that ultimately they are moved on but not before the owners have a better option lined up to replace and make changes that prevented success before!!!

No you didn’t at all, it just seems a regular feature of this forum towards other posters and different opinions of late (in general, not you).

That aside, and as I posed to Mellow, are there that many managers out there who would want to take us on given the uncertainty around stadiums etc? I’m not KR’s biggest fan by any means, and I agree with the transfer window being not much short of a disaster, but I also think we could do a hell of a lot worse in charge and need to be careful what we wish for.
I like how KR represents the club publicly & would say he is extremely committed to his job but I feel like he is blinkered and unable to deal with everything. He needs someone above him who can take some pressure off. Thinking quickly. I could suggest Mark Warburton, Mark Bonner. Take a punt on a prem no2 who has aspirations to be a no1. I think personally we need a younger innovative manager. Think KR is very stuck in his ways and very easily read these days. Teams know how to stifle us and the way we play and we have no plan B other than to throw 4 forwards on the pitch if we are chasing the game and hope for the best. Wouldn’t be adverse to them even giving Andy Whing a chance looking at the great job he’s doing at Banbury with a fraction of the budget.

I like how KR represents the club publicly & would say he is extremely committed to his job but I feel like he is blinkered and unable to deal with everything. He needs someone above him who can take some pressure off. Thinking quickly. I could suggest Mark Warburton, Mark Bonner. Take a punt on a prem no2 who has aspirations to be a no1. I think personally we need a younger innovative manager. Think KR is very stuck in his ways and very easily read these days. Teams know how to stifle us and the way we play and we have no plan B other than to throw 4 forwards on the pitch if we are chasing the game and hope for the best. Wouldn’t be adverse to them even giving Andy Whing a chance looking at the great job he’s doing at Banbury with a fraction of the budget.
If we aren’t on track for top 4 at Christmas the board need a plan b but - I can’t see anything majorly disruptive happening before that, and I’m broadly supportive of at least giving him the next 4 months.

I’m giving the club 10-12 games before casting judgment, the last week has shown distinct improvement.

The one key player we haven’t replaced is Sykes. Maybe the Dutchman will fit the bill, let’s give him a chance to shine.

Depressing, downbeat thread.
Beating a poor Cheltenham side 2-1 who lost 7-0 only a few weeks prior & beating orients reserves 5-0? Granted we put orient to the sword with no issues. That Cheltenham game was touch and go until Cam changed the game for us. Our performances at home are the real concern for me. It was a fortress last season. It doesn’t feel like that this season though.

If we aren’t on track for top 4 at Christmas the board need a plan b but - I can’t see anything majorly disruptive happening before that, and I’m broadly supportive of at least giving him the next 4 months.
Oh no doubt he will get till Christmas minimum, but if results go the wrong way, then the Kassam may become a toxic environment for him. I’m just personally disappointed we have a squad of only 18 registered players and 2 players who he wanted to get rid of, so basically 6 spots available and of those 16 a few are injured as well.

Oh no doubt he will get till Christmas minimum, but if results go the wrong way, then the Kassam may become a toxic environment for him. I’m just personally disappointed we have a squad of only 18 registered players and 2 players who he wanted to get rid of, so basically 6 spots available and of those 16 a few are injured as well.
Difficult to argue with those stats!! I’ve said before clearly him and the board need to explain themselves and show us a plan that justifies how we will end up in a better position than 20 of the 24 clubs we are competing against come may next year. The board saying we are a top 30 English club needs to be backed up on the touch line and the pitch!

OuFc aren’t going to sign top class players that will blow league 1 apart unless they have injury or attitude issues that the coach thinks he can affect positively at Oxford!

OuFc aren’t going to sign top class players that will blow league 1 apart unless they have injury or attitude issues that the coach thinks he can affect positively at Oxford!
If we really have a top 4 budget - share it and show us the real numbers

Of course they would if there was a proper recruitment process with the budget we have.

Enough for me. Hopefully he will be gone by he time I revisit the site. Here's hoping anyway. Goodnight all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom